Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Footy Show

Post Thanks / Like

The Footy Show

I see Sam Newman has been asked to take a break from the show and it has been attributed to his health.

Obviously I hope it is not too serious for him but it never ceases to amaze me how that show can consistently leak a big news story late on a Wednesday with the story to be told on their show on the Thursday night.

They have for years been the master of manipulation of the football agenda which is probably why they rate so highly. I rarely watch it because I don't rate the quality of the show at all but they do know how to generate interest.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Footy Show

Newman dragged off air by Nine

CHANNEL Nine has forced Sam Newman to take a break from television after the furore over his treatment of women on The Footy Show.Newman has also been told to attend counselling for his recent behaviour, which included manhandling a lingerie-clad mannequin he dressed as The Age's chief football writer, Caroline Wilson.

His behaviour prompted a group of the AFL's most influential women to complain to Nine boss David Gyngell and call for the cast of The Footy Show to receive counselling.

Newman responded by calling the women "liars and hypocrites" and saying that women "served very little purpose" in football.

One of the signatories of the letter to Gyngell, Western Bulldogs board member Susan Alberti, is suing Nine, Newman and the show's co-host Garry Lyon for defamation over the remarks.

The Age last week revealed that ANZ had redirected its advertising on Nine away from the show. It also reported that ratings had plummeted since the mannequin stunt.

Last week's show was watched by 380,000 people, a drop of 15% since March 27, the week before the stunt, when an average of 457,000 people tuned in.

In addition to the ANZ, one of the show's sponsors, Crazy John's mobile phone company, expressed disquiet about the show's treatment of women. "They are under no illusions as to how we feel," said Crazy John's managing director Brendan Fleiter.

Nine executive director Jeff Browne told the Herald Sun that Nine should not have allowed Newman to return to television so soon after prostate surgery. He also broke an ankle while lifting weights earlier this month.

"In order to allow Sam to return to full health without the stress of having to perform on live television each week, I have directed him to take a break from The Footy Show," he said.

"As a component of this rehabilitation, I have arranged for Sam to undergo counselling to address, with professional assistance, the behaviour and issues that have attended what I now believe to be his premature return to the program."

Lyon apologised to Wilson for the stunt, but paid tribute to Newman at the Logies award ceremony for his capacity to create controversy and draw ratings. Lyon hung up when contacted by The Age last night.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably watch it tonight now (despite Garry Lyon still hosting, can't stand him).

A few years ago they were getting ratings of 850,000. It just goes to show how far it's slumped.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no concern for Newman's health. This is purely a commercial decision. After the ANZ withdrew it's financial support because of Newman's so called "offensive" behaviour, the executives at Bendigo St have started to get a bit nervous and have kow towed to commercial pressures.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, TFS is trash now. They offer very little of substance. TSFS is much better imo, still a few gags and whatever but they actually offer some kind of analysis of the game which is always what I'm more interested in, rather than self serving drivel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    There is no concern for Newman's health. This is purely a commercial decision. After the ANZ withdrew it's financial support because of Newman's so called "offensive" behaviour, the executives at Bendigo St have started to get a bit nervous and have kow towed to commercial pressures.
    ANZ didn't worry them, but potentially loosing the big sponsors did. (ANZ was only for QLD)

I watch it. Some weeks are better than others. It's just a bit of fun with the odd issue being raised. Footy analysis comes from other places.

Will be annoyed if they sack Sammy just for groping a mannequin.

Post Thanks / Like

The Footy Show is a self-important soap opera. Yawn.
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Ill watch but it will be less entertaining..

Sam dressing up as Nicky Winmar was such much worse than a couple sexist comments..

Caro is a shallow b*tch anyway who cant give it but cant take it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Caroline Wilson is a very good journalist in my view, despite her obvious Richmond leanings.

I was appalled on her hatchet job on Ben Holland, but more often than not, she is right on the mark, particularly with what's happening off field.

Post Thanks / Like

It is great to hear that he wont be on te footy show for a while, hopefully it might become a show that is wachable for atleast a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Caroline Wilson is a very good journalist in my view, despite her obvious Richmond leanings.

I was appalled on her hatchet job on Ben Holland, but more often than not, she is right on the mark, particularly with what's happening off field.
    If Ben Holland was sueing any other club her article would have been completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Ill watch but it will be less entertaining..

Sam dressing up as Nicky Winmar was such much worse than a couple sexist comments..

Sam's dressup of Nicky Winmar was no worse than him putting on a curly wig pretending to be Tony Liberatore and was harmless fun. Winmar got the piss taken out of him exactly like Sam has done to 100 other players over the years - and the fact that Sam treated him no differently because of his skin colour is to Sam's credit.

The Caroline Wilson bit was crass and insulting - not to all women but it was to Caro. I cringed and turned it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it was the sponsors that changed the minds of the guys in charge. As much as people pay out on Caro and the girls for getting Sam axed the problem was really the sponsors.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes it was the sponsors that changed the minds of the guys in charge. As much as people pay out on Caro and the girls for getting Sam axed the problem was really the sponsors.
    But if that women of football alliance thing hadn't been started then the sponsors would have no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Definately a commecial decision - reported in the paper last week that ratings were down 15% since Newman's first stunt.

I prefer Billy Brownless anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    But if that women of football alliance thing hadn't been started then the sponsors would have no problem.
    And if Sam hadn't behaved in the manner he did....well you know what I mean.