Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tom Boyd trade that shook up footy landscape — and what it’s meant for Giants and Bulldogs

The blockbuster 2014 trade, featuring Dave Matthews, Tom Boyd and Peter Gordon.
    Source: FOX SPORTS
    You would be hard pressed to find a trade that has caused more fanfare than Tom Boyd leaving Greater Western Sydney for the Western Bulldogs in 2014.

The Bulldogs premiership hero announced his retirement on Thursday afternoon, declaring he didn’t have the desire to continue playing.

Less than 12 months after being called out by GWS recruiter Paul Brodie as Pick No. 1 at the 2013 national draft, Boyd requested a trade to the Bulldogs during a frantic final week of trade period.

It was a move that may never be seen again in the AFL landscape.

The catalyst for the Boyd trade came just days after then Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney handed in his resignation, with captain Ryan Griffen electing to walk out and request a trade to the Giants.
    Griffen’s decision left the Bulldogs fuming, with president Peter Gordon slamming the decision after “peace talks” had been conducted between all parties to discuss concerns.

“We arranged for Ryan to meet with Brendan and our football director, Chris Grant, and they discussed his concerns. Brendan acknowledged some faults and agreed to work on them. At the conclusion of the meeting, Chris asked Ryan if he was happy with the meeting and agreeable to working with ‘Macca’ on an ongoing basis,” Gordon said in a statement at the time.

“Ryan answered yes to both questions and added that while he was on leave he wanted to reflect upon whether he was best suited to captain the club in the future.”
    But after returning from the overseas trip, Griffen told his management of his intention to leave the club, blindsiding the Bulldogs.

‘IT WAS MORE THAN THE GF’:

Tom Boyd announced his retirement on Thursday. Photo: Michael Dodge/AFL Media.
    Source: Supplied
    TRADE TABLE NEGOTIATIONS

With Boyd requesting a trade, the two moves essentially became a straight swap. But the Giants weren’t letting go that easily.

“With Ryan Griffen indicating he will seek a trade to the Giants, we are in discussions with the Western Bulldogs. We have been clear with them that despite any speculation or interest, Tom Boyd will not be traded under any circumstances,” Giants boss Dave Matthews said on the club’s website.

But the Giants suddenly had a change of heart after several factors allowed for a clearer vision of the club’s stance on the trade.

“First, the Bulldogs have made a revised and attractive offer, which now includes their first draft pick, an elite player in Ryan Griffen and salary cap assistance in relation to his contract,” Matthews said.

“Second, our coach Leon Cameron has consulted the leadership group and they have agreed they want a united and loyal playing group heading into an important season.

“Third, as a club, we are proud to represent western Sydney and Canberra and it’s critical that our players share that value. Clearly, Tom doesn’t.”

WHY THE GIANTS TOOK HIM AT PICK 1

During 2013, Boyd carried the No. 1 burden on his back throughout the season, with the key forward seen as the best player in the draft pool. A severe ankle injury restricted his season, but he booted three goals in the first 10 minutes against Western Australia before he left the ground.

A four-goal haul in the 2013 TAC Cup Grand Final for the Eastern Ranges was seen by many as the performance that sealed Boyd’s No. 1 pick chances.

Leon Cameron hands Tom Boyd his GWS guernsey at the 2013 national draft.
    Source: News Limited
    He took 19 contested marks at Under 18 level, using his power and crashing packs. He hit the scoreboard and was able to pick the ball up cleanly from ground level.

In his debut season, Boyd played nine games for the Giants, kicking eight goals.

But it all changed when he joined the Bulldogs on a seven-year, $7 million deal. Under the terms of his contract, the key tall had to remain on draftee wages for the first year at the kennel.

Revealed by AFL journalist Damian Barrett, the Bulldog took up a large chunk of their salary cap in 2016, the year they won the premiership.

“You dig a bit deeper and you establish the fact that he got paid significantly more (after his first year at the Dogs) — on 2016 figures alone, $1.7 million a year,” he said on Triple M in 2017.

“That is because it was the second year of the Bulldogs contract, but the first year of the fresh money coming in, because he was initially on the second year of the GWS deal when he got to the Bulldogs, effectively on $100,000 or thereabouts.

“Last year, on the back of this $7 million deal going down, the Bulldogs — and I think rightly, and well done mathematically — gave him some massive money upfront.

“Now that figure’s come down from $1.7 million this year, and will be less than the $1.7 million for the duration of his contract. But it is an extraordinary number.”

So after Boyd announced his retirement with 61 games and a premiership medal, how does the trade look for both parties?

Tom Boyd retires from AFL
    HOW THE DOGS FARED FROM THE TRADE

With Boyd joining the Bulldogs, they handed away Pick 6. Talls Jake Lever (now Melbourne) and Peter Wright (now Gold Coast Suns) were believed to be two players in the mix for the Dogs’ selection back in 2014, before it landed at the Giants.

The Bulldogs would be vindicated given they managed to break their 62-year premiership drought, with the young forward the star of the finals series. For some, he was robbed of winning the 2016 Norm Smith Medallist on Grand Final day.

Boyd played a crucial role in the ruck and up forward, booting three goals and clunking a team-high eight marks as the Bulldogs ran out 22-point winners over the Sydney Swans. His final-quarter goal will forever be etched into the minds of the red, white and blue faithful, putting together one of his best performances in his 38 games to date.

When quizzed months later over Boyd’s contract length, champion forward Wayne Carey defended the trade, claiming it was worth every cent as they had won a premiership out of the move.

“He made it all back in the grand final,” he told Triple M in 2017.

“I voted on the Norm Smith (Medal) and I voted him best on ground … that in itself has paid back every cent.”

HOW THE GIANTS FARED FROM THE TRADE

The crucial element for the Giants was acquiring Pick 6 along with Griffin, with the pair joining GWS as Boyd departed.
    The Giants took Picks 4, 6 and 7 into the 2014 draft, selecting Jarrod Pickett, Caleb Marchbank and Paul Ahern. All three departed the club within three years: Ahern to North Melbourne and Pickett and Marchbank being traded together to Carlton in 2016.

Griffen played 21 games in his first year out in Western Sydney, averaging 20.6 disposals, finishing eighth in their best and fairest.
    Tom Boyd celebrates a win for the Western Bulldogs. Photo: Michael Klein.

But injury plagued his time at the club, including a horrible syndesmosis injury in his left ankle, meaning he played just three games for the 2017 season.

griffen announced his retirement following the Giants’ semi-final loss to Collingwood in 2018, finishing with 257 AFL games for the Giants and the Bulldogs throughout his career.

Boyd’s deal continued to flow on for the Giants, as when Marchbank elected to leave for Carlton, the Giants managed to secure experienced Tiger Brett Deledio through the future first-round pick given to them from Carlton.

But similar to his final year at Richmond, injuries have played a part in Deledio’s lack of match-time for the Giants, managing just 20 of a possible 57 games.

However, despite Griffen and Deledio’s lack of on-field time, Giant insiders couldn’t be more glowing on the pair’s influence of the younger players at the club, building a culture and taking the club forward in their pursuit for an elusive premiership.

At the end of the day, it was a win-win.

TOM BOYD TRADE TIMELINE:

OCTOBER 9 2014 — Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney hands in his resignation.
    OCTOBER 9 2014 — Western Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen drops a bombshell, requesting a trade to GWS.
    OCTOBER 13 2014 — GWS forward Tom Boyd requests trade to Western Bulldogs.
    OCTOBER 13 2014 — The Giants declare they will not trade Tom Boyd under any circumstances.
    OCTOBER 14 2014 — Boyd’s manager Liam Pickering declares Boyd will leave whether it is “this year (2014) or next year (2015)”, as he “doesn’t want to live in Western Sydney”.
    OCTOBER 15 2014 — Tom Boyd is traded to Western Bulldogs, with Pick 6 and Ryan Griffen going to the Giants
    NOVEMBER 27 2014 — GWS selects Caleb Marchbank with Pick 6 in the 2014 national draft
    OCTOBER 20 2016 — Caleb Marchbank traded to Carlton in exchange for a 2017 future first round pick in a package deal along with Jarrod Pickett.
    OCTOBER 20 2016 — GWS trade their 2017 future first round pick and a 2017 future third round pick to Richmond in exchange for Brett Deledio.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tom Boyd trade that shook up footy landscape — and what it’s meant for Giants and Bulldogs

Let's do it again. Who can we target???

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tom Boyd trade that shook up footy landscape — and what it’s meant for Giants and Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Let's do it again. Who can we target???
    I just updated my rolling list management.

Cognilio, Day & Astbury are the best free agents. Peter Wright is out of contract. The $900,000 Wingard knocked back, and the $900,000 from Boyd, gives us a war chest in cap with a war chest in draft picks. Time to go to war then.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Cognilio, Day & Astbury are the best free agents. Peter Wright is out of contract. The $900,000 Wingard knocked back, and the $900,000 from Boyd, gives us a war chest in cap with a war chest in draft picks. Time to go to war then.
    Are there players you see we need to give some big dollars so we can lock them in for longer. Obviously more for The Bont, Libba, Macrae - who else could we not afford to lose.

Then we can go to War.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there players you see we need to give some big dollars so we can lock them in for longer. Obviously more for The Bont, Libba, Macrae - who else could we not afford to lose.

Then we can go to War.
    Power would’ve no doubt factored that in. Stringer, Dahl, Redders, Biggs & Adams gone, Dickson, Morris & Picken retiring. There’s plenty money to keep them all happy long term. ‘We are the threat’.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

You're getting me excited again. I would love Coniglio.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You're getting me excited again. I would love Coniglio.
    I love him too but is he a bit surplus to needs? We'd need to move on at least one of Wallis, Dunkley or Libba for it to be viable to bring another contested bull into the side.

I think we have bigger gaps in our list that the money is better spent on filling.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed we need a gun small forward or a gun key back, who should we look at?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I love him too but is he a bit surplus to needs? We'd need to move on at least one of Wallis, Dunkley or Libba for it to be viable to bring another contested bull into the side.

I think we have bigger gaps in our list that the money is better spent on filling.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed we need a gun small forward or a gun key back, who should we look at?
    I was going to address the Wallis thing elsewhere, but to me we need to tell him he's too good forward for us to ignore playing him there. If he requests a trade, so be it. If he stays, he can take the role of Dickson. Similar size, pace and deadly accurate. In that case, Cognilio could be a target. But I generally agree on money for impact.

On the KPD, free agents represent salary cap cost, but no draft pick losses. Sam Day or Astbury lead the pack. Mofra mentioned some rumours we were interested in a Carlton KPD, probably Weitering.

We need another KPF badly. Peter Wright is out of contract. Takes a second ruck role too. Would cost two first rounders I reckon.

I'm not sure about the gun small forward. Depends on how much money we have left and what sort of picks left.

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IF...we did go hard for Coniglio, we would then have the luxury of moving the Bont forward semi-permanently.

Bont at CHF
    Naughton at FF

Yeah, that could work.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Then we can go to War.
    The only player we need to sign longer term that has a contract that expires in 2019 is English.

We have time for Bont.
    Macrae, Hunter & McLean signed long term deals.

We also lose Picken's contract after this year and perhaps Morris. Wood is also on very good coin (signed as 2016 premiership captain and 2015 AA year) so we lose that shortly too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The only player we need to sign longer term that has a contract that expires in 2019 is English.

We have time for Bont.
    Macrae, Hunter & McLean signed long term deals.

We also lose Picken's contract after this year and perhaps Morris. Wood is also on very good coin (signed as 2016 premiership captain and 2015 AA year) so we lose that shortly too.
    I don't know how true this is but I heard we took over Schache's contract and it was very high. I wonder what he would be on.

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett: How Boyd walks away from $1.5m, and Dogs get cash to splash

THE MESSAGE was sent Wednesday afternoon. Tom Boyd wanted to talk to his manager Liam Pickering that night.

A few hours later and after that conversation, Boyd, 23, was retired from football.

The combination of a debilitating back injury and a mental health condition removing his once natural love of the game and rendering him unable to play the way he was born to.

Pickering didn't attempt to talk Boyd out of his decision.

"He said he'd been thinking about it for a while, the right decision is to retire from footy," Pickering told AFL.com.au.

"I didn’t try to talk him out of it. We are about supporting Tom, and from our perspective it is giving Tom all the support he wants and needs."

After finishing his chat with Boyd, Pickering began the formalities of severing Boyd's ties to the Bulldogs by making contact with club officials, including president Peter Gordon.

The Bulldogs said there was "a friendly resolution of all contractual matters", where Boyd's package for 2019 was to be reduced, and monies owed in 2020 and 2021 to be "cancelled".

Boyd, the No.1 overall national draft pick in 2013, signed one of football's biggest deals at the end of 2014, when a $7 million, seven-year deal lured him to the Bulldogs and away from GWS.

They were heady, manic days. Ryan Griffen had walked out of the Bulldogs to join GWS, the Bulldogs sacked their coach Brendan McCartney, and then sought revenge and targeted Boyd at all costs.

Boyd was on first-contract money in his first year at the Bulldogs in 2015, meaning his wage was less than $150,000.

But he earned more than $1.7 million in 2016, and again more than $1.7 million in 2017. He was believed to be on $1 million-plus for 2018, and less this year.

In retiring, he is relinquishing at least $1.5 million of contracted money.

The AFL has confirmed that that money does not need to be accounted for in the Bulldogs' salary caps of 2020 and 2021, as Boyd was a traded player, not a restricted free agent.

It means the Bulldogs can aggressively approach opposition players in the next trade period.

"We've come to an arrangement with the Bulldogs, and we won't be commenting on any that," Pickering said.

Asked if Boyd would consider playing again, Pickering said:

"No idea, at this stage, I can tell you it is not even a consideration. He's retired. If he's 29, 30, no one is asking that. He's 23, so I understand why you do, but in his mind it is his studies and getting his health right.

"There's nothing worse than doing a job you don't like, the way you would like. Going to work and not being in a good space mentally and physically, there is nothing worse when you can’t perform to your very best.

"He'll be a happier man for the pressure being lifted off his shoulders."

Boyd played 52 matches with the Bulldogs, which on rough mathematics equates to $100,000 a game.

Massive money. Silly money. Yet money well spent.

There was more than enough ROI, return on investment, for his performance in the 2016 Grand Final against Sydney was legendary.

He booted three goals, including a long-bomb, match-sealer. He should have been awarded the Norm Smith Medal in a match which secured just the second premiership for the Bulldogs.

Said Pickering: "What are teams in it for? To win a flag. How much do you pay for a flag? Forget what he was paid, he contributed that day, and the week before it in getting there. Of course he's paid it back."

Twitter: @barrettdamian

TOM BOYD TIMELINE
    October 21, 2013: Drafted to GWS with pick No.1 in the NAB AFL Draft.

April 20, 2014: Plays his first AFL game for Greater Western Sydney.

October 13, 2014: Officially requests a trade to the Western Bulldogs.

October 15, 2014: Traded to the Western Bulldogs for Ryan Griffen and pick No.6.

April 4, 2015: Plays his first AFL game for the Western Bulldogs.

June 30, 2016: Suspended indefinitely for "violent" altercation with teammate Zaine Cordy.

October 1, 2016: Kicks three goals to help the Western Bulldogs to a drought-breaking flag.

July 5, 2017: Takes indefinite leave of absence to receive treatment for depression.

July 22, 2018: Suffers back injury that prematurely ends his season, interrupts pre-season.

May 16, 2019: Announces retirement from AFL after 61 games and 50 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Damian "Backtrack" Barrett.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems Pickering drove the Boyd deal more than I realised.

Peter Gordon details how the Tom Boyd trade to the Western Bulldogs came about

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says Tom Boyd’s 2016 preliminary final heroics paved the way for “the magic of the next week”.

Boyd was thrust into the ruck early in the Dogs’ epic six-point victory against Greater Western Sydney after Jordan Roughead went down with an eye injury.

“In one sense, Tom’s time kind of began at around quarter time in the preliminary final when Roughy hurt his eye and he had to ruck for the last three quarters against (Rory) Lobb and (Shane) Mumford,” Gordon reflected.

“At that stage we were staring — in an away game — at our eighth consecutive preliminary final loss, and we hadn’t made a Grand Final in 55 years.

“It’s fair to say that but for his contribution that night we probably would have lost and the magic of the next week would never have happened — and, of course, everyone remembers his performance on that day.

“His place in Bulldog history will forever be a great one.

“I’m just really hopeful and optimistic he’ll move on to bigger and better things now, because he’s a quality human being.”

Gordon first met Boyd at his Hawthorn home “three or four days” after Bulldogs skipper Ryan Griffen sensational requested a trade to the Giants in October 2014.

“ (Ex-Dogs chief executive) Simon Garlick and I had met with (Boyd’s manager) Liam Pickering about players we might be able to recruit several months earlier and Tom’s name had come up,” Gordon said.

“Pickering had said to us; ‘Look, there’s a queue a mile long for Tom Boyd. Every club in the competition has enquired about him, wants him and the price tag will be pretty big … but you might want to think laterally — I know that (Giants coach) Leon Cameron is interested in Ryan Griffen and if you were prepared to be bold about it, if you are prepared to put your captain on the trade table, maybe a deal could be done’.

“We scotched it straight away and said: ‘We don’t trade our captain’ … but then when the captain came to us and said, ‘I’m out of here’ we were obviously in shock … but then it dawned on Simon and I at around about the same time that, ‘Hang on, maybe there’s this opportunity’.

“I remember having discussions about whether we should contact Liam Pickering or whether we should wait and hold our nerve and see whether he contacted us and I think he actually contacted Simon.”

Boyd’s monster seven-year $7 million deal was thrashed out at Gordon’s mansion that weekend.

“I’ve got a massive amount of time and respect for Tom,” Gordon said.

“I’ve got mixed emotions today, but more than anything I feel good for him. This is a decision that he’s made and he’s made it with a great deal of consideration and support from his family and friends.

“I feel it will be a relief for him. He’s 23-years-old and he’s got his whole life in front of him, but his contribution, especially in that September finals series, is up there on the big screen and for all eternity for people to look at.”