Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Player Weights

I browsed back a couple of pages of thread topics and couldn't find a thread for this even with all the press coverage of our increase in player weight. Anyway, I got my hands on the Afl Record for Season 2008 yesterday, and it seemed to have the updated player weights. Some players of interest were

Ray: 84kg (from 87kg in 2007? A decrease?!)
    Everitt: 87kg (increase from 78kg)
    Johnson: 87kg (added 2kg from last year, which i thought was interesting because you don't really see veterans fluctuate too much)
    West: 83kg (from 80kg, the same reason as above)
    Akermanis: 85kg (5kg increase)
    Hill: 79kg (6kg increase)
    McDougall: 103kg (11kg increase)
    Morris 92kg (6kg increase)
    Lynch: 68kg (no increase)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Player Weights

Quote Originally Posted by funked View Post
    I browsed back a couple of pages of thread topics and couldn't find a thread for this even with all the press coverage of our increase in player weight. Anyway, I got my hands on the Afl Record for Season 2008 yesterday, and it seemed to have the updated player weights. Some players of interest were

Ray: 84kg (from 87kg in 2007? A decrease?!)
    Ray's stated weight from last year always seemed a bit dicey.

These figures have always been rubbery at best.

Matthew Croft was originally listed as 185cm when he was drafted. They finally changed it to 191cm about 2 years before he retired.

Skipper was listed at 192cm when he was drafted, then 196cm for a couple of years, then 193cm. Last year I was at the club and as I walked through a doorway Skipper and Lake were coming the other way. Skipper was clearly taller than Lake, so I guess the 196cm was probably the right one.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame they cannot publish accurate results. I guess a lot would depend on when the players are weighted too.

When we did Vo2 testing at SASI for rowing, some members would lose upwards of 5kgs after their 2km ergo testing.

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with Farren at the East meets West day. He said he has put on weight, which varies between 2.5 & 4kgs.

Post Thanks / Like

Lynch might not gain much weight in his career

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Lynch might not gain much weight in his career
    Surely he'd be a chance to improve on his 68kg Hujsh, even if does not become a Stewy Dew lookalike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Surely he'd be a chance to improve on his 68kg Hujsh, even if does not become a Stewy Dew lookalike
    You'd hope so BR.

I don't think Lynch will ever need to be massive in size to have good strength, and if anything, too much size will probably start to erode one of his best assets, his agility. It will be interesting to see how his body develops over the next few years for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    You'd hope so BR.

I don't think Lynch will ever need to be massive in size to have good strength, and if anything, too much size will probably start to erode one of his best assets, his agility. It will be interesting to see how his body develops over the next few years for sure.
    It will be. He is an Aaron Davey type in style and shape. Davey didn't come into the AFL system til he was in his early 20's so it is hard to make a comparison, but at best Lynch is still a couple of years away from being able to play consistently in the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I'm just saying he mightn't get to say 80kgs.

Please don't question me about weight gain i only know the bad kind

But i see you're point and it is possible he is building a base or something for future development. I doubt he'll grow to be muscly but just like Mackie.