Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs vs North - NAB Cup (Rd1)

Looks like the weather is going to play a big part in this game.

Do we have enough players willing to play the type of wet weather football that they will be confronted by?

Guys that should excel in the conditions are West, Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Harbrow, Callan, Addison, Morris, Hahn and Wight but will we have enough of them to combat a fairly strong bodied North side?
    Also will the wet weather curb some of Norths key tall forwards?

I think the conditions will probably favour North but if we are switched on we should be able to win it.

Thoughts?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs vs North - NAB Cup (Rd1)

It's really going to be a slog fest in some ways, nothing scientific, just move the ball forward inch by inch.

The player who will WILL excel in these sorts of conditions is Aker, remember the 2 goals against Geelong in the wet when playing for Brisbane?

Hudson becomes important, particularly if he can gain some clearences.

Both sides will want to keep it tight in the midfield & hope for a quick break into an open forward line.

Maybe first goal wins?

Post Thanks / Like

Should be a ripper of a game, as I think both sides will come prepared to try a few new things. It'll be interesting to see how advanced North are in their preparations.

If it does rain a lot you'd think that would help the North side, as they do have bigger bodies over the ground still, and it will be a good test of our improvement in that area. Our skills could also drop away a bit, which will work against us as it is one of our best assets.

I'll be looking at Aker to make a good impression in the rain, and hopefully a few of the young Aboriginal lads can impress in these conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Guys that should excel in the conditions are West, Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Harbrow, Callan, Addison, Morris, Hahn and Wight but will we have enough of them to combat a fairly strong bodied North side?
    Its very much a collection of those guys that we need to match Norths collective grunt. Just listing those type of names fills me with confidence that we can start playing with the required physical intensity.

MacIntosh destroyed us in round 22 - Wells and Sansbury did a fair bit of damage also.

Obviously getting Hudson into the ruck mix should see its performance improve and we should have an improved depth of running power with fitter Cross, Murphy and Hahn.

Will Crossy go head to head with Daniel Harris? Those extractor type players will be very valuable under these conditions.

I expect us to win in a tough encounter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Will Crossy go head to head with Daniel Harris? Those extractor type players will be very valuable under these conditions.
    Great call. Something I'd like to see more of this year is Crossy really doing his best to not only win his own ball, but prevent his opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the weather is going to play a big part in this game.

Do we have enough players willing to play the type of wet weather football that they will be confronted by?

Also will the wet weather curb some of Norths key tall forwards?

I think the conditions will probably favour North but if we are switched on we should be able to win it.

Thoughts?
    200cm and skinny legs? Perfect shape for wet weather footy? He has had a good pre season but this is a stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    If it does rain a lot you'd think that would help the North side, as they do have bigger bodies over the ground still, and it will be a good test of our improvement in that area. Our skills could also drop away a bit, which will work against us as it is one of our best assets.
    I was just thinking the exact same thing yesterday. If we can beat a team as strong as North in wet conditions no less then we may have gained weight and toughened up this year for real.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    200cm and skinny legs? Perfect shape for wet weather footy? He has had a good pre season but this is a stretch.
    I don't think you have seen him play in the wet then. People can question his skills and decision making because they are valid question marks about his game but he is prepared to put his head over the footy in muddy conditions. I saw him do that on a few occassions at Werribee.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you have seen him play in the wet then. People can question his skills and decision making because they are valid question marks about his game but he is prepared to put his head over the footy in muddy conditions. I saw him do that on a few occassions at Werribee.
    Havent seen him play in wet, still think its a stetch. Hopefully im pleasantly suprised

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good test for the players, particularly those aside from West, Cross, Boyd & Johnson as we know they excel in any conditions. We've been labelled soft among a hundred other things, this is a good opportunity to start with a clean slate against a side that is a very, very good wet weather team.

Wight is actually pretty good in the wet for a big man. Agree with Gary, seen him play quite a few times and he generally he does pretty well.

Hopefully a Harbrow/Addison/Callan type shows something too.

fish Guest

It's interesting to hear Wight mentioned due to his wet weather skills. Perhaps somewhat obviously, early season sounds like it's going to be important for him. There seems to have been a fair bit of pre-season focus on Wight and Minson in the forward line - if one of these moves can work it would be a huge plus. However it seems a bit unlikely that both will work well, or whether that combination would be risked when the 4pt matches start.

With no Minson for this game, does that mean Wight will mainly spend time up forward? Even if conditions aren't ideal he needs to be getting into the right places, and showing that he can be used there in match situations.

Has been interesting reading the training reports and comments, living in the UK, means a distinct lack of watching options! I guess my overall query is how much the pre-season setup as to who plays where will really mimic the main comp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    It's interesting to hear Wight mentioned due to his wet weather skills. Perhaps somewhat obviously, early season sounds like it's going to be important for him. There seems to have been a fair bit of pre-season focus on Wight and Minson in the forward line - if one of these moves can work it would be a huge plus. However it seems a bit unlikely that both will work well, or whether that combination would be risked when the 4pt matches start.
    I'm not sure that he has true wet weather skills but he does have that ethic that puts his head over the footy which should suit the conditions.

I'm very much looking forward to this game and the game next week as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure that he has true wet weather skills but he does have that ethic that puts his head over the footy which should suit the conditions.

I'm very much looking forward to this game and the game next week as well.
    I'm excited about what we will dish up tonight, we've heard talk about the disappointment 2007 left on the players, so it will be good to see us start to respond in 2008.

I am excited about the prospects of harbrow, hill, stack, addison, everitt and higgins AND fascinated to see where they line up tonight

Post Thanks / Like

First Goal, Harbrow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post

With no Minson for this game, does that mean Wight will mainly spend time up forward? Even if conditions aren't ideal he needs to be getting into the right places, and showing that he can be used there in match situations.

Has been interesting reading the training reports and comments, living in the UK, means a distinct lack of watching options! I guess my overall query is how much the pre-season setup as to who plays where will really mimic the main comp.
    welcome to WOOF Fishmeister. I certainly agree with your comments about Wight getting to the right spots. I doubt he (or Wayne Carey in his prime) would take 15 marks in the conditions we assume will be in Darwin tonight but it would be great to see him getting to the right spots at the right time.
    Last edited by Templeton31; 15-02-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: I thought of something else ;)