Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Gutted that it has come to this. He had that much potential. One of my most treasured possessions is a photo with Tom Boyd and my son on the fence Grand Final day on the victory parade (in a frame on my son's wall). Thanks for the memories Tom.

But happy that he can possibly get to a better place. The chat he had on the podcast "Freedom in the cage" last year with Bob gives a lot of insight into how he made this decision. It's a worth a listen.

Mental health is a complex issue. I'm definitely not an expert. His talk with Bob spoke about how everything in his life had come so easy (tall, smart, good at sport, good looking, good academically, number #1 draft pick etc.). He never had to deal with any setbacks or had to show any grit to work his way through an issue. He says he was not equipped to handle the pressure and negative feedback when he took the large pay deal to move to the Dogs (the media pressure surrounding the deal was ridiculous.)

Lots of genetic factors at play too ... but that ability to learn to cope when things don't go your way or to persist when you may not be the best at something as a child appears to be such an important pillar in being able to cope as an adult.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, 1eyedog, Grantysghost, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry to bring it out, I also heard that from a mate of a (current player)
    It's fine BAD yes I was told direct from Tristan at the Healesville FC when I played with him with the Indigenous All Stars against Eastern Health a few years ago, an exhibition match. I know his Dad really well and was invited to play. Tristan told me a fair bit about his time at the club but I'm not going to drag anything through the mud. Hi issue main issue was how he didn't get a fair crack at it because he had to decoy for Cloke. I remember him saying the coaching and support staff there were first class, and that's all that really matters.

The players mentioned above are all gone now, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

This is about Tom anyway, all the best Tom and thanks for all the fish.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Started off hearing about this moving to sadness. No winners.

Now I'm in white hot rage. I have a list for just in case I get an incurable cancer. That list is bigger.

Chalk up another win for the black hearted arseholes of the world, who openly wanted a kid to have this happen today (or sooner).

If, Tom Boyd retires
    Then, he'd still have invitations to premiership reunions, having had an actual achievement in the sport
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling two overwhelming emotions.

The first is immense sadness. And not just for the fact that well never see Tom play again, nor that well never see him realise his potential.

As many on here know, I'm a Police Officer, and next month I tick over ten years since marching out of Glen Waverley.

In that ten years I've seen what happens when a person's mental health fails them.

I've seen people I love, admire and respect become shells of their former selves because of demons within. As such, the thought of a person's metal health cutting a career short hits very, very close to home.

Balancing that out, however, is the feeling of immense gratitude I'll always carry with me when I think of Tom.

Not just for his heroics on that wonderful grand final day and all the other highlights Tom gave us over the years.

I'm grateful to his family for the wonderful, humble young man he was sculpted into.

I'm grateful for the junior coaches who started him on his journey.

I'm grateful to Peter Gordon and Jason McCartney for deciding not to take Ryan Griffen's departure lying down, instead taking an insane gamble on an unproven talent.

I'm grateful for Luke Beveridge and his team of coaches for homing Tom's talent and showing the faith in him.

I'm grateful to the supporters in his life that have nursed him through what must surely have been a horrific last two years.

But most of all I'm grateful to Tom himself. For having enough faith in our club to commit as strongly to us as no 19 year old has ever done. For stoically enduring the worst our game can offer up simply to be one of us.

Grateful that, when 'The Stadium held it's breath', fate chose to side with us.

Most of all, however, I'm grateful simply that he's still here to make the decision to walk away from it all.

Thank you Tom. Thank you for everything. Go well. You'll always be one of us.

Post Thanks / Like

I was too young to remember '54, and was starting to think I would never see a Bulldog Premiership.

Thank-you Tom, for the tears of joy on Grand Final day 2016. When Moz made That tackle, and you kicked That goal you somehow made me feel that my life (as a Bulldog fan) was complete.

I am so sorry it couldn't do the same for you.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours, and all the health and happiness your young life can bring to you.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

8. Likes 1eyedog, josie, merantau, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone should let the club know about these WOOF posts so Big Tom can read them. Every post is so poignant and full of admiration and support and gratitude.

All the very best to you and yours Tom. You have done so much good to share openly the challenges you’ve faced.

In my mind BOG on 011016. I have your GF photo (with Caleb giving you a hug) - hanging pride of place at home and it means even more to me now.
    Last edited by josie; 16-05-2019 at 06:37 PM.

10. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a humble, quiet kid , to be honest I can’t renember him facing the press much at all.
    Watching the marks, the goals of 2016 grand final day just gave me goose bumps and the hair raised on the back of my neck.
    Tom you will forever be able to look back and enjoy it as you get older, show your kids your grandkids how you made The western suburbs yours forever.
    Be proud of what you achieved in such a short career.
    Get well mate you have a lot of love for you out this way.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everything Tom. Forever immortal.

Probably the right move for both parties.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Above all else Tom every Bulldogs supporter wishes you and your family the best of everything in your future. You gave us great memories of your immense talent and we admire you as a fine young man. After 62 years of our Bulldogs premiership drought you stamped yourself on a finals series the like of which has never been seen. The Moz tackle and your goal are etched forever in every supporter's mind, it is Bulldogs folklore. Go well Tom all the very best to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tommy. Forever a Premiership hero.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Is it possible to feel shocked but unsurprised?

We'll continue to die wondering if he could ever be that key forward.

Achieved plenty compared to most mortals. Go well young man.
    He WAS THAT key forward ( and ruck! ). I remember an interview with Mark Hamill where they asked him, don't you regret not starring in any other movies? He replied " How many people get to be the lead in the most famous movie of all time? - I regret nothing!". I feel similar with Tom. We wanted a key forward and we got one. It won us a premiership. He was close to BOG in the first Bulldogs winning final for five decades. The average AFL career is 60 games.
    I feel enormously grateful.

I hope he is not in a lot of pain and has interesting things to do with his life. I also hope his money is invested well.
    What a legend.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes 1eyedog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a day to remember what Tom gave us, and his integrity in admitting his lack of interest in the game, despite the financial rewards on offer for hanging on, are to be commended. I love this guy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He'll be back. Needs to sort out some crap first.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Shocked when I first heard the news but like some on here I’m not too surprised either. I wish Tom all the best for what he does next. I am proud to say I was there at the 2016 grand final to witness his most important and best game to help us win the flag. His marking that day was unbelieveable and that goal in the last quarter and image etched in all our memories.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone’s favourite media stooge, Damien Barrett, has said on AFL.com.au that he believes Boyd’s deal should still be included in our salary cap and there needs to be clarification around it.

His pettiness is just sad at this point.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.