Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Only just watched it such an impressive young man. I still believe we done the right thing in recruiting him and so proud he has a love for our club.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

2. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a great interview with Tom Boyd by Mike Sheahan and highlighted Tom’s sincerity in coming to the decision of cutting short his contract by a couple of years to build a better life for himself rather than the huge demands now required of AFL players. We will always remember the great impact he made to secure our 2016 Premiership. I would encourage any of our WOOF contributors to watch a replay of the program should you have missed it last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Entire Open Mike episodes here for those without Foxtel.

5. Thanks 1eyedog, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that was excellent viewing. Tom's clearly an articulate lad who had a huge amount going for him, but identified he wasn't happy and showed he had an enormous amount of strength to admit to it and address it.

If any of his detractors who watched this and afterwards still remained the same in the way they felt towards him would be completely missing the point.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone feel Tom was pushed into football by his old man? Seems he never wanted to play even as a junior.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Does anyone feel Tom was pushed into football by his old man? Seems he never wanted to play even as a junior.
    I would doubt it. His Father is from South Africa and Mother has a Danish background. Tom attended Luther College in Croydon where two of our grand daughters attended. He was a number one draft pick like a number of similar tall number one picks by other Clubs in recent years. Boyd was a stand out at junior level and highly sought after by AFL clubs. My understanding is that his choice of Club if he had have fulfilled the final two years of his Contract at GWS, if we hadn’t lured him to the WB, would have been Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I would doubt it. His Father is from South Africa and Mother has a Danish background. Tom attended Luther College in Croydon where two of our grand daughters attended. He was a number one draft pick like a number of similar tall number one picks by other Clubs in recent years. Boyd was a stand out at junior level and highly sought after by AFL clubs. My understanding is that his choice of Club if he had have fulfilled the final two years of his Contract at GWS, if we hadn’t lured him to the WB, would have been Carlton.
    So he would have retired with a couple of spoons, rather than holding up a cup and getting a medal. Lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    If you listen to the interview, he was not keen to play football.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he said that at all. He wanted to play AFL footy, thought it would be a good job but wasn't obsessed with it like most kids would be in his position.

In the end he found the realities of being an AFL footballer and the pressures involved were not something he enjoyed or coped with particularly well and made the decision he would be far happier not playing at the highest level. Still enjoys playing footy with his mates in a suburban league.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleased to hear that he had no regrets about retiring from AFL early and I hope he is enjoying playing footy at whatever level he plays at.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's like we were talking about the other day with players who obviously don't enjoy all the trappings of the sport they happen to be good at like Nick Kyrios.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's like we were talking about the other day with players who obviously don't enjoy all the trappings of the sport they happen to be good at like Nick Kyrios.
    Yeah, I agree, I hope he finds happiness in what he does in the future.

I will never ever forget him in the Prelim and Grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree, I hope he finds happiness in what he does in the future.

I will never ever forget him in the Prelim and Grand final.
    He seems a fairly emotionally intelligent and well adjusted kid. Not many mid 20 year olds would even think of walking away from the pot of money he was assured of but not only did he work out that the money wasn't helping but that he should forego it and it might make a positive difference to his life. I'm more impressed that he did that than I am with anything that he did on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom has written a great article of that Famous week in 2016 in the Grand Final Footy Record

18. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched his interview with Bob, interesting comparing the Dogs with GWS.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...