Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  40
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R9 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Should Wood be added to the list? 11 possessions, 2 or 3 of them late in the game, no marks and just one tackle
    I've been banging on about Wood since early 17, I've given up on him ages ago. He has had one of the biggest falls I can remember, the media don't even talk about him its amazing.

We badly miss an intercepter in our back half its part of the reason we lost tonight, not only did we loose the majority of one on ones we just don't take marks in our back 50 anymore. We have the flankers to take advantage but the current mix isn't working.

Wood should absolutely retire at years end he just doesn't have it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the match. The home town bias on umpiring decisions is unbelievable. The crowd is so influential but the way holding the ball is interpreted for their stars vs our players is beyond belief, and their love for Little Gazza aka Voldemort is off the chart.

I have a strange reaction from the game. We had several players well below genuine AFL standard playing and that was painfully apparent. Their lack of class and skill hurt us against the Frontrunning Cats. We had a genuine chance to go in ahead at half time but allowed 3 easy goals. Bont had a very quiet first half. Naughton was double teamed and scragged. Little Red had a disappointing game. Easton Wood had the worst game I can remember him playing. And whenever Cordy went into the ruck we were murdered.

With all of that, we were nine points down and pressing in the last quarter. They always seemed to be a two goal better team. But if some of the above deficits can be reversed, then we’re not far off.

Williams and Lipinski simply must come in for Hayes and Young.

I don’t know how Trengove appeared on Tv but I thought he did very well. You can never fault his endeavour. B Smith is going to be enormous.

And I hate that place, their fans, their players and wish I’d kept my vow to never go there again.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

3. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO, Rocket Science, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes merantau, jeemak, Bulldog4life, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I've been banging on about Wood since early 17, I've given up on him ages ago. He has had one of the biggest falls I can remember, the media don't even talk about him its amazing.

We badly miss an intercepter in our back half its part of the reason we lost tonight, not only did we loose the majority of one on ones we just don't take marks in our back 50 anymore. We have the flankers to take advantage but the current mix isn't working.

Wood should absolutely retire at years end he just doesn't have it anymore.
    I've challenged his position in the team for a while now and while I understand it's hard to explain dropping a captain but he isn't performing like a player with his experience should be let alone doing things to inspire the side as you would expect from most captains.
    He's has certainly has limitations and needs favorable match-ups, he isn't versatile and he doesn't take the game preferring to switch the ball laterally. There is no chance we will drop him but we do have to work out a way where he can be more involved.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Why drop someone who you can't replace?

Wood is clearly a better defender when able to attack the football in the air, something his role, our personnel and our structure has limited in recent years. Yes, I agree that he hasn't been playing as well as we'd like him to but his performances are linked to the personnel he has around him.

Dropping Wood makes an area of the ground that isn't strong weaker. It's a stupid idea.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why drop someone who you can't replace?

Wood is clearly a better defender when able to attack the football in the air, something his role, our personnel and our structure has limited in recent years. Yes, I agree that he hasn't been playing as well as we'd like him to but his performances are linked to the personnel he has around him.

Dropping Wood makes an area of the ground that isn't strong weaker. It's a stupid idea.
    I agree that he won't be dropped but I challenge the notion that actually dropping him makes the back line weaker. The worst case scenario is that we break even.
    He's played maybe 3 decent bordering on good games this year and the balance have been off the mark. He doesn't get a lot of the ball and it's been a while since he has performed strongly for us.

Surely Williams would be an upgrade on him at the moment.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Outside of the last 15 minutes of the game I thought we competed well at times today.
    Macrae has gotten better in the last few weeks, Smith is looking to be a great addition and Trengove has put question marks on the MC on why he wasn't picked earlier in the season.
    Hunter was good in patches today and JJ has been improving.

I hate losing and I really hate losing to Geelong but there were times today where I thought we showed encouraging signs.

If we get it right at the selection table this week we should be able to account for North next weekend

9. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that he won't be dropped but I challenge the notion that actually dropping him makes the back line weaker. The worst case scenario is that we break even.
    He's played maybe 3 decent bordering on good games this year and the balance have been off the mark. He doesn't get a lot of the ball and it's been a while since he has performed strongly for us.

Surely Williams would be an upgrade on him at the moment.
    I want Williams in the side, in my view having another medium height and big bodied defender gives us more options and will help Wood. However, Williams isn't a replacement for Wood and never will be.

Wood has played some good games, some par level games and some disappointing games - much like the team and most of its players. As I stated, as much of this is to do with personnel as it is with his own form.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of the last 15 minutes of the game I thought we competed well at times today.
    Macrae has gotten better in the last few weeks, Smith is looking to be a great addition and Trengove has put question marks on the MC on why he wasn't picked earlier in the season.
    Hunter was good in patches today and JJ has been improving.

I hate losing and I really hate losing to Geelong but there were times today where I thought we showed encouraging signs.

If we get it right at the selection table this week we should be able to account for North next weekend
    Focusing on the opposition a little, sure we held their prime movers to a lower possession count than usual however, they had to play out of their skins and in the most efficient way possible to keep themselves in front and eventually kick away. That and those factors you mention leave me comfortable of our position as a mid-table team and possible challenger for the eight.

We need to get Dale's class into the side, and I think Williams is also in that category. Lipinski is an interesting one, can his good form as an inside midfielder in the VFL translate to another role in the seniors? Unfortunately for him we're covered for inside midfielders at present.

Post Thanks / Like

I want Williams in the side, in my view having another medium height and big bodied defender gives us more options and will help Wood. However, Williams isn't a replacement for Wood and never will be.

Wood has played some good games, some par level games and some disappointing games - much like the team and most of its players. As I stated, as much of this is to do with personnel as it is with his own form.
    Why couldn't Williams cover Wood? I'd have to back him to get more than 11 possessions, in fact he will take some of the kick ins like he did last year. He's a far better user of the football, he should be able to take more than one mark for the game and if he lays a tackle he's got him covered. Last year he averaged 20 disposals a game and often was pitted against taller opponents.

Are you sure he's played some good games and some par performances for us this year? I thought I might have been generous with saying he's 3 decent/good games. Collingwood, Richmond and at a stretch Gold Coast were decent/good performances the rest have been sub-par to me.

I've checked Footywire and his disposal numbers are steadily declining

2015 he was averaging 17.8 disposals
    2016 - 16.3
    2017 - 14.1
    2018 - 13.8
    2019 - 10.3

Given he won't be dropped the challenge for the MC is to get him more favorable match-ups each week.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see Williams in and given some time in the middle. I thought his cameo's there last year were good. His game in the twos today was just ok.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not 2015. Wood isn’t exactly an intercept marking beast any Morris .

I’d do Williams for Wood in a heartbeat. Bevo won’t . Can’t make the tough call. Hi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

I’d do Williams for Wood in a heartbeat. Bevo won’t . Can’t make the tough call. Hi
    I have said this a number of times, we are trying to play Wood in the wrong roles and it just ain't working
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Interesting that you mention Morris. What type of role do you think Wood would be playing if Morris was in the team? I'll give you a hint, not the Morris role that he's currently playing and isn't suited to.

When Wood was playing well he had Morris and two other KPD's playing alongside him and this freed him up substantially. He doesn't have that now and it shows in his limited role. The issue isn't replacing him, it's about bringing in personnel to complement and assist him which is something we haven't done over the last few years due to not having the personnel and injury.

17. Likes bornadog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why couldn't Williams cover Wood? I'd have to back him to get more than 11 possessions, in fact he will take some of the kick ins like he did last year. He's a far better user of the football, he should be able to take more than one mark for the game and if he lays a tackle he's got him covered. Last year he averaged 20 disposals a game and often was pitted against taller opponents.

Are you sure he's played some good games and some par performances for us this year? I thought I might have been generous with saying he's 3 decent/good games. Collingwood, Richmond and at a stretch Gold Coast were decent/good performances the rest have been sub-par to me.

I've checked Footywire and his disposal numbers are steadily declining

2015 he was averaging 17.8 disposals
    2016 - 16.3
    2017 - 14.1
    2018 - 13.8
    2019 - 10.3

Given he won't be dropped the challenge for the MC is to get him more favorable match-ups each week.
    If you think that Williams can play taller than he is and actually put the clamps on a forward then that's fine. I don't see it, and that's what he'd have to be doing if he replaced Wood.

Quoting stats backs up your point that he doesn't get it like he used to, but the stats also show the impact a change of role and personnel have had on his output. His role has changed because the personnel around him over the last couple of years has, he's having to play as a more frugal defender because there's nobody else to do it. That people can't actually see this kind of shocks me a little.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also need to be mindful of the impact Crozier's inclusion in the team and role has had on Wood's. Wood is now playing more of a stopping role, and Crozier is geared towards helping in the air.