Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Just watched his interview with Bob, interesting comparing the Dogs with GWS.
    In what way did he do so for those of us who may not be able to get across it for a bit?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    In what way did he do so for those of us who may not be able to get across it for a bit?
    It was more about a team full of stars and each one trying to climb to the top of the pile and that it was a competitive place to be in and in Toms case not very friendly.
    Enter to the Dogs and it's like a family and everyone getting on with each other and there being more emotion around the place.
    Something that comes with history and having to fight for your very existence.
    Maybe he was just saying the right things because it was Bob and Bulldog media were running the show.

Also it seemed like the Dogs were into him early and that when Griffen said he wanted out that was the catalyst.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd’s legacy could be the greatest of all our premiership players. An impressive post by an impressive man.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF5hdv4F...=1ghq0exz2wyhx
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

5. Likes Eastdog, bornadog, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Tom Boyd’s legacy could be the greatest of all our premiership players. An impressive post by an impressive man.

Great post. What a great guy Tom is. Forever a Bulldog premiership hero!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Impressive bloke
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with him. So many clowns on social media wanting to @ players etc with there frustration is just ordinary at best. That being said, I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes.... if a player is worried about what peanuts are saying on social media I'm not sure they're the right player to take us to the next level.

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I do agree with him. So many clowns on social media wanting to @ players etc with there frustration is just ordinary at best. That being said, I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes.... if a player is worried about what peanuts are saying on social media I'm not sure they're the right player to take us to the next level.
    Agree. It's very hard when you get the huge volume of attention, but it's not going away any time soon. Control the things you can and get better at letting go of the stuff you can't.

Direct threats and abuse etc are no good. Don't do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I just think we are a different generation though. I'm in my early 40s so never grew up with it & i've never been on facebook, twitter or instagram. I don't get the attraction of letting everyone know everything that i do or think. I agree with your sentiment here but its just not that easy. I think these kids coming through these days already lack resilience & there in lies the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I just think we are a different generation though. I'm in my early 40s so never grew up with it & i've never been on facebook, twitter or instagram. I don't get the attraction of letting everyone know everything that i do or think. I agree with your sentiment here but its just not that easy. I think these kids coming through these days already lack resilience & there in lies the problem.
    I'd be interested to know how other clubs deal with it. I live in my own Bulldog bubble so rarely read a note about how other clubs handle things. I see the racism ones get called out and the death threats earlier in the season but don't see other teams calling out people on social media for potting players? I can't imagine it's any worse than other clubs and due to our lower supporter base I'm sure it is not as frequent.

I follow the NBA as well and man, if they got the abuse AFL footballers did their social media lives would be a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Hopefully that's just terrible phasing.

'Kids these days' aren't worse than in your day they've just grown up in different circumstances. Things like anxiety are more common which is probably related to the feedback look of social media and the constant judgement/pressure it puts on people mentally especially when young.

Being off it is probably the correct response though you're right there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

'Kids these days' aren't worse than in your day they've just grown up in different circumstances. Things like anxiety are more common which is probably related to the feedback look of social media and the constant judgement/pressure it puts on people mentally especially when young.

I do think they have a tougher hand than i did growing up. Yeah its different but every generation is different. The consequences of 'smart' technology has had a very real negative effect on kids. You only need to look at the rates of mental health in our youth to understand there are real issues here. We're talking primary school age kids here too.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe it was the Lions who talked about using the resilience project this year & have raved about it. My wife came home maybe 5 years ago talking about a guy from the resilience project doing a 1 hour talk at a nursing seminar & what an amazing talk it was. A few of things she said really resonated with me, so i looked them up. Watched a couple of 10 minute talks & was impressed enough to buy a ticket & spend a few hours listening to what he had to say. I was blown away with what he presented that night & some of the statistics he provided about mental health in our youth were staggering.

For anyone with mental health issues or even if you don't, it can be a game changer. I don't have mental heath issues but i know plenty of friends & work colleagues that do & i got an enormous amount out of it. Even a great thing to do if you have kids.

16. Likes SquirrelGrip, hujsh, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

anfo didn't say that young people are worse, just that they lack resilience to handle the outcomes of the technology that is foistered on them from an early age...which I have to agree with (as the father of a young son).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, a fit and motovated Tom Boyd would help Tim English a bit next season no?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Geez, a fit and motovated Tom Boyd would help Tim English a bit next season no?
    Pass.

You do remember that he wasn't much good!?!