Young Western Bulldogs forward Josh Schache must improve his competitive instincts if he is to make it at AFL level, according to Terry Wallace.

Schache, 21, booted four goals in the comeback win over Hawthorn in Round 2, but found himself out of the side after two quiet performances against Gold Coast and Collingwood.

“There’s one thing preventing him (Schache) from making it in my opinion,” Wallace told The Match Committee.

“I don’t think he is a natural beast competitor.

“I’ll go Jack Watts in that similar sort of vein, where everything is neat but when it gets really hard, where you’ve got to push back, where you’ve got to beeline the ball … I don’t think he does that part of his game well.”

Former Bulldogs coach Wallace also highlighted a positive aspect of the former No.2 draft pick’s game.

“The positive is with ball in hand you know what you’re going to get,” he added.

“If it’s outside 50 you’re going to get a beautiful delivery inside 50, if it’s inside 50 his going to nail the goal opportunity for you.”

Schache has booted 47 goals in 44 games for both the Dogs and Brisbane since debuting in 2016.