Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd Retires

Tom Morris

Verified account

@tommorris32
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Premiership Dog Tom Boyd has retired. Wow. Further evidence that footy is a brutal game physically and mentally for players.

Sad if true, but he will always be our Grand Final hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Tom Morris

Verified account

@tommorris32
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Premiership Dog Tom Boyd has retired. Wow. Further evidence that footy is a brutal game physically and mentally for players.
    Wow....unbelievable.
    Does he get to keep his coin?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd announces AFL retirement
    May 16, 2019 2:15PM

Boyd delivers on biggest stage
    Re-live the moment where Tom Boyd confirmed the Dogs would win their second flag!
    Leaving the game as a premiership player is something I will always be proud of, along with all the enduring relationships I have forged and the memories I have created along the way.
    Tom Boyd
    The physical and emotional toll of AFL football has led Tom Boyd to the decision to immediately retire from the game.

Boyd, 23, has decided to finish his time at AFL level as a premiership player who recorded 61 games and kicked 50 goals with the GWS Giants and the Bulldogs.

“My decision to retire now is a reflection of issues I’ve had over the past five years both with physical injury and with mental health, and they have now accumulated to a point where I just don’t have the desire to play or the enjoyment of the game I used to have,” Boyd said.

“I’ve spoken with key people at the Western Bulldogs and my close friends and family, and I am satisfied that this is the right decision for my future. I approached the Club about my desire to retire and be released from my contract this week, and we have worked out a mutually agreeable position.

“I’m grateful to both to the Giants and the Bulldogs for allowing me the opportunity to experience playing football at the highest level.

“I have received unbelievable support from the players, coaches and staff at the Western Bulldogs, particularly over the last couple of years, which I will always appreciate.

“Leaving the game as a premiership player is something I will always be proud of, along with all the enduring relationships I have forged and the memories I have created along the way.”

Tom and his manager Liam Pickering met with the Club this morning and reached a friendly resolution of all contractual matters. That resolution included that Tom’s payment in 2019 be reduced and that payments previously agreed for 2020 and 2021 be cancelled.

“We worked very hard to bring Tom to the football club at the end of 2014, and he has been a great contributor to the Bulldogs for over four years,” said Bulldogs Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“Everyone at the Bulldogs is saddened to hear of Tom’s decision to retire, given he is a much-loved and respected person around the Club.

“Over the last few years we have worked very closely with Tom and his family to support him through a difficult period, and we will continue to offer that support as he enters the next phase of his life.

“We will not forget the role he played on the field, especially in the 2016 finals series when he showed the football world what he was capable of, on the biggest stage possible.

“We will miss Tom’s influence at the Bulldogs, and he and his family will always be welcome at the Club.”

Post Thanks / Like

Takes a proportion of this year's contract and walks away from his last 2 years.

The media should take a great deal of the heat for this situation. Naturally they won't as they are above the standards they demand of others.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Sad, but probably the right decision for him rather than keep struggling. I'll never forget that glorious post-goal run with Toby clinging to his back in the Grand Final -- such a joyous image.

7. Likes Mofra, DOG GOD, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I'm not surprised. I don't think he's looked interested for some time and clearly his mind is elsewhere. It's a good move for him, he probably loses those big dollars but there is more to life than money so it's a great decision for him to leave it all behind. I truely hope he find his way in life. All the best Tom!

9. Likes Topdog, N/A, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gutted - really wanted him to make it.

Feel for him and hope he can be at peace away from footy.

A real shame but forever grateful, Tom.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC, josie, N/A, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wtf!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think anyone saw that coming. Go well, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

On some levels it is incredibly sad. All of the reasons for that - the pressure, his mental illness and his injury issues all speak for themselves.

On another level, I guess the silver lining, is that it is probably an incredible weight off his shoulders. He comes across as an intelligent young man, who will have the capacity to have a good career elsewhere - and obviously leaves the game well set up financially.

Part of me feels relieved for him. As a supporter, I felt anxious for him every time he played, for every contest he was in, that he would hold his own to some extent and get some positive momentum in his career.

15. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact he's sacrificing such huge coin and has been so honest with the club adds to my sympathies for him, but he will always be a Bullgod and the argument over whether he should have won the Normie will never cease.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes hujsh, N/A, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So do we have heaps of cash now or was he front loaded?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The retirement is nearly as big a shock as the recruitment was...

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the best to the big fella.

Bringing him to the club was a watershed moment & culminated in the greatest game of our lives. Now he does the right thing by the club and himself to move on and allows everyone focus on more important things.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.