Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 8, 2019 vs Brisbane

This is the round 8, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Brisbane is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 8, 2019 vs Brisbane

Banker 1. Cordy slaying three lions on his way out of defence. Hurts people while being tackled by two.
    2. The fisting of fletch. Also like Trenners game in ruck.
    3. Naughton is the prophecised one.

Anchor 1. Our team seemingly unaware it was wet for a qtr and a half.
    2. Playing in Ballarat isn’t ideal but we got a win
    3. Desire was lacking early. Why?

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B.
    Our application after 20 minute mark of the 2nd Qtr.
    Naught's 3rd Qtr
    JJ's run and dash, with good disposal too.

A
    Hunter's ineffective kicking.
    McLean burning a wide open Wallis. Selfish
    The umps missing the holding on Richards on a number of occasions.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Ed Richards two first quarter goals.
    2. Cordy's crunch on the Lions player that left him flat on his back
    3. Daniel setting up Naughton's last goal. He was too far out but pretended to go for the goal, only to make sure Naughty had a god run at it.

Anchors

1. AFL for changing the rules on runners - appalling ( see my explanation in Ballarat thread)
    2. Hayes fumble in the third that cost a goal. Fumbled around when he had time to pick up the ball, then when he is tackled does a silly over the head handball straight to them.
    3. The ruck is turning out to be a big wrestling match, when I am sure there are rules
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Naughton will not be contained. Outworked Andrews in the second half, he's now learnt how to double-lead.
    2. Cordy's aggression. He's our most important defender.
    3. Lloyd. Fantastic cheap pick-up, plays half forward like a natural forward which we lack.

Anchors

1. Why did it take until last round for Dunkley to move more permanently into the midfield? I'm adamant it's where he belongs.
    2. Playing dry weather football early when the ground was wet.
    3. Wisdom teeth. Not football related, but why do we have them?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Macrae. Often goes unheralded. His work rate is why he gets so much ball. Such a good player and team mate and leads by example. Nice goal too.

2. Turning things around in the 2nd when Brisbane had control. As others have mentioned already we switched into wet weather mode eventually.

3. I wasn't at the game so I'm not 100% who played on Charlie Cameron but I think it was Crozier, whoever it was is definitely banker worthy. Cameron is the sort of player who always tears us a new one (e.g. Betts, Walters, Matera) and he had8 touches and no goals.

Anchors

1. Hayes. Bit harsh, he's only played a few games but I am struggling to see how he is ahead of Lipinski. He has cost a goal or 2 every week through basic skill errors. He did however pay us back with a nice goal.

2. Gowers. Same ole same old

3. Gettable set shot misses.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

B- Naughton being able to turn a shocker into a good game . Massive in his development.
    - Getting on top around the ball after half time
    - Cordy’s season is underrated
    A- Slipping over , we slipped way to often
    - Bar the last 10 min in the second , we have to start better
    - The handball club doesn’t work in wet weather

Post Thanks / Like

B. The fans who rocked up in the cold in the colours.
    B. Ed with that big copper mop. What an astounding goal from the boundary. Definitely shaping up for J. Gillard's rednut team of the century. He's a damaging player.
    B. Trengrove and Fletch. Great to see these guys making the most of their opportunities.

A. Those in our own tribe who underrate us and are a bit quick to get the doom and gloom out. Ladder positioning can be deceptive.
    A. Me for not attending enough Bulldog games, being abroad and I feel bad about it. Going to have to make up for this in the break.

Potential Anchor. Gowers needs to chill and think a bit. Not quite anchor territory yet.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 12-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Likes azabob, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bankers

1. Naughton will not be contained. Outworked Andrews in the second half, he's now learnt how to double-lead.
    2. Cordy's aggression. He's our most important defender.
    3. Lloyd. Fantastic cheap pick-up, plays half forward like a natural forward which we lack.

Anchors

1. Why did it take until last round for Dunkley to move more permanently into the midfield? I'm adamant it's where he belongs.
    2. Playing dry weather football early when the ground was wet.
    Well said Mofra. I especially love the way Lloyd thought his way into the forward line in the highlight I saw. Really using some clever evasion tactics to allow time for players to get forward.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

15. Likes ratsmac, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Cordy, low stats aka Morris but does the one percenters.
    Trengove, great job all day in the ruck against a quality opponent.
    Crozier, no fuss, reliable and effective, one of our best recruits of late.

Anchors
    Gowers and Hayes, time for a stint in the VFL.
    McLean, way down on last year's form.
    Ballarat, the point is likely financial but a 9k crowd and freezing temps for most of our games there, better at Whitten oval I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well said Mofra. I especially love the way Lloyd thought his way into the forward line in the highlight I saw. Really using some clever evasion tactics to allow time for players to get forward.
    Yeah good call. Lloyd is definitely a banker. His forward nouse is just what we need. He is our Dickson replacement. Poor Dicko.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Extra anchor is the holding the ball not being called.
    Happening way too often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Apparently we won't soon as it appears more and more people don't have wisdom teeth. something about less wear on the teeth as we eat softer foods.

edit: i have no idea where i got this from, vaguely remember hearing/reading it last cpl days. it's more than possible it was just the voices in my head though
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

20. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. Caleb Daniels 'spoil of the century' Can't believe it didn't make it onto the highlights package on the AFL website. It was truly astounding and glorious.

2. Being driven to and from the game with BOB MURPHY!!! (my mate won the prize on the website) Lovely bloke.

3. North Ballarat Oval. I know it's not ideal but I really enjoyed the '70's style aesthetics of watching the game there. The huge trees, the crowd banked up behind the play, The cameraman on his lonely, freezing temporary platform. I had front row seats so could hear the players yelling to each other and the thwack of body contact. When Caleb Daniel went up for his spoil there was a sea of people as a backdrop rather than empty seats. Great to have a break from the moving signage round the ground too.

Anchors.
    Hate to single players out........... but.

1. Sorry Billy Gowers, but I can't see you holding your place in the team much longer with performances like that. He seems to have no composure, no inner calm or forethought. He's so jittery and all over the place. He actually looks crazy. Becoming a liability.

2. Will Hayes. I don't want to write him off yet, but I don't really see what he offers? And I can't see how he has pushed guys like Bailey Williams, Brad Lynch and Lipinski out of the senior line up. They all seem to offer more to me.

3. Can't think one, pretty happy overall.

22. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Ballarat, the point is likely financial but a 9k crowd and freezing temps for most of our games there, better at Whitten oval I would think.
    We are trying to build the brand and increase membership and be more than just Footscray and represent Western Victoria. It will take awhile to do this,but with Ballarat's population over 100k, plus the outer areas of Victoria, there is a good opportunity.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

24. Likes hujsh liked this post