Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Pass.

You do remember that he wasn't much good!?!
    Well, most of the time, yeah....
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    anfo didn't say that young people are worse, just that they lack resilience to handle the outcomes of the technology that is foistered on them from an early age...which I have to agree with (as the father of a young son).
    Yeah I took that from his next response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I just think we are a different generation though. I'm in my early 40s so never grew up with it & i've never been on facebook, twitter or instagram. I don't get the attraction of letting everyone know everything that i do or think. I agree with your sentiment here but its just not that easy. I think these kids coming through these days already lack resilience & there in lies the problem.
    I deleted Facebook a year ago because a. I kept seeing pictures of people I don’t know and b. I was becoming furious with the dickheads on the bulldogs FB pages - literally angry. Honestly haven’t missed it for one second!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I deleted Facebook a year ago because a. I kept seeing pictures of people I don’t know and b. I was becoming furious with the dickheads on the bulldogs FB pages - literally angry. Honestly haven’t missed it for one second!
    So do you come here now and get furious with dickheads here?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. I didn't delete it, I still use messenger and click on stuff people I know IRL post but I don't bother with anything strangers say.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    There are a lot of unnecessary digs at the club which are tiresome. Not sure if they are meant to be funny.

I know one poster who contacted me saying he won't be back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I avoid reading comments on footy posts (well most public posts really) on FB for the same reason. Every club is the same.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know one poster who contacted me saying he won't be back.
    Yeah but nobody misses Chops.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Yeah but nobody misses Chops.
    Chops is a mate, but I wasn't talking about him. This is only in the last few weeks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Chops is a mate,
    Well we all have our cross to bear.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes azabob, jeemak, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Haha! Honestly, other way round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I avoid reading comments on footy posts (well most public posts really) on FB for the same reason. Every club is the same.
    Yeh that is so true. One thing I did notice which surprised me, when we drafted Trengove, I joined the Port Adelaide FB fan group and I’ve got to say to see what they said about him - I’ve never seen a classier conversation on FB than the way they spoke about him on his way out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh that is so true. One thing I did notice which surprised me, when we drafted Trengove, I joined the Port Adelaide FB fan group and I’ve got to say to see what they said about him - I’ve never seen a classier conversation on FB than the way they spoke about him on his way out.
    That’s because they were happy to see him move on. If he was in his prime it probably would have been a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

We were the same with D Cross.

Post Thanks / Like

I was flicking through some old articles and came along this well known fact:

“ The Western Bulldogs honoured Tom Boyd with life membership, the club revealed the 2016 premiership hero handed back $2 million when he walked away from the game earlier this year.”

Thinking about that we needed two things to happen to secure Treloar (salary wise), AT had $4.5M owed:

- $1.5M from Collingwood ($3M owing)
    - $2M from Tom Boyd ($1M owing, or $200,000 per season)

I get the money isn’t in a straight line, that said it’s a huge wildcard at the time that allowed for an audacious trade for AT. The cash was a gift. The ability to sign all we wanted, recruit well AND get another top liner in our window is the legacy (beyond 2016). After it was announced I don’t think I’ve thought about it once, but what they club has been able to do with that cash (especially during COVID) is great and I’m sure Tom can appreciate that we have reinvested it very well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes Bulldog Joe, Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post