Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors, 2019, Rnd 7 vs Richmond

This is the round 7, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors, 2019, Rnd 7 vs Richmond

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B

Naughton - club record 9 contested marks, 14 marks, 5 goals. Did ok I suppose.
    Bonts - Vintage Bonts.
    Handball club - Thought it was 2016.
    Team Defence - Trengove on Lynch (goalless), Daniel rebounding, Crozier great etc.

A

Gowers. Dumbest footballer we have.
    That first quarter goal kicking.
    Hayes probably makes way for a more talented replacement.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    B

Naughton - club record 9 contested marks, 14 marks, 5 goals. Did ok I suppose.
    Bonts - Vintage Bonts.
    Handball club - Thought it was 2016.
    Team Defence - Trengove on Lynch (goalless), Daniel rebounding, Crozier great etc.

A

Gowers. Dumbest footballer we have.
    That first quarter goal kicking.
    Hayes probably makes way for a more talented replacement.
    Gowers infuriates me... BUT I still think he adds things to the side that keeps him getting selected.

Post Thanks / Like

Gowers is a decoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Gowers infuriates me... BUT I still think he adds things to the side that keeps him getting selected.
    Yep. He has kicked 10 goals this year. Looking at a 30 plus haul for the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Gowers did some very poor things. That effort on the wing/flank at the end was the epitome of that. However he did kick 2 goals, set up another and I noticed him on the replays of some of the other forwards marks do enough to keep other defenders from getting in the way.

Hayes I don't quite know what I'm meant to see and Young it feels like there's maybe something to work with but I don't think he's there at AFL level yet.

Aside from that though all of the defence was great, all the midfield was great and most of the forwards were great (Dickson was barely sighted)

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t understand the You g hate after tonight. He played well IMO. Is clearly someone who takes risks and wants to make the play.

I enjoyed watching him tonight.

11. Likes S Coast Simon, N/A, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Naughton. After 30 years of trying to find a KPF, we draft a backman and throw him forward after two pre-seasons as a defender. He proceeds to tie for the second greatest number ever of contested marks in a game.

Bont. Simply quality.

Daniel. Our entire back half gameplan of "give it to Caleb" worked a treat.

Anchors:
    Very hard this week.
    Lachie Young is fantastic in the air, really does need more experience to gain poise as he costs us a goal every week with turnovers. I think he makes it but it's not ideal he's playing so early.

Lachie Hunter's kicking penetration. So many of his kicks seemed to fall short this week.

Sam Lloyd - I really like your game but every week you have an attack of the fumbles at some stage.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. The marking by Naughton
    2. Caleb Daniel just a ball magnet in the backline, last 4 games 30 plus disposals, plus one earlier in the season.
    3. Bont's set shots at last he nailed them.

Anchors

1. The Richmond player who pinged Gowers on the ground and wouldn't let him go and the stupid umpire standing there watching and not doing a thing. It was disgraceful.
    2. The deliberate OOB on Wood - ruins the game.
    3. Turnovers continued, we need to be more skillful
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Banker #1 for me was the uncompromising effort by Lachie Young to leave his man and attack a 20/80 contest and clean up Rioli in the process. It was a real statement of intent early in the match and set the tone.

Banker #2 - Cordy's chase down on Balta to deny a certain goal before half time.

Then to finish up with Banker #3, Trengove buried Lynch into the turf in the last 5 minutes to deny him even a pissy junktime goal. I loved that unflinching attitude to put the foot on their throat and keep it there even when the game was done.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bankers

1. The marking by Naughton
    2. Caleb Daniel just a ball magnet in the backline, last 4 games 30 plus disposals, plus one earlier in the season.
    3. Bont's set shots at last he nailed them.

Anchors

1. The Richmond player who pinged Gowers on the ground and wouldn't let him go and the stupid umpire standing there watching and not doing a thing. It was disgraceful.
    2. The deliberate OOB on Wood - ruins the game.
    3. Turnovers continued, we need to be more skillful
    Nah Gowers was holding his arm. Playing silly buggers was Billy (I assume you're talking about the same incident as the reverse headbutt)

Post Thanks / Like

I see it as well. I think Young is a goer. Pretty sure he has earned his position in the practice matches. He is not a charity case he has genuinely earned his spot and is attacking it like it’s his last chance. I love the kid. He has a massive upside. Playing like he does in his third game in his first season off the rookie list. What’s not to love. Hope he keeps this trajectory upwards.

17. Likes azabob, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Dunkley's best game for a while, ditto McLean, Wood.
    2. Trengove was uncompromising
    3. Naughton was super impressive.

1. The Wood deliberate
    2. The high contact free to Houli
    3. Sam Lloyd's round the corne miss.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

B- Naughton , just incredible
    - Trengove , monstered the million dollar man
    - 13. 4 after half time
    A- Just one , Gowers has to stop trying to outbody and wrestle ! Just attack the footy
    Thought he kept Grimes out of going third up a few times