Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned. Round 8-Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane Lions Mars Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I would prefer he didn't average over 27 disposals because then it hopefully means someone who uses it with more care has had plenty of it.

The last 2 weeks, Hunter hasn't been our leading possession winner and we've played more free flowing, attractive football. I don't think it's a coincidence.
    It's a bit like when later in his career Daniel Cross used to get so much of the football but because of his unwillingness to kick forward quickly if he couldn't get an immediate handball to a running team mate we'd stagnate, eventually going sideways. Sure his effective disposal percentage was always right up there, but it's the disposals he didn't take that concerned me.

Hunter is so one sided that too much football in his hands in transition can actually stifle us sometimes. I much prefer him getting the football with a clear path in front of him rather than him finding the football with his back towards goal, because the latter situation limits us unless he has plenty of running support and is disciplined enough to give it off by hand.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned. Round 8-Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane Lions Mars Stadium

A few on here would omit Lachie Hunter, ffs !

3. Likes Doggy, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Is anyone really that ignorant of his clear positive attributes, or are you being a bit dramatic or sensitive about some pointing out and being frustrated by his negative ones?

He's an excellent player but he does my bloody head in because he could be more reliable and damaging with some discipline and attention to detail in his game. I honestly don't think he gets the best out of himself sometimes and it's between the ears when he doesn't, meaning he can actually be better just by concentrating for longer more often.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Being dropped did Macrae's career the world of good. Stringer was dropped the week before the 2016 finals and it provided the kick up the arse he needed at that moment in time.

Dropping a player isn't always a bad thing, so long as it's explained why he's been dropped and what he has to work on. I'm not on the drop Hunter bandwagon but if dropping him makes him a better player then I'm all for it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

No one has suggested dropping Hunter.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is anyone really that ignorant of his clear positive attributes, or are you being a bit dramatic or sensitive about some pointing out and being frustrated by his negative ones?

He's an excellent player but he does my bloody head in because he could be more reliable and damaging with some discipline and attention to detail in his game. I honestly don't think he gets the best out of himself sometimes and it's between the ears when he doesn't, meaning he can actually be better just by concentrating for longer more often.
    I thought Hunter was our best player in the first half. He hit targets which was a change from a couple of weeks ago.

Was he playing through injury? So many of his kicks dropped short which can be a sign.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I thought Hunter was our best player in the first half. He hit targets which was a change from a couple of weeks ago.

Was he playing through injury? So many of his kicks dropped short which can be a sign.
    Hunter frustrates me from time to time but yesterday wasn't one of those days.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hunter frustrates me from time to time but yesterday wasn't one of those days.
    Yes you have to judge a player from game to game. Not what he has done previously or not because of one particular instance. This is for any player. Yesterday Lachie had a very good game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He's good, but he butchers the ball too often trying to do things his ability doesn't allow for. His ridiculous worm burner yesterday that led to a Brisbane goal is a perfect example.
    The positive out of that was that Toby McLean really got stuck into Hunter for that error. I love it when the players "hurt" as much as we do. They're invested and that's good.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trengrove could reasonably claim he should have been brought in earlier. That hardness will be a great asset in Geelong.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Trengrove could reasonably claim he should have been brought in earlier. That hardness will be a great asset in Geelong.
    The Brisbane bench was not happy with Trengrove's ruck work. I could hear them complaining he wrestles too much in the ruck.
    Last edited by bornadog; 13-05-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Brisbane becn was not happy with Trengrove's ruck work. I could hear them complaining he wrestles too much in the ruck.
    He does.. he makes body contact very early in ruck contests as he doesn't have much of a leap.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Naughton can will his way into a game. His second half was brilliant. Right up until the half time siren he had 2 disposals. To finish the day with 3 goals and 16 disposals was testament to his resilience and perseverance. A gun for sure.

2. La. Young can play. I'm always amazed when a young player gets drafted, (doesn't matter whether they're the number 1 pick or a rookie) and forces their way into the senior line up in their first year, and then holds their spot. He has great closing speed and never seems to panic. Always seems to get there in time for a spoil or tackle or smother and uses the ball well when he gets it. We have half back flankers coming out of our &%$#holes, the fact that he's holding that spot down is pretty impressive.

3. Wet weather football actually works pretty well in wet weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He does.. he makes body contact very early in ruck contests as he doesn't have much of a leap.
    His leap is actually OK its just that he so undersized that he needs to use his head.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I said I'd like to try someone like Lipinski in his role as he's a better kick - that may have sounded like I'd drop him....I wouldn't.

And to be fair to Lachie, he's been better the past 2 games - stuck an important tackle in the 3rd quarter against Richmond that led to a goal and his pass to Naughton to end the 2nd quarter on Saturday was very important to cap off some momentum.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs