Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned R7 V Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    1. So did Bevo purchase a Delorian with a flux capacitor post match committee selection? We dominated every line.
    2. Those selection naysayers on WOOF.. (of whom I am one, despite not posting my anger-I'll own it) stuff that up your jumper! What a bloody masterstroke by that group. I reckon they really put in on them.. and I'm guessing it was not in a melt your face spray.. but an inspiring, 'we're behind you, we know what you can do, and we're not going to pull the trigger now. You can, nay, will pull yourselve's out of this. We won't deny you that chance. Show us, show the supporters.'
    3. Everyone is going to splorge over Naughton..but bloody hell Macrae just put on his big boy pants tonight. No, stuff that.. Libba did.. hang on, so did Dunks... hang on.. what about Baz? OK. Our midfield just refused to yield.... AND THAT WAS PIVOTAL TO LYNCH GETTING NOTHING.
    Sorry to burst your euphoria bubble but, didnÂ’t you notice who Richmond had missing?

That said, it was a great win in two ways.

1. It gives the supporters some hope and
    2. It shows the selection committee what leads to a win.

Kicking instead of handball works, as naysayers have been saying for years - 240 kicks opens up the game, allows teammates to run into position. Only the second time in 50 games.

Having a big body on a tall opposition forward works. Confirms it should have been done against Carlton as the naysayers said.

Naughton had a magnificent game but why does that follow 2 goalless games and 3 goals in 5 games? The naysayers have been giving the answer in these threads all year. It will be interesting to see if the selectors know which levers to pull to keep the goals flowing.

Enjoy the win and look forward to some more, but keep giving constructive advice. The club still needs naysayers.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bailey Smith is now feeling like he belongs. He's going to be sensational.

2. It's perhaps my interpretation but watching the post game interview with Dunks and his response to the "must be happy how you went with more time in the midfield" says to me he was irked like most of us with why he wasn't a mainstay. He must be. Hoping the coaches learned something. What I learned - engagement with your role is importantly linked to your performance on the football field.

3. Lachlan Young kicks the ball hard and fast and flat. I like that. His accuracy and decision making will improve, but he's got the ability to hurt sides with that leg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Sorry to burst your euphoria bubble but, didnÂ’t you notice who Richmond had missing?

Kicking instead of handball works, as naysayers have been saying for years - 240 kicks opens up the game, allows teammates to run into position. Only the second time in 50 games.

Having a big body on a tall opposition forward works. Confirms it should have been done against Carlton as the naysayers said.

Naughton had a magnificent game but why does that follow 2 goalless games and 3 goals in 5 games? The naysayers have been giving the answer in these threads all year. It will be interesting to see if the selectors know which levers to pull to keep the goals flowing.

Enjoy the win and look forward to some more, but keep giving constructive advice. The club still needs naysayers.
    As long as you're enjoying the win, I'm ok with that. We need a balance. Most expected us to lose by 10+ goals, as notwithstanding their outs, the Tigers are still one of the better sides getting around. We beat up on them with a great midfield effort and some impressive performances from 1-3 year players.

4. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree on Naughton . All young key forwards are going to have goalless games ,that’s a given . He’s going to have quiet periods that’s the lot of young players . Don’t mind the Nay sayers as we’re entitled as financial and emotionally invested members . Issue for me is the continual negativity and the fact posters go missing when there’s a positive result

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Disagree on Naughton . All young key forwards are going to have goalless games ,that’s a given . He’s going to have quiet periods that’s the lot of young players . Don’t mind the Nay sayers as we’re entitled as financial and emotionally invested members . Issue for me is the continual negativity and the fact posters go missing when there’s a positive result
    People go missing as perhaps they dont need the outlet after a win . Possibly less attractive are some folk who like to gloat and beat their chest after a win or take potshots at others after a win. Some folk are level. Some people just have differing time commitments altering their posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Putting this on the missing Richmond players is garbage.
    They were nmissing those guys for most of the year.
    Didn't worry them the last few weeks.
    The naysayers have not been giving the answer.. they've been giving their presumed answer. They are not the bloody Oracle!

8. Likes Bulldog4life, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A great point Remi

Post Thanks / Like

Because he’s 19. Too many don’t seem to understand that young players are going to have flat games, quiet patches. That’s simply due to age. You can’t possibly expect top flight performance week in, week out from a 19 year old. It is unfair on them, and unrealistic. He was terrific last night and fully deserves the accolades.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

11. Likes Bulldog4life, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name em - I don’t think many go missing.

I’m critical of our club and what we’ve done on and off the field for 3 years but I’ll still give credit when it’s due, such as last night. Funnily enough the things some ‘negative posters’ have been crying out for happened - ie Dunkley playing as a mid, moving the ball with more purpose and look at the results.

I find it irritating that we have posters on here who treat others with disdain because they question the hierarchy. There’s plenty of football knowledge on this forum which should be respected.

Let’s hope last night is a sign of things to come.

13. Likes hujsh, Max469, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Thr3 things I hope Bev learned:

1 - Dunkley is a midfielder. Not a fwd. Not a ruckman.

2 - Jackson Trengove is critical to the backline and to English and Dunkley as A- he either directly gives or allows a ruck a chop out for English; and B - He releases Cordy and Woodto play more natural roles and just be better.

3 - Naughton must stay predominantly fwd. Please dont shuffle him around. Rare talent.
    In the heart of every footballer there is a ruckman just waiting to be unleashed. There's one in English, one in Dunkley, one in Bont and yes, even one in Caleb Daniel. We are ruckman, we are legion.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    In the heart of every footballer there is a ruckman just waiting to be unleashed. There's one in English, one in Dunkley, one in Bont and yes, even one in Caleb Daniel. We are ruckman, we are legion.
    Chortle.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

1- Kelvin Templetons spirit lives on, Naughton will be a star.
    2- We can be accurate if we put our minds to it.
    3 - English will be the best ruckman in the competition in two years time.

18. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Haven't seen a tall like Naughton, plus English in the same team for a very long time, they are so enjoyable to watch.

2. Gowers either is fantastic or horrible to watch, nothing in between - I don't mind him.

3. Daniel, wow what a season he is having, has made a couple of costly errors but overall he is a little star.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Young is raw but shows promise. Makes mistakes but does some good things too. A thumping kick.
    2. Get Daniel signed up NOW Sam Power.
    3. Naughton you are a star and will be a super star.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Because heÂ’s 19. Too many donÂ’t seem to understand that young players are going to have flat games, quiet patches. ThatÂ’s simply due to age. You canÂ’t possibly expect top flight performance week in, week out from a 19 year old. It is unfair on them, and unrealistic. He was terrific last night and fully deserves the accolades.
    It was not simply due to age.

The opposition coaches paid him respect in the 2 games leading up to the Richmond game. They put the best tall defender on him, knowing he is a star and the only tall potential goal kicker. In the Carlton game Jones (with support) kept Naughton (who had to stand alone) to 2 marks.

Where were RichmondÂ’s best tall defenders. Never got closer than 100 metres because they were in the grandstand.

Once our coaches get over this win their priority must be doing what many forum contributors have pointed out - protect Naughton and give him the support on the ground that he deserves.