Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  235
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Retires

Is it possible to feel shocked but unsurprised?

We'll continue to die wondering if he could ever be that key forward.

Achieved plenty compared to most mortals. Go well young man.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes Bulldog Revolution, hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Is it possible to feel shocked but unsurprised?

We'll continue to die wondering if he could ever be that key forward.

Achieved plenty compared to most mortals. Go well young man.
    feel the same

Probably also gives greater context to Bevo talking about how far off AFL footy that Tom was/is - a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

This might not be the thread for it but the salary cap implications could be huge. The numbers were never straight forward on this deal but you’d imagine we’ve now freed up quite a bit of cash.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes the Naughton acquisition all the more crucial. I wonder if we had some foresight in this. Adams leaving and Tom's future uncertain.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    This might not be the thread for it but the salary cap implications could be huge. The numbers were never straight forward on this deal but you’d imagine we’ve now freed up quite a bit of cash.
    I think everyone is sensible enough to understand that we all feel incredibly sad for Tom and wish him the best - and can talk about the sad side of it, and the practical side of it in the same thread.

But yes, on the practical side, him coming to the club and as part of retiring, giving up the 2020 and 2021 $'s - it frees up space to get in a very good player. I had heard that in 2016 his wage was up in the high $1m's - so 20/21 might only be 600-800K per year - but still really significant.

Post Thanks / Like

I will always be grateful for his contribution on grand final day. I remember when he kicked the center square goal and being so happy that it was he that scored it and would hopefully silence his critics from that day fourth. He just couldn't get a clean run at it with due to his body and other factors at play. But mostly, I am glad that he chose us and filled us with hope and optimism. At a time of desperation when the situation was bleak he elected to come to a team without a coach that was predicted by all (me included) to be a bottom four club and a rabble. All the best in life. I look forward to hearing about your success in all your future endeavors.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC, Max469, HOSE B ROMERO, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Massive news and I wish him all the best.

He made a significant contribution to us particularly in 2016 and that won't be forgotten by me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Tom can sort him self out. Massive decision for him to give it all away.

Thank you Tom for that one day in September, we will never forget it and never forget you.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaves us a ruck short. Maybe his decision has something to do with the mid season draft coming up
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At 23, it’s not too late for him to have a break for a year or two and give it another crack either if that’s what he wants.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Leaves us a ruck short. Maybe his decision has something to do with the mid season draft coming up
    Must target a Ruck

Thanks to Tom for his service. Had people actively hoping for his demise and for that brief moment he made them all look very foolish. His contribution to the club in a short time was as much as you could have asked for. Always has seemed like, more than anything, a great person. Sometimes that doesn't gel well with being a great footballer. I wish him all the best and hope this decision is the best for his future and allows him to find happiness in other parts of life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.

Please don't get injured Timmy English. Pretty please.

Otherwise Jordon Sweet come on down.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Tom's physical and mental health is far more important that chasing around a football and being constantly scrutinised and criticized by mainstream media filth and low life trolls on social media.

Good luck Tom - you will be a BullGod hero forever for being a massive part of the 2016 Premiership team.
    Footscray member since 1980.

19. Likes WBFC4FFC, G-Mo77, Topdog, Ghost Dog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee whiz. The writing was on the wall I guess. Fair thee well Tom life is more important than football.
    What a time to deliver his career best. Worth every cent.

21. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish him nothing but the best

His career is a snapshot of the modern game - a ludicrously overhyped key forward prospect drafted to a startup franchise (they werent even a club) - to play for a team and in a town he never wanted to play for, and probably had legit mental health reasons for not wanting to right from the start.

We were criticised for trading for him - when losing our captain/best midfielder - when really, we couldn't just accept the Giants 6th best midfielder in return.

He put it all aside to do enough in the ruck in a prelim when Roughy went down and then produce a brilliant grand final to win the finest premiership football has ever seen. I didnt want to acknowledge my inner voices when he kicked that left foot snap in the second quarter - but my brain spoke to me and it said you dont lose grand finals when Tom Boyd is kicking goals like that.

The media hounded him, and us - for our paying of an untried prospect - even though it worked and delivered the mythical cup - they continued to hound and he retreated once more and lost his desire to play the game. And now they will say how sad it is and repeat the cycle. He was never anything more than news to them.

23. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post