Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  95
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Indigenous jumper

It's on Facebook but not on the website yet so can't post it but even if you don't like it, be secure in the fact that we have a great normal jumper so a one off variation can only be a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nww Indigenous jumper

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    It's on Facebook but not on the website yet so can't post it but even if you don't like it, be secure in the fact that we have a great normal jumper so a one off variation can only be a bonus.
    I think even the purists can accept the variation for the Indigenous round at least.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the design it's great but the yellow colouring up top doesn't go. It's a jumper of two halves. Pity we don't have an indigenous boy to showcase it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind it. I'd like it more if we had an indigenous star or even well known player to model it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Indigenous guernsey: The Brett Goodes story

The personal story of Brett Goodes, told through themes of family, culture and club, inspired the design of the Western Bulldogs’ 2019 Indigenous guernsey.

The Bulldogs will wear the specially designed guernsey for their Round 10 Sir Doug Nicholls Round game against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Saturday, May 25.

Goodes was presented with the opportunity to have his story depicted on the guernsey, with the design created by renowned Indigenous artist Nathan Patterson.

Goodes has enjoyed a long association with the Western Bulldogs through a number of roles – as a player welfare manager, a 22-game AFL player and as the Club’s Ballarat Engagement Manager.

More recently, he has led the Club’s Indigenous programs, including the launch and ongoing execution of the Bulldogs’ Reconciliation Action Plan.

“With my role at the Club, and the Club going down the path of reconciliation with an Action Plan and me taking this new role, I thought it was a great opportunity to tell my story through the guernsey, but to also tell the story of what we’re doing as a Club,” Goodes said.

“It’s quite humbling to have this jumper designed and to work closely with the artist Nathan Patterson, who’s a wonderful artist based here in Victoria.

“To know a lot of the boys who will go out and wear it and play in it, I’ve got a lot of connections with those players, so I’m sure they’ll represent it and be as proud of it as I am.”

Along with committing to a Reconciliation Action Plan, the Bulldogs have long been a supporter of the Indigenous community.

One of its flagship community programs, the Nallei-Jerring Koori Youth Leadership Project, aims to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander young people by encouraging leadership within the local Aboriginal community.

The Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy aims to identify the best young Indigenous playing talent in the Club’s zone, through inner western Melbourne and regional western Victoria.

A portion of the proceeds made from the sale of the guernsey will go towards its Indigenous programs.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: BRETT GOODES TELLS THE STORY BEHIND THE 2019 BULLDOGS INDIGENOUS GUERNSEY DESIGN

Family

The most important element, and the centrepiece of the design, represents my love for family; sitting at a campfire with my brothers Jake and Adam, and my mother Lisa.

Culture

I am of Adnyamathanha & Narugga descent (South Australia). Adnyamathanha, also known as the ‘Rock People’ of the Flinders Ranges, is represented in the artwork with the sun rising on Akurra (giant water snake) moving and shaping the Ranges around him.

Narungga people are also known as the ‘Butterfish Mob’ of the Yorke Peninsula (represented bottom left).

Club

At the bottom of the design there are three footballs and three circles, representing my connection to the Club; my first role as player welfare manager, my current role working in Indigenous programs and my time as a player spanning over eight years.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we bring back Thor?

13. Likes Doggy, ledge, Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like this! I opened the link with trepidation, but the linking of the sun to mission and the aboriginal flag is cool.

Pleasantly surprised. I think we are well established enough, that for a special event we can permit a little accent colour. The yellow might be a little less proportionally. Also like that the fish and other animals are a little cartoonish. Not all indigenous themes have to be dark and overbearing / edgy. Well done.

And at the end of the day, we ain't coming close to the horror-fashion-wreck that Hawthorn have dished up with event strips in the last ten years.
    '
    And while I am typing Brett Goodes playing career is well remembered, by how he got to us, and what he used to bring to the field. Was a fantastic chunky defender, at a time when we were easily roughed up.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

When you listen to Brett explain the jumper it almost comes to life.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Indigenous jumper

I am right behind club initiatives like the Reconciliation Action Plan, and the work Goodes is doing, and the story of the jumper. That said, aesthetically, and this is completely subjective - it's horrible. I've seen last year's being worn plenty, so my opinion is largely irrelevant though.

I'm just here to boost my post count.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

19. Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this design
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Patterson (the artist), does like bold colours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I like this design
    I also like this design.

I really like the Indigenous jumpers and think they're just about the only AFL initiative that's felt organic and good out of everything they've tried in the last 125 years.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -