Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  40
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R9 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have said this a number of times, we are trying to play Wood in the wrong roles and it just ain't working
    What are the 'wrong roles'? Yes he cops games against taller opponents from time to time but so does Cordy, Daniel and Crosier and they have adapted to that. Bevo likes to select shorter line ups so it's something players need to learn from.
    The problem for Wood is that his skill level, particularly his kicking, doesn't hurt opposition teams like it should
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If you think that Williams can play taller than he is and actually put the clamps on a forward then that's fine. I don't see it, and that's what he'd have to be doing if he replaced Wood.

Quoting stats backs up your point that he doesn't get it like he used to, but the stats also show the impact a change of role and personnel have had on his output. His role has changed because the personnel around him over the last couple of years has, he's having to play as a more frugal defender because there's nobody else to do it. That people can't actually see this kind of shocks me a little.
    Williams was often pitted against taller opponents last year and like Morris and Wood it should given them a distinct advantage when the ball is on the ground but that hasn't been quite the case for Easton. From the perspective of possession numbers his best game was against Collingwood where he did actually play against taller opponents and become a more than positive contributor.

I don't believe he is performing a different role this year than what he was doing last year and the year before that and I think it's a softer excuse but I'm not sure it's fact based to explain why a player has performed below expectation. Other players have to adapt to the challenges of of being pitted taller opponents etc and are expected to but when it comes to Wood there is a tendency to look for excuses.
    He was often pitted against mid sized opponents in the last 2 weeks which should have suited him but he hasn't got much of the ball and he has taken just 2 marks in those games.

I get that we have to play him but it doesn't change that he isn't performing like he needs to. Perhaps the 6 6 6 rule has proven a difficult one for him

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What are the 'wrong roles'? Yes he cops games against taller opponents from time to time but so does Cordy, Daniel and Crosier and they have adapted to that. Bevo likes to select shorter line ups so it's something players need to learn from.
    The problem for Wood is that his skill level, particularly his kicking, doesn't hurt opposition teams like it should
    It might be my imagination but a lot of players have been used in the wrong role.

week after week I see Wood being outmarked in packs by players who are 10+ cm taller (that is probably (15cm reach) .

I’m now seeing our giant defender (Cordy) wasting space in the ruck, leaving the backline depleted. Yesterday he had 2 hitouts (and I’m sure I saw him do a Dunkley at a centre bounce). Also I have seen him regularly outmarked by genuine talls every game.

When Naughton was up the ground our only tall forward was Gowers????

Gowers is not a key position forward, and the way he is being used is ridiculous. He should be running past the pack to gather the spills. That is how Geelong used equivalent players, like Ablett. He has never seen the middle of a pack.

Sorry, I keep forgetting. Nowadays all players can play in any position. In my opinion that simply guarantees that they usually fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    It might be my imagination but a lot of players have been used in the wrong role.

week after week I see Wood being outmarked in packs by players who are 10+ cm taller (that is probably (15cm reach) .

I’m now seeing our giant defender (Cordy) wasting space in the ruck, leaving the backline depleted. Yesterday he had 2 hitouts (and I’m sure I saw him do a Dunkley at a centre bounce). Also I have seen him regularly outmarked by genuine talls every game.

When Naughton was up the ground our only tall forward was Gowers????

Gowers is not a key position forward, and the way he is being used is ridiculous. He should be running past the pack to gather the spills. That is how Geelong used equivalent players, like Ablett. He has never seen the middle of a pack.

Sorry, I keep forgetting. Nowadays all players can play in any position. In my opinion that simply guarantees that they usually fail.
    Wood got out marked twice by Rohan early in the game and he is all of 2 cms taller than Wood. Wood didn't mark the ball at all yesterday. Last week against Brisbane he was mainly pitted against mid sized players and took just 2 marks and had just 8 disposals.
    There is plenty in what you are saying but I'm not sure it applies to Wood over the last 2 weeks.

I agree we are often selecting interesting sides from a match-up perspective but many people here thought we had the right balance of key position players and ruckmen so I think there was an acceptance that players, particularly the defenders, would need to adapt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wood got out marked twice by Rohan early in the game and he is all of 2 cms taller than Wood. Wood didn't mark the ball at all yesterday. Last week against Brisbane he was mainly pitted against mid sized players and took just 2 marks and had just 8 disposals.
    There is plenty in what you are saying but I'm not sure it applies to Wood over the last 2 weeks.

I agree we are often selecting interesting sides from a match-up perspective but many people here thought we had the right balance of key position players and ruckmen so I think there was an acceptance that players, particularly the defenders, would need to adapt.
    I have not seen the Dogs have any balance with regard to the ruck.

I like English and think he was a great draft pick. But he was thrown to the wolves without any support. He has been beaten regularly and over worked. People predicted his injury.

The second ruck role has led to the new term - doing a Dunkley. That means standing in the centre square and watching the opponent hit the ball to a runner and quick goal.

We don’t seem to have genuine key position players. The players are not adapting to those roles .

Fortunately the players have some talent and that is making them competitive. But victories have been limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Woods issue is Boyd (M) retired and Morris is injured.

His positioning and direction to others is poor. The one where he had his back to play and allowed Duncan a simple lead up who then goaled was testament to his lack of concentration.

He’s now the senior head in our back half and has been failing miserably

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I have not seen the Dogs have any balance with regard to the ruck.

I like English and think he was a great draft pick. But he was thrown to the wolves without any support. He has been beaten regularly and over worked. People predicted his injury.

The second ruck role has led to the new term - doing a Dunkley. That means standing in the centre square and watching the opponent hit the ball to a runner and quick goal.

We don’t seem to have genuine key position players. The players are not adapting to those roles .

Fortunately the players have some talent and that is making them competitive. But victories have been limited.
    How about Naughton to FF, Schache to CHF and Young to take a key back post? There's three of the four posts filled. Give them 8 weeks, reassess.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing the subject. If English and Williams had played we would have made things a lot harder for them. Also Lipinski. It's baffling that Lynch is AWOL. Is he injured? He showed a fair bit at end of '18.
    I'd like to make a point about Hunter and Wallis. Both have their faults but they have a lot of upside. I was very impressed with both of them.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

11. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    How about Naughton to FF, Schache to CHF and Young to take a key back post? There's three of the four posts filled. Give them 8 weeks, reassess.
    totally agree, but it is not happening. Also a genuine ruckman to help English. Liked Trengoves recent games and he has a role to play.