Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Tom kicked 4 goals in his first game for St Kevin's on the Weekend. Never say never....

Post Thanks / Like

Just to offer a counter opinion i wouldn't want him back.

Aside from a few good/very good games didn't think he was very good. As a key forward he was poor, and as a ruck he was fine, just like Mason Cox or Jordan Roughead or Jon Ceglar is fine.

A bit like Dahlhaus leaving while it was sad to part ways and I did rate him in some areas I also don't miss him and in some ways I am relieved we don't have him anymore.

This is in no way meant to diminish his contribution to 2016.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's irrational but there's something in the back of my mind/ thinking that believes Tom isn't lost to Australian Rules Football. He's 25 now, has his life ahead of him and as much as leaving the game when he did was right at the time for some reason it didn't feel final to me.

Most likely I'm wrong, but there's just something there (and maybe it's just me).
    I recently talked to a lady who knows Tom very well and she believes there is a zero percent chance he will play footy at the AFL level again. She was fascinating to talk to and knew about all the struggles he faced.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks 1eyedog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd is a Bulldog Immortal. I hope to meet him one day and thank him personally for his efforts. I waited from 1956 to see us win the Premiership. That's a long time. There are many things we want in life and a lot of them are within our control. But winning a flag is something that only others could do for me. It was their gift to me and I indebted to them. That's how much that month and that Flag meant to me.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Ahhh the pangs of unfulfilled promise ... not withstanding being BOG in a flag winning side of course.
    The more I've thought about it the less and less it makes sense that JJ got the nod.

I would have had four players before him.

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Just to offer a counter opinion i wouldn't want him back.

Aside from a few good/very good games didn't think he was very good. As a key forward he was poor, and as a ruck he was fine, just like Mason Cox or Jordan Roughead or Jon Ceglar is fine.

A bit like Dahlhaus leaving while it was sad to part ways and I did rate him in some areas I also don't miss him and in some ways I am relieved we don't have him anymore.

This is in no way meant to diminish his contribution to 2016.
    I get what you mean - I just wonder how much Tom's unreliable body and fragile mental state limited him from reaching his potential.

For mine he was phenomenal in the prelim and GF and it was a window into his potential, not an outlier of his true ability.

We'll never know of course, but I hope he doesn't come back. He went out the way he chose to and I don't think enough is made of that.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 17-04-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

For our club and its resources and facilities, I believe we got the best out of Tom. He rucked against bigger and stronger men for someone his age at 21 in 2016, and he got battered every week. He was a forward who we tried to turn into a ruckman.

How many big man have a long AFL career in the modern game ? Its few and far between. The churn of ruckmen and key forwards is quite large. Even Nic Nat is in the eagles side after a few interrupted years. They get tried as ruck and just don't seem to make it or get moved on as they are not the next Gawn or Grundy: J.Roughead, Keffe , Vickery and probably Mason Cox . Even Jarrod Witts got delisted at Collingwood.

Whatever we paid for him was worth the price, as he put his body and mind on the line to win us that premiership. I am very thankful he did everything he could in that year, in those moments to win it.

He will be one player remembered as a legend for that glorious day.

Patton just retired. In a few years time, someone will ask, Patton who ? What did he do ? not so positive stories

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's irrational but there's something in the back of my mind/ thinking that believes Tom isn't lost to Australian Rules Football. He's 25 now, has his life ahead of him and as much as leaving the game when he did was right at the time for some reason it didn't feel final to me.

Most likely I'm wrong, but there's just something there (and maybe it's just me).

I think you are right and I hope that the club is in regular contact with Tom. Age wise he'd be the perfect replacement when Martin retires.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken recovered from concussion, Clay Smith's knee better, Shane Biggs over the party lifestyle, Jack Redpath learnt to change direction, and Tom Boyd back in love with the game. Trade for Roughead, Dahlhaus, Stringer & Hamling
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

11. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Tom Boyd is a Bulldog Immortal. I hope to meet him one day and thank him personally for his efforts. I waited from 1956 to see us win the Premiership. That's a long time. There are many things we want in life and a lot of them are within our control. But winning a flag is something that only others could do for me. It was their gift to me and I indebted to them. That's how much that month and that Flag meant to me.
    I still remember reading and following your efforts to get back to Melbourne in time. Remarkable effort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I still remember reading and following your efforts to get back to Melbourne in time. Remarkable effort
    Believe me it was worth the effort. For anyone who missed the post re that trip, here it is again.

https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...39/#post-69098
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

14. Likes Twodogs, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It will never happen, he seems busy and importantly happy, but if he ever wanted to come back I think we could do with a 26yo, 200cm, 100kg forward/ruck (big game player). A shame we don’t have this asset right now from a playing perspective.

Forget the rumours of Rance or Rioli, I’d love to put this retiree back to work.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes KT31 liked this post