Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marvel Stadium match day experience

Do we actually need anything? The match day experience is actually....watching your team. Nothing can top the Bulldog chant getting up in a close last quarter, or the buzz when we chat at half time because a new player has got us excited. I don’t feel the need for noise for the sake of it. Did we want to bop along to Sweet Caroline at 3/4 time at the grand final, or was the drama of the game enough? I know some matches are dreary orang or lifeless, but they’re not improved by mindless racket. And if we EVER resort to the “make a noise” signal that Norf employ....
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes Max469, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought they'd backed off a little in the sensory assault. Haven't noticed an increase where I sit in L3.

As a Red Sox fan I get a giggle out of Sweet Caroline. Wish we kept Taking Over, we never let things carry on long enough to become a feature, or even just a thing. Footscray End, Teddys Towels etc etc.

We need the Hyde St Band, or a full blown Marching Band pre game instead of the PA top 40 music.

Being somewhat vision impaired, the flashing fences have reduced the quality of my experience immensely. I complained, but effectively got told bad luck, watch at home.

Post Thanks / Like

And look, I'm over 50 so I'd really like to hear what younger folk think. Especially if you've attended games in the past, maybe practice games, where the 'match day experience' is not so over the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I thought they'd backed off a little in the sensory assault. Haven't noticed an increase where I sit in L3.

As a Red Sox fan I get a giggle out of Sweet Caroline. Wish we kept Taking Over, we never let things carry on long enough to become a feature, or even just a thing. Footscray End, Teddys Towels etc etc.

We need the Hyde St Band, or a full blown Marching Band pre game instead of the PA top 40 music.

Being somewhat vision impaired, the flashing fences have reduced the quality of my experience immensely. I complained, but effectively got told bad luck, watch at home.
    Interesting.
    My son and i really liked 'Taking Over' just before the bounce. Sort of a soulful feel. Agree we don't seem to persist with anything.
    Would love to get the Hyde St Band back. Whenever i've asked opposition supporters about their memories of Whitten oval, they all remember the band. It was in our DNA.
    That's a pretty ordinary response re the fencing SOS.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate Taking over, but I guess it is all a matter of taste.

In fact, I like Sweet Caroline, even if it is copying REd Sox. I would really like to make it our own (in AFL)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved "taking over". It was a tacky song with shithouse lyrics and not something I would listen to ever in my free time but i really enjoyed it before the games especially compared to the generic pump up songs that get a run usually.

Hate everything else about the matchday "entertainment".

The neon signs around the boundary are atrocious, completely distract and detract from the viewing experience and when they are showing white it feels like some bloke is constantly shining a torch in your eyes. I can't imagine how bad they are for people older than me with worse eyesight.

Hate any kind of manufactured atmosphere, the bell I will tolerate but some of the stuff other clubs run with (especially North) is horrible. The "Make some noise" gimmick is horrific but especially when they have the pre recorded crowd sounds on it so it sounds even more ridiculous.

Oh and Sweet Caroline can go away as well. For starters Sydney already do it, so I can't see a reason that we have to pull out the same move that one of the other clubs are doing. I mean surely there are more than 18 suitable songs for this kind of thing in the world if you are determined to play it. Also I just hate "traditions" being thrust upon us for no reason. Plus I don't really love it as a song.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking Over was so bad that it was good and Suckling doing that little finger wag when the countdown hit one never failed to make me laugh. Bring it back.

Sweet Caroline is so bad that it's bad, and has absolutely no connection to anything. Never do it again.
    Last edited by Happy Days; 06-05-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about the oblivious cam the more I feel like we’re being conditioned to always pay attention to the screens in the ground. Let’s lose it.

13. Likes Grantysghost, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oblivious cam is horrendous..if I want to see someone eating a pie or reading the record I just have to look to my left. Conditioned is the correct word. Has any one else noticed at Marvelhaddomestadium now when your instinct is to look to the screen for a replay they chuck a full sized ad on. Metallica is coming for example..... It's pretty average stuff.

And Western Bulldogs taking over was great. Bevo knew the guys in the band Randy Moon Unit and they rewrote the lyrics to one of their songs. For those of us lucky enough to be there at the post GF function he even joined them on stage for a rendition. Not sure why it's gone..maybe cutting ties with everything 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

When Port first started doing that INXS song someone at the club asked me if we were going to do one which song we should do. i said "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones (could you imagine 20 000 people chanting "HEY HO, LET"S GO!") but never heard anything more about it. I dunno, if you aren't interested then why bother asking?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Do we actually need anything? The match day experience is actually....watching your team. Nothing can top the Bulldog chant getting up in a close last quarter, or the buzz when we chat at half time because a new player has got us excited. I don’t feel the need for noise for the sake of it. Did we want to bop along to Sweet Caroline at 3/4 time at the grand final, or was the drama of the game enough? I know some matches are dreary orang or lifeless, but they’re not improved by mindless racket. And if we EVER resort to the “make a noise” signal that Norf employ....
    My opinion too. If the actual game you have gone to watch isnt enough, if you need constant stimulation that the footy isn't providing then maybe you need a bit of help?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of the music and fence, I’m a pretty big fan of what marvel are doing w the stadium. When my 4 yo comes w me he loves the murals and the hulk buster statue.

Still cheers for both teams on the day but knows the words to our song

19. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Well said tbt. The only time i've ever enjoyed someone's voice over the pa was at the kennel when during a game he would say 'would the owner of vehicle jku602 please go to your vehicle...you've left your engine running'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Oblivious cam is horrendous..if I want to see someone eating a pie or reading the record I just have to look to my left. Conditioned is the correct word. Has any one else noticed at Marvelhaddomestadium now when your instinct is to look to the screen for a replay they chuck a full sized ad on. Metallica is coming for example..... It's pretty average stuff.

And Western Bulldogs taking over was great. Bevo knew the guys in the band Randy Moon Unit and they rewrote the lyrics to one of their songs. For those of us lucky enough to be there at the post GF function he even joined them on stage for a rendition. Not sure why it's gone..maybe cutting ties with everything 2016.
    Oblivious cam, kiss cam, dance cam, urrrrgggghhhhhh. They can ram the cam....

22. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When Port first started doing that INXS song someone at the club asked me if we were going to do one which song we should do. i said "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones (could you imagine 20 000 people chanting "HEY HO, LET"S GO!") but never heard anything more about it. I dunno, if you aren't interested then why bother asking?
    Careful td. If the suits took you up on Blitzkrieg Bop they would probably have the bulldog mascots dressed in leather jackets and beatles wigs.