Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Could it be possible to get him removed from his AFL gig ? After all the AFL wouldn't want any suggestion of "bullying" from one of their cohorts.
    They have enabled him for this long, no chance they'll get rid of him now.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I have to be 100% honest, not sure Bevo was in the right frame of mind to give the presser. I liked the spirit of what he said but not the way it was delivered. Am I being too tough?
    1. Depression is not the only reason Tom has to leave us. We are not sure about that. Maybe his back is the real reason at this point.
    2. What are we trying to teach ourselves? Footy is a passionate game. Get that. But I don't give much to what Barret says as others have said on other threads, just forget the guy. Robbo is the same. Have not read or discussed much from him in years. Simply doesn't have much to say. We need to teach ourselves to be totally oblivious to Damien. I think Bevo has made people more aware of it.
    It's painful to watch people suffer, and annoying to have the peanut gallery add insult to that, but we are better than him. Now we just stoked the coals again. There will always be Damien Barret's. But, at least we know that Bevo has a heart. Can't see Ross Lyon giving a speech like that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

3. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    The players mentioned above are all gone now, so it doesn't really matter anymore
    I remember hearing Libba was involved as well as Dahlhaus & Stringer, which may be part of why we were slow to sign him for just a 1 year deal
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do hope Tom gets to read all of these, some beautiful sentiments. I'm a little late to the party but...

Thank you Tom, from the bottom of our collective Bulldog hearts. Your 2016 piggyback will always be an iconic image in the minds of the Red, White and Blue.

The AFL is a poorer place for someone of your calibre walking away, but well done for recognising that it is the best path for you. All the best in your future endeavours, go well BullGod.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

7. Likes ReLoad, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    2. What are we trying to teach ourselves? Footy is a passionate game. Get that. But I don't give much to what Barret says as others have said on other threads, just forget the guy. Robbo is the same. Have not read or discussed much from him in years. Simply doesn't have much to say. We need to teach ourselves to be totally oblivious to Damien. I think Bevo has made people more aware of it.
    I understand where you're coming from - don't give the trolls oxygen argument, which I think is totally valid.

But at the same time, I think it can be important to call out when someone is such a despicable human rather than let them throw vitriol out there with no consequences.

I don't know what the right answer is though.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

9. Likes Ghost Dog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I tweeted it and BigFootyBulldogs retweeted it and followed me. Is working.
    Is going huge. Just checked the #blacksoulbarrett hashtag and tweets and it's now a 'thing'. People clearly want to make a point to the black soul, call out his hypocrisy and call out his employers. It's nice to know there's a lot of people out there backing up Bevo & Tom.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    I understand where you're coming from - don't give the trolls oxygen argument, which I think is totally valid.

But at the same time, I think it can be important to call out when someone is such a despicable human rather than let them throw vitriol out there with no consequences.

I don't know what the right answer is though.
    See your points DOTW. Agree. But it's a pity Luke is the one that has to do it.

Blame the AFL. If they want very young men to succeed in this sport, then they need their sanctioned journalists to be a bit circumspect in the media when it comes to placing emphasis on their contract. And lift the bar on the standards. They may not be able to control the HUN journos or others. But repeated, snide, sideswipes about player's contract value under an AFL banner is hypocrisy.

It's complete hypocrisy also regards mental health. Afl says, Let's all be open about 'the black dog' and laud people like Buddy and Tom when they discuss and open up. But on the other hand AFL says let's sanction our journalists to go after them regards their contract worth not once ( ok, fine ) but continually. The AFL should have stepped in long ago to control GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub and ask him not to continually go that line, again and again. They may not be able to control the HUN journos but get your house in order. Get decent journalists.

If Luke Hodge didn't teach DB something ( knob comments ), he cannot be taught. Remove him.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

12. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Browne reporting we are into Tomlinson with the spare cash. Would suit our needs.

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really sad to see Boyd retire so early. I was hoping to one day see a Naughton / Boyd / Sache forward line.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd could return to football at his junior club Norwood

Recently retired Western Bulldogs forward Tom Boyd could make a football return with his junior club Norwood this year.

The 2016 premiership player walked away from the AFL last month citing the mental and physical toll the game had taken on him.

Norwood president Mark Etherington confirmed it had spoken to Boyd, 23, about getting back involved at the club.

“We’ve had communication with Tom regarding his re-engagement with us … as he embarks on the next chapter post-AFL,” Etherington said.

If Boyd played for Norwood he would return to the Eastern Football League club as a one-point player.

However, the June 30 clearance deadline is fast-approaching and any decision on playing local football this year would need to be made by the end of the month.

He is a keen follower of the Premier Division outfit and his family is involved with the Ringwood-based club.

Boyd’s potential addition would be a fillip for the Norsemen’s attack in tandem with star forward Leigh Williams and would boost their chances of making a return to finals.

Etherington said it was important that the club “openly communicate our invitation to him”.

“We see the ongoing benefits for Tom with any potential involvement at Norwood to be an additional support, resource to that which exists at the Western Bulldogs.

“It was more, here’s an opportunity, whether it is now, next month, next year or anytime into the future, we have always been there readily available to support past and present players.

“We’ve always prided ourselves on being a strong family club and we always want to make sure we’re there to encourage all members to continue their involvement with us.

“If that means he comes down and helps out with some training with some of our rucks, or whether it is some tuition work one-on-one, or whether it ends up being that he plays one day, whatever it ends up being, Norwood Football Club is his home junior club and naturally we would be thrilled if he was to elect obviously considering doing that.”

Boyd was taken as the No.1 pick in the 2013 draft by GWS before being traded to the Western Bulldogs, where he was a key member of the side that ended the club’s 62-year premiership drought three seasons ago.

When he announced his retirement he said he no longer had “the desire to play or the enjoyment of the game I used to have” at the elite level.

Norwood sits sixth with a 4-4 record and has not played finals since the 2015 decider.

18. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do whatever makes you happier Tom. If you just want to play for the love of the game, it sounds good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

His dad is involved at the club too so this would be good for him. Although local footy can be brutal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    His dad is involved at the club too so this would be good for him. Although local footy can be brutal.
    Yep. You can hear every word on field and just about every word in the crowd. Then there's blokes you just want to KO ex league players. I thought he was going to travel and get out of the country and media BS for the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yeah - not sure it would be a wise move for him.