Gutted that it has come to this. He had that much potential. One of my most treasured possessions is a photo with Tom Boyd and my son on the fence Grand Final day on the victory parade (in a frame on my son's wall). Thanks for the memories Tom.

But happy that he can possibly get to a better place. The chat he had on the podcast "Freedom in the cage" last year with Bob gives a lot of insight into how he made this decision. It's a worth a listen.

Mental health is a complex issue. I'm definitely not an expert. His talk with Bob spoke about how everything in his life had come so easy (tall, smart, good at sport, good looking, good academically, number #1 draft pick etc.). He never had to deal with any setbacks or had to show any grit to work his way through an issue. He says he was not equipped to handle the pressure and negative feedback when he took the large pay deal to move to the Dogs (the media pressure surrounding the deal was ridiculous.)

Lots of genetic factors at play too ... but that ability to learn to cope when things don't go your way or to persist when you may not be the best at something as a child appears to be such an important pillar in being able to cope as an adult.