Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: War chest.

Post Thanks / Like

War chest.

Ok..so we have a war chest. What will we do with our war chest.
    How should we best use the war chest.

What Machiavellian schemes can we come up with to manipulate the war chest in the best possible way.

You've probably guessed by now, but I just love saying (typing) war chest.

In my opinion we need 3 things.

1. Dynamic, fast, elusive, high flying small forward who will apply defensive pressure relentlessly. AND KICK GOALS!!!

The blueprint for me is Liam Ryan. I doubt he'd leave W.A. and I'm not suggesting he's the actual player to chase, but he's the type.
    Makes me wonder why we'd go for Will Hayes in the draft and ignore Sydney Stack........Anyway.......everyone else ignored him too so I'm not pointing fingers. Our forward line is too vanilla and static right now. Maybe Toby Maclean could be the guy but he's not playing that way atm.

2. Tall Mobile defender. Seems last year we had TOO MANY tall defenders, and we did, too many bulky lumbering types. But with Naughton going forward, and Trengove being our only seasoned ruck back up, and Lewis Young not really being considered ready. We have a hole there to fill immediately. Tomlinson is the one everyones talking about. Maybe he's the guy.......... Whoever it is has to be fast, tall and disciplined with a good leap. Darcy Moore?

3. Ruck/ drifting forward cover. Someone who can help out English when he's fit, to release Trengove to the backline. And also help Trengove in the ruck when Tim English is injured or just needs to give his young body a break. The type I'm thinking of is Rory Lobb. I know we won't be able to get him but he's the TYPE we need.

So........let's put on our thinking caps and see who we might be able to pluck from other teams.

Here's another challenge. Can any devious minds out there come up with a legitimate way to turn cash into draft picks?

Get to work my pets.........mwahahah......

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: War chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Here's another challenge. Can any devious minds out there come up with a legitimate way to turn cash into draft picks?
    Continuing to pay the salary of a player currently under contract with us after trading him to another club, in order to secure a higher draft pick in return than would otherwise be the case
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't get concerned about turning money into picks. We could take Buddy & his choking contract for a good pick. But no,

So far in the media/journo's tweets our name has been linked to Langdon (mid, Freo) & Tomlinson (KPD, GWS).

Some posters have indicated they've heard a Carlton KPD rumour. Maybe Weitering, or not.

The replacement for Boyd could be Peter Wright, who still hasn't signed a new contract. Not a great second ruck, but the right size and agile. Jack Martin I think is still uncontracted.

I'd pursue Ben King and see what happens with GCS. Probably told no, but I've explained the left field thinking in another thread.

If we went hard at Cogs, a poster mentioned we could afford to allow Bonts to spend time forward. Interesting thought.

Not sure of the small forwards, or high half forwards (to replace Stringer & Crameri as MJP suggests) to name. Sydney need to rebuild quickly, so perhaps we can get a good one there.

We have lots of options. I'd be prepared to put up our first rounder and if we flipped two third rounders into a second (draft points trade), maybe that too. Although pick 6-9 could get a nice medium/small forward. Losing likely Picken, Boyd, Morris & Dickson leaves a gap in experience and I don't think we can just draft this year. We need some ready made players to help our list.

Still gotta sign Dunkley, Williams & Young at a minimum too. Although I'm getting concerned with Williams.

Lots of options for Sam Power, and he's really going to earn his money by making the right decision.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

One podcast said we should chase Walla from the Bombers, but his cousin is likely to get picked up at the mid-season draft and might be a cheaper, easily available option. Small forwards can be found at state league level, especially WA for some reason. Even the best of his generation (Betts) was a PSD pick after missing out on the draft.

I'll mention Sam Day again as Gold Coast have an excess of talls.

I'll also mention Conor Ballendon - tall, aggressive, can play second ruck and more mobile then 2MP. Plus with Brissie's talls and academy picks he seems remotely gettable and we did bid on him previously during the draft so we have a known interest. On top of all this, I imagine he's cheaper than 2MP who has the same 'hard' hands Boyd had.

Chasing Tomlinson is great, he'd be wonderful for us but I really don't see him leaving GWS. I like the idea of chasing a medium tall (who would have been a genuine KPD only a generation ago).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Still gotta sign Dunkley, Williams & Young at a minimum too. Although I'm getting concerned with Williams.
    He's not a free agent. Is he going to walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft? What are his options??

Pretty simple - we aren't trading you. You can have this contract on the minimum for one year or you can have this delicious contract for three years...I don't think this one is all that hard...we either rate him or we don't and if we do it is not going to be easy for him to get back to Adelaide.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One podcast said we should chase Walla from the Bombers, but his cousin is likely to get picked up at the mid-season draft and might be a cheaper, easily available option. Small forwards can be found at state league level, especially WA for some reason. Even the best of his generation (Betts) was a PSD pick after missing out on the draft.

I'll mention Sam Day again as Gold Coast have an excess of talls.

I'll also mention Conor Ballendon - tall, aggressive, can play second ruck and more mobile then 2MP. Plus with Brissie's talls and academy picks he seems remotely gettable and we did bid on him previously during the draft so we have a known interest. On top of all this, I imagine he's cheaper than 2MP who has the same 'hard' hands Boyd had.

Chasing Tomlinson is great, he'd be wonderful for us but I really don't see him leaving GWS. I like the idea of chasing a medium tall (who would have been a genuine KPD only a generation ago).
    I agree that Tomlinson appears to be a long shot. There is plenty to play out and we will be linked to at least 20 players if their managers are doing the right thing by them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree that Tomlinson appears to be a long shot. There is plenty to play out and we will be linked to at least 20 players if their managers are doing the right thing by them
    I'd imagine around July we get rumours about a fringe type we're linked with (e.g. Lloyd last year, Crozier the year before).

Then there's the left-field link late in the piece we don't expect (Duryea, and Hamling had a lot of us asking "who?")

And of course the big fish we often miss out on - Wingard, Hurley and I'd expect Tomlinson.

Post Thanks / Like

The way smaller clubs are treated by the AFL, ie lack of Friday nights, MCG games, blockbusters etc, no wonder the marque players don't want to come to us. If you were a top player and were offered to play at the MCG 14 times a year in front of huge crowds, what would you do?

We need to work hard and convince these players we are a premiership threat and you will be playing finals. What else can we convince them with? North has shown it is not just money. They threw big dollars at some top players, and they all turned it down.

Maybe we need to target a young player with potential, like a Boyd and offer them the dollars.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He's not a free agent. Is he going to walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft? What are his options??

Pretty simple - we aren't trading you. You can have this contract on the minimum for one year or you can have this delicious contract for three years...I don't think this one is all that hard...we either rate him or we don't and if we do it is not going to be easy for him to get back to Adelaide.
    I understand that. I'm concerned about his progression last year, and has apparently gone 180 degrees this year. I'd like to know what's happening in his world. He's playing VFL and without a contract next year. Im concerned about what this means for him, what's happening with him (& his thinking) and him staying at the club. I'm not losing sleep, but as I said, I'm starting to get concerned.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Discussion here on Bulldogs War Chest.

One suggestion is go for Anthony Tippa as a small pressure forward and another suggestion is Patton (and would be cheap)

Why not go for both.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to go after:

Harris Andrews
    Alex Sexton
    Aliir Aliir
    Jacob Weitering
    Nick Vlastuin
    Dougal Howard

These are all guys I think could slot in but we would not have to sell the farm for.

13. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    I'd love to go after:

Harris Andrews
    Alex Sexton
    Aliir Aliir
    Jacob Weitering
    Nick Vlastuin
    Dougal Howard

These are all guys I think could slot in but we would not have to sell the farm for.
    A lot of these guys are contracted long term. Sexton re-signed only a month ago.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he's only just signed a new contract, but I would like to go after Lachie Whitfield. Exceptional footy smarts and has elite run and carry. As contracts mean nothing any more (hello Marcus Adams ... talking to you champ) I think we should aggressively go after Lachie.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble getting Tippa would be Dodo
    They’d want three first rounders and the Bont
    That’s just the starting price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Discussion here on Bulldogs War Chest.

One suggestion is go for Anthony Tippa as a small pressure forward and another suggestion is Patton (and would be cheap)

Why not go for both.
    Patton after all his ACLs has less lateral movement than Jack Redpath, I don't think he's the type of player we look at.

The rumour mill weeks ago had him going to Hawthorn for very little as another salary dump as he's on very decent coin.

Here's a 'second chance' option. Webb has been linked to Hawthorn in the past, and if we can't lure Keath or Sam Day or any Carlton tall... Shoenmakers as a defender?
    Bevo/Suckling/Duryea link from Hawthorn days, would provide a few years of service while a draftee develops, would cost next to nothing and as much as I like Fletch Shoey would be an upgrade.