Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  48
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned R7 V Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    It was not simply due to age.

The opposition coaches paid him respect in the 2 games leading up to the Richmond game. They put the best tall defender on him, knowing he is a star and the only tall potential goal kicker. In the Carlton game Jones (with support) kept Naughton (who had to stand alone) to 2 marks.

Where were RichmondÂ’s best tall defenders. Never got closer than 100 metres because they were in the grandstand.

Once our coaches get over this win their priority must be doing what many forum contributors have pointed out - protect Naughton and give him the support on the ground that he deserves.
    You know it's allowed to be fun sometimes right?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Because he’s 19. Too many don’t seem to understand that young players are going to have flat games, quiet patches. That’s simply due to age. You can’t possibly expect top flight performance week in, week out from a 19 year old. It is unfair on them, and unrealistic. He was terrific last night and fully deserves the accolades.
    He also doesn't exactly have a ton of experience as a forward and knowledge of how to work though various defensive techniques. He has some insight as a defender and he has his raw skillset but there's still clearly so much for him to learn

Post Thanks / Like

The opposition coaches paid him respect in the 2 games leading up to the Richmond game. They put the best tall defender on him, knowing he is a star and the only tall potential goal kicker. In the Carlton game Jones (with support) kept Naughton (who had to stand alone) to 2 marks.

Where were RichmondÂ’s best tall defenders. Never got closer than 100 metres because they were in the grandstand.

Once our coaches get over this win their priority must be doing what many forum contributors have pointed out - protect Naughton and give him the support on the ground that he deserves.
    At the risk of sounding like a child - yes it was. The rest of your post does nothing to answer that. Fact is, 19 year old players will go through lean patches. Richmond having players out doesn't take away from what he was able to do. Giving him support won't change the fact he is 19, and young players don't always perform at a consistent level.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree we must look out for Naughton and provide him with support I also think making injury excuses for the opposition to explain a loss is as pointless as it is when we make them to explain why we lost.
    Very rarely does the best 22 for each team play against each other.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I agree we must look out for Naughton and provide him with support I also think making injury excuses for the opposition to explain a loss is as pointless as it is when we make them to explain why we lost.
    Hardwick said they could have had Jesus Christ on him and they couldn't have stopped his high marking
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No one is making excuses for Richmond’s loss, I am glad they did and I don’t care what caused it! No one is reducing the Dogs great win in any way

What I did was state a fact that was predicted in this forum, and point out how it gives insight into future strategies that might make great wins more frequent than they have been.

I am sorry if a simple observation that the selectors have not been giving developing players a sensible support structure offends so many.

9. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    You know it's allowed to be fun sometimes right?
    Who says it’s not fun? I certainly enjoyed being there and all the Dogs supporters I know are still on a high.

Who doesn’t want to maximise the fun? Who doesn’t want the fun to continue for the rest of the season?

Stating relevant facts does nothing to reduce the enjoyment and its only downside is it could lead to overdosing on fun. We deserve it.

Post Thanks / Like

No one is making excuses for Richmond’s loss, I am glad they did and I don’t care what caused it! No one is reducing the Dogs great win in any way

What I did was state a fact that was predicted in this forum, and point out how it gives insight into future strategies that might make great wins more frequent than they have been.

I am sorry if a simple observation that the selectors have not been giving developing players a sensible support structure offends so many.
    Compressed down, I think you are asking that every head coach and oppo tactics coach/manager now has to 'second man up' Naughton and/or play a loose man in front of him. So then what is our response to (a) help Naughton deal with this new, foreign, physical attention as he develops and (b) what is tactical response to this, if Naughton is drawing a crowd; is it to add another KPF to spread defences, or making sure our extra is doing something other than clogging up space. Is this the question?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Compressed down, I think you are asking that every head coach and oppo tactics coach/manager now has to 'second man up' Naughton and/or play a loose man in front of him. So then what is our response to (a) help Naughton deal with this new, foreign, physical attention as he develops and (b) what is tactical response to this, if Naughton is drawing a crowd; is it to add another KPF to spread defences, or making sure our extra is doing something other than clogging up space. Is this the question?
    If Naughton is getting double teamed, kick it to Bont.

What do I win?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes hujsh, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to burst your euphoria bubble but, didnÂ’t you notice who Richmond had missing?

That said, it was a great win in two ways.

1. It gives the supporters some hope and
    2. It shows the selection committee what leads to a win.

Kicking instead of handball works, as naysayers have been saying for years - 240 kicks opens up the game, allows teammates to run into position. Only the second time in 50 games.

Having a big body on a tall opposition forward works. Confirms it should have been done against Carlton as the naysayers said.

Naughton had a magnificent game but why does that follow 2 goalless games and 3 goals in 5 games? The naysayers have been giving the answer in these threads all year. It will be interesting to see if the selectors know which levers to pull to keep the goals flowing.

Enjoy the win and look forward to some more, but keep giving constructive advice. The club still needs naysayers.
    On the other hand Richmond's performances were vastly overrated in 17/18 because they have barely had an injury and the year they won their flag they got 3 soft kills in a row set up for them on their homeground instead of the pressure of finals.

I can guarantee that you that if a few other clubs got the easy conditions that Richmond were presented with in 2017 that they would have won a few more flags along the way.

And one more prediction while I am at it. Tom Lynch's recruitment will be a disaster for them. He's one of the biggest sooks I have ever seen play the game and if he's sitting back on a million per year and providing soft efforts like that then his teammates are going to (rightfully) start asking questions about why a guy who has achieved nothing is bought in on a higher wage than the majority of a premiership squad...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If Naughton is getting double teamed, kick it to Bont.

What do I win?
    Maybe that's a reason to give Bonts a bit more time forward. If there's genuine threats along side him, Bonts, fit and in form Boyd & Schache then the spread is good. If the second man is coming off say Dunkley (or resting mid, not a huge threat and Dunkley should be in the guts where he was born to play) or Dickson (who has lost some pace) etc, then Naughton should expect a lot of attention. How exactly we try to work that to our advantage is going to be interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    On the other hand Richmond's performances were vastly overrated in 17/18 because they have barely had an injury and the year they won their flag they got 3 soft kills in a row set up for them on their homeground instead of the pressure of finals.

I can guarantee that you that if a few other clubs got the easy conditions that Richmond were presented with in 2017 that they would have won a few more flags along the way.

And one more prediction while I am at it. Tom Lynch's recruitment will be a disaster for them. He's one of the biggest sooks I have ever seen play the game and if he's sitting back on a million per year and providing soft efforts like that then his teammates are going to (rightfully) start asking questions about why a guy who has achieved nothing is bought in on a higher wage than the majority of a premiership squad...
    I give it 12 months and could see players going to other clubs if they miss the 8. Richmond has no depth , and it’s been severely exposed without : rance, cotchin, astbury and even grigg . If I was astbury I would be filthy , his more important .
    Just see where sydney is now and how many payers they have lost due to salary cap pressures from Franklin ( but his a star)

Castagna and Dan butler are 2 players I would not mind chasing . Very clean and quick small forwards

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo said we still are letting the ball out of the forward line too easily. I don't know whether another tall would fix that. If they were a good mark maybe yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton had 2 quiet weeks as a 19yr old KPF. It happens. Lynch just had a 5 possession no goal game as a 26yr old on a million bucks. It happens.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Naughton could actually be a Coleman medalist one day.

2. Crozier a super player. His defensive work is fantastic and then he sets up us going forward.

3. When we take our chances in front of goal we can kick a winning score. I did know this once upon a time but I forgot.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.