Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  12
    Post Thanks / Like

English on the rise

Link

Emerging ruckman Tim English has been quietly going about his business in 2019.

But there’s no doubt he’s growing – on and off the field – as he continues to develop into being an important player for the Western Bulldogs.

After a self-described ‘ruck lesson’ from one of the competition’s best, Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy, in round four, English has been among the Dogs’ best over the past three weeks against Carlton, Fremantle and Richmond.

The 21-year-old has relished the opportunity he’s had this season.

“I look forward to the challenge, and I’m just trying to take little bits and pieces out of all those top ruckmen that I’m lucky to play against,” English told Triple M on Sunday after the win against Richmond.

“The toughest opponent this year – obviously I’ve played against a lot of top ruckmen of the comp – Ben McEvoy and Jon Ceglar was a hard partnership to come up against, and Brodie Grundy showed me how to do ruck work pretty much in that game against Collingwood.”

Learning on-field has been a big focus, as has been getting bigger and stronger to compete – which has seen him aim to pump in seven meals a day.

“I have a pretty strenuous gym program at the moment but I think the main focus for me is just getting enough food in,” English said.

“Obviously I need to improve the size of my frame, so it’s something that’s a work in progress.”

In his 16th AFL game, he arguably had the better of premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis, and is looking at how he can keep bringing his strengths to the table each week.

“Toby shows that he’s a really physical ruckman, and I knew he was going to bring that physicality,” English said.

“For me, I was trying to use my height, my length and being able to jump. I feel like I was able to do that a little bit through the centre bounce. Obviously he was able to get his hands on the ball and able to grab it out of the ruck a couple of times.

“Growing up in WA, you obviously look at Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui growing up. I think Dean Cox’s mobility is something that I’ve tried to emulate, that’s a hard thing to do because he was such a great player.

“That’s something I’d like to bring into my game, but there’s plenty of ruckmen out there (to learn from). If I can work on my tap work and strength as well, that keeps the mids happy which is the main thing.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Dancin' Douggy, Remi Moses, josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English on the rise

The Muffin is going to be one of the best ruckman in the comp in a couple more years I have no doubt. He obviously is smart enough to know what his weaknesses are and he is not shying away from that. He sounds like a dedicated young man so he'll leave no stone unturned to see if he can be the best he can be. He has ball handling skills of a midfielder. Exciting times ahead for the muffin man.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

4. Likes Testekill, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some players the jumper looks better on and he's one of them.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if many have stood near him but he is very big and strong in the legs, it’s his shoulders that need to be built up, he will be a very good player, his work around the ground and below his knees gets better every week as his confidence grows .
    I’ve also noticed his positioning around the ground to receive the ball has improved immensely.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pair him up in the gym with Dale Morris and he’ll be set!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we have a young promising ruckman/ follower that will turn out to be a star. KB on his radio show said English will be the best ruckman in the League in 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think we have a young promising ruckman/ follower that will turn out to be a star. KB on his radio show said English will be the best ruckman in the League in 3 years.
    English is very gifted with good skills. Still needs a lot of work on his ruck technique but in English and Naughton we have scooped two great talented young players from the West.

Post Thanks / Like

But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Deleted. What was it?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Deleted. What was it?
    A comparison of English v Grundy during on the couch. Tim pretty pretty much breaking even across the board with the exception of total hit outs. Even hit outs to advantage are close. Marks around the ground, scoring involvement, contested possessions, clearances all comparable.

I mean I'm not getting carried away and I know you can highlight positive stats but this kid is going to be a star sooner rather than later. His latest contract means we'll also get a good look at it too.

16. Likes Mofra, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    A comparison of English v Grundy during on the couch. Tim pretty pretty much breaking even across the board with the exception of total hit outs. Even hit outs to advantage are close. Marks around the ground, scoring involvement, contested possessions, clearances all comparable.

I mean I'm not getting carried away and I know you can highlight positive stats but this kid is going to be a star sooner rather than later. His latest contract means we'll also get a good look at it too.
    You mean this one I posted in Game day thread.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You mean this one I posted in Game day thread.

Thanks BAD missed it.

Post Thanks / Like

He has had his challenges in the ruck Tim but there have been a number of games now that I have been impressed. Will be a quality ruck in coming years.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

English the guest on Freedom in a Cage this week. Listen here if you haven't subscribed to the weekly podcast.