Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was flicking through some old articles and came along this well known fact:

“ The Western Bulldogs honoured Tom Boyd with life membership, the club revealed the 2016 premiership hero handed back $2 million when he walked away from the game earlier this year.”

Thinking about that we needed two things to happen to secure Treloar (salary wise), AT had $4.5M owed:

- $1.5M from Collingwood ($3M owing)
    - $2M from Tom Boyd ($1M owing, or $200,000 per season)

I get the money isn’t in a straight line, that said it’s a huge wildcard at the time that allowed for an audacious trade for AT. The cash was a gift. The ability to sign all we wanted, recruit well AND get another top liner in our window is the legacy (beyond 2016). After it was announced I don’t think I’ve thought about it once, but what they club has been able to do with that cash (especially during COVID) is great and I’m sure Tom can appreciate that we have reinvested it very well.
    He did the club such a solid by retiring with so much grace.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He did the club such a solid by retiring with so much grace.
    The club can nominate him to handover our next premiership cup. Fair trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be very cool.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I was flicking through some old articles and came along this well known fact:

“ The Western Bulldogs honoured Tom Boyd with life membership, the club revealed the 2016 premiership hero handed back $2 million when he walked away from the game earlier this year.”

Thinking about that we needed two things to happen to secure Treloar (salary wise), AT had $4.5M owed:

- $1.5M from Collingwood ($3M owing)
    - $2M from Tom Boyd ($1M owing, or $200,000 per season)

I get the money isn’t in a straight line, that said it’s a huge wildcard at the time that allowed for an audacious trade for AT. The cash was a gift. The ability to sign all we wanted, recruit well AND get another top liner in our window is the legacy (beyond 2016). After it was announced I don’t think I’ve thought about it once, but what they club has been able to do with that cash (especially during COVID) is great and I’m sure Tom can appreciate that we have reinvested it very well.
    Tom Boyd is a thoroughly decent human.

You should know, you recruited him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe, bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was highly responsible for the last one and has really done very well with the dignity of his departure.

Absolutely an ideal choice for the handover, but I suspect there will be a few other legends of the club who can do the next few.

Put Tom down to present one in another 20 odd years, after we have had become accustomed to receiving them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Tom Boyd is a thoroughly decent human.

You should know, you recruited him.
    True. True.

But like when you cash as a present as a kid, you never knew what the present was until you bought it yourself. Tom’s salary allowed for both Bruce & Keath. But we spent the $2M now on Treloar. So we now know the real present is AT.

Pretty amazing to think Tom’s decision to forego years of salary contracted and perhaps extended but on less, helps secure Bruce & Keath, and Tom’s pay back allows the acquisition of Treloar. Just an amazing change by one decision by one player to retire. And we still have a Pick 1 KPF on the list in any event.

Thinking of Tom himself, thank god he realised that AFL footy wasn’t making him happy. 2020 with pay disputes and hubs away from family would’ve been a living nightmare. So rare an event in life when everyone walks away genuinely happy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So much love for Tom Boyd but surely Dougie gets an opportunity first?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True. True.

But like when you cash as a present as a kid, you never knew what the present was until you bought it yourself. Tom’s salary allowed for both Bruce & Keath. But we spent the $2M now on Treloar. So we now know the real present is AT.

Pretty amazing to think Tom’s decision to forego years of salary contracted and perhaps extended but on less, helps secure Bruce & Keath, and Tom’s pay back allows the acquisition of Treloar. Just an amazing change by one decision by one player to retire. And we still have a Pick 1 KPF on the list in any event.

Thinking of Tom himself, thank god he realised that AFL footy wasn’t making him happy. 2020 with pay disputes and hubs away from family would’ve been a living nightmare. So rare an event in life when everyone walks away genuinely happy.
    Humble as ever I see.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's irrational but there's something in the back of my mind/ thinking that believes Tom isn't lost to Australian Rules Football. He's 25 now, has his life ahead of him and as much as leaving the game when he did was right at the time for some reason it didn't feel final to me.

Most likely I'm wrong, but there's just something there (and maybe it's just me).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He looks happy to be out of the game so i don't see it but things can certainly change quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's irrational but there's something in the back of my mind/ thinking that believes Tom isn't lost to Australian Rules Football. He's 25 now, has his life ahead of him and as much as leaving the game when he did was right at the time for some reason it didn't feel final to me.

Most likely I'm wrong, but there's just something there (and maybe it's just me).
    Have been thinking the same.

I wonder!

Wonder if the club is.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, as Tom would be an SSP selection and guaranteed to come back free of drafts, except his salary which you’d think he would want headlines about the size. Tom rucking 65/35 forward to Tim 35/65 forward is fun to think about. Probably the best cheap ruckman after Martin retires.

But he seems happier these days and probably doesn’t miss the back injuries either. 2.5 years is a long time out of the game. Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder how long it takes to get full fitness for AFL, plus touch back and brought up to speed on tactics and the way the game is played now.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, as Tom would be an SSP selection and guaranteed to come back free of drafts, except his salary which you’d think he would want headlines about the size. Tom rucking 65/35 forward to Tim 35/65 forward is fun to think about. Probably the best cheap ruckman after Martin retires.

But he seems happier these days and probably doesn’t miss the back injuries either. 2.5 years is a long time out of the game. Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder how long it takes to get full fitness for AFL, plus touch back and brought up to speed on tactics and the way the game is played now.
    I don't think he's any chance of coming back. I remember his interview on the Barkly St Podcast some time ago, and it really seemed to me from his responses that he had a realisation that the life of an AFL footballer with all of its controls upon all aspects of your life it entails, was just incongruent with how he wanted to live.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I don't think he's any chance of coming back. I remember his interview on the Barkly St Podcast some time ago, and it really seemed to me from his responses that he had a realisation that the life of an AFL footballer with all of its controls upon all aspects of your life it entails, was just incongruent with how he wanted to live.
    He is keeping pretty busy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-boyd-5388b9123/
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Ahhh the pangs of unfulfilled promise ... not withstanding being BOG in a flag winning side of course.
    BORDERLINE FLYING