Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Three things I have learned Rnd 9 vs Geelong

Gee, its been a long time since we beat the cats at Kardinia Park.

Tell us three things you have learned today.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned Rnd 9 vs Geelong

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. We played against the most efficient scoring team in the league - 21.6
    2. The end score doesn’t represent the game over 4 quarters. Our midfield matched theirs and dominance seesawed until middle of 4th qtr
    3. Bailey smith again took another step up - still gets rid of the ball a little too quick sometimes, look forward to him burning blokes in the future

Post Thanks / Like

1. Against teams like Geel you have to kick every set shot.
    2. Stewart has joined my list of smug faces to want to punch
    3. Smith is doing great things early on.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

1. Until we address the skill deficiencies on our list, we will never compete with the big boys on the scoreboard. We give too many easy scores from turnovers, and we have to labour way to hard to score goals ourselves
    2. Anyone lamenting again why Fletcher Roberts is languishing in the two's, please refer to tonight. I'm not talking about the marks to Hawkins.. I'm talking about his fumbliness below his knees, his slowness covering ground, his decision making.
    3. Hayes. Did he have any positive contributions tonight? All I saw was fumbling, turnovers, dropped marks. I can't believe we used a pick in the national draft on him. He's a rookie pick at best given his flaws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    3. Hayes. Did he have any positive contributions tonight? All I saw was fumbling, turnovers, dropped marks. I can't believe we used a pick in the national draft on him. He's a rookie pick at best given his flaws.
    And we’re doubling down by playing him ahead of others who have actually shown potential arm AFL level. It’s insanity.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed the game so only insights learned from stats:

1. Smith keeps ticking over new career bests each week, in multiple fields. That tells me he's working on making an impact and raising expectations on himself to keep getting better.
    2. Hayes after his first two, unremarkable games, has not recorded a new career best in any field in the last three weeks (except 4 tackles last week). When you start your career at 'zero' and just tick it over in two games, and then the last three games not record career bests you can make a credible argument that, remarkably, he's plateaued at game 2. Smith finds new ways to do it every week, something most new players are able to do because they're coming off a zero base. But Hayes is the first player since I've been updating the 'career best thread' to do this so obviously. If he's not getting better from week to week, then perhaps he could have a long run in the VFL.
    3. It's hard reading how well guys are playing in the VFL, week after week.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was going to put that I learnt Hayes isn’t up to it... but I learnt that 7 weeks ago.

10. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And we’re doubling down by playing him ahead of others who have actually shown potential arm AFL level. It’s insanity.
    It's incredibly baffling.

I didn't rate him in the VFL and was very disappointed we drafted him. I simply cannot fathom we are now PLAYING him ahead of much better and much more talented footballers.

How is it we can drop Schache (fair enough), Young (WTF?) yet justify playing Hayes and Lachlan Young? They must show a whole lot at training....

Lipinski and Dale should have been in the side a few weeks ago. It's the dumbest selection choice by any MC I have ever seen week after week.

12. Likes 1eyedog, DOG GOD, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Mate at the game reckons he’s never seen so many adults wearing footy jumpers ! My God
    2. Hayes and Gowers aren’t good enough, and Roberts is cooked
    3. Tim English is a big out

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. A distinct difference in class was apparent, we scrap for most of our goals whereas Geelong are clinical with their ball use and finishing skills.
    2. Class, this leads me to Gowers and Hayes, I'm sorry Bevo but they DON'T HAVE ANY. Gowers refuses to hit up at the ball carrier and continually plays from behind looking for the cheapie, gives away too many ridiculous free kicks and more often than not applies zero defensive pressure to lock the ball in our forward 50, ONE tackle again yesterday to go with ONE mark. Schache or Dale could fill this role.
    Hayes is what I would call a double grabber and brings pressure on himself with his failure to control the ball early and give him time to assess options upfield and just an average kick, surely Lipinski or Williams would add more.
    3. I think we won the clearance numbers but it was infuriating that when Geelong got on a roll we quite often allowed them free ball into their forward fifty area with little or no defensive cover away from the middle meaning far too much time and space was allowed to their taller forwards with our back six unfairly exposed.

16. Likes GVGjr, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith is improving with every game.
    The Bont's 2 goals underlined that he can do what few players can.
    Stewart joins the Warren Tredrea club of smug arseholes.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We had 40 more disposals, more clearances, more centre clearances but just can't use the ball.

2. Geelong had 17 marks inside 50 - there is the ball game.

3. We need English back in and we need Schache to find form
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. We had 40 more disposals, more clearances, more centre clearances but just can't use the ball.

2. Geelong had 17 marks inside 50 - there is the ball game.

3. We need English back in and we need Schache to find form
    I suspect that most of the extra disposals were handball. Geelong got a lot of early goals from our handball game. Some 40 metre precision kicking would make a nice change. It would open up the game and players would know where to run.

Post Thanks / Like

1/ Smith is such an exciting when he runs with the ball, too often he looks to handball off straight away, but in the 2nd half he decided to run.. and it was great to watch. He gives us such a POD in the middle.

2/ Having McLean more around the ball is a good thing, he runs the angles as well as anyone in our team.

3/ Before the game I could've written down who our bottom 6 players would've been and probably got them in order. The hallmark of our 2016 was our evenness across the board and that we would just 'out last' teams... we are along way off this at the minute.

4/ We continue to give away goals with 30m chip kicks in dangeous spots, Caleb is good for 1-2 a game. We work so hard for goals, but give them up so easily.

21. Likes Happy Days, azabob liked this post