Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: War chest.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: War chest.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've had a quick look at some of the playing lists and I think we will struggle to get a big name unless we throw big bucks at someone and even then it might still be a wasted endeavor
    I think we do have just enough quality players so perhaps a better strategy is to look at either younger players interstate or more role players who are struggling to get games. They would be more likely to look at coming to us.

Would someone like Josh Jenkins be worth a look at? He's got some faults but he can kick goals and provide a decent support ruckman.
    Someone mentioned Dougal Howard from Port as well and he might be worth a look at given he could play forward or back
    Could we make a play for Darcy Tucker from Fremantle who could add to our midfield depth?

Players like Lloyd, Trengove and Crozier have added something positive to the side and while they aren't star players I think it highlights you can bring in some quality additions that add some value to the group.

It would be great to land a truly great player but we can also look a variety of other players who can improve our playing list.
    Perhaps we could develop some indig talent, and invest in strengthening that pathway. Certainly requires a lot of money and effort.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I guess he’d been moved onto Reid then when I was watching.

Post Thanks / Like

Contract issues aside I would be looking at Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich, Tim Kelly, Alex Keath and Daniel McStay. A no to Whitfield and Papley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've had a quick look at some of the playing lists and I think we will struggle to get a big name unless we throw big bucks at someone and even then it might still be a wasted endeavor
    I think we do have just enough quality players so perhaps a better strategy is to look at either younger players interstate or more role players who are struggling to get games. They would be more likely to look at coming to us.

Would someone like Josh Jenkins be worth a look at? He's got some faults but he can kick goals and provide a decent support ruckman.
    Someone mentioned Dougal Howard from Port as well and he might be worth a look at given he could play forward or back
    Could we make a play for Darcy Tucker from Fremantle who could add to our midfield depth?

Players like Lloyd, Trengove and Crozier have added something positive to the side and while they aren't star players I think it highlights you can bring in some quality additions that add some value to the group.

It would be great to land a truly great player but we can also look a variety of other players who can improve our playing list.
    Howard's really highly rated by Port, he'd be a difficult one to extract. I wonder whether Clurey might be more gettable? Victorian boy and a pretty decent stopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Limiting the focus to guys out of contract, I really think Alex Keath is the one. He's going to be far more gettable than the Port guys (Clurey is a vice captain and contracted until 2023 (!!!) and as lem said Howard is very highly thought of) and perhaps still has a bit of stigma about his late entry to the league around him. Tomlinson is also worth a shout but he's only one year younger than Keath, who is looking a far better player.

Otherwise I think the need for a second forward is obvious, if for no other reason than to stop Bevo from playing Bont there. I'm pretty partial to a mid-sizer rather than an out-and-out KPF so I'd look at narrowing our focus to Billings and Keays from Brisbane. Billings is obviously a better player but would cost far more in terms of dollars and assets, whereas I'm pretty sure any serious offer would net us Keays; he's kicking a minimum of 3 goals a week in the NEAFL (I know) but can't seem to crack it ahead of Lincoln McCarthy for what I assume must be Lachie Neale-related reasons.

If we do decide on a KPF then Larkey from North is who I'd look at the longest. Struggles to get consistently involved but has pretty good hands, can ruck a little bit and is a total dead-eye.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of lesser lights who might be worth a crack - what about Josh Bruce? Proven goal kicker and mature body that would help out Naughton. He is contracted to the end of 2020 though.

Max King has looked brilliant in his first few VFL games, hard for the Saints to play them both in the same forward line along with Membrey, so they may be willing to chat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Speaking of lesser lights who might be worth a crack - what about Josh Bruce? Proven goal kicker and mature body that would help out Naughton. He is contracted to the end of 2020 though.

Max King has looked brilliant in his first few VFL games, hard for the Saints to play them both in the same forward line along with Membrey, so they may be willing to chat.
    With doubts on McCartin's health I think Bruce would be off limits as a trade. Come the end of 2020 things will be a lot clearer for them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"