Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: War chest.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: War chest.

Somehow I think the days of Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton and two meter Peter are over.

The huge monster forward just doesn't seem to work in todays footy. Aside from Tom Hawkins. Maybe he just gets better delivery (and home town umpiring)

Their bodies can't seem to hold up. They're too easy to counter attack against..........and let's face it. None of these guys are Plugger. I would still take Plugger in a heartbeat.

I certainly wouldn't be dumping the war chest on either Patton (carrying a truckload of injuries, and yet to really have a solid stretch of dominating performances) or Peter Wright (still unproven).

Maybe there's a a kind of mythical fascination with the huge superhuman forward. It stems perhaps from plays and movies like 'And the big men fly'
    and 'The Club'. This idea that there's some undiscovered kid out there on a farm somewhere that you can get for a couple of new shirts, that is a god. Almost like the Loch Ness monster or the Yeti. I think it's a myth that we have all held on to deep in our psyches. It's hard to let go of. It really is.

Jeremy Cameron, Jack Riewoldt, Joe Daniher............ these guys aren't hulking brutish monsters. They are lean and agile with spring and pace.

If we can get someone like those guys...........for sure... But I wouldn't be throwing the war chest at a huge lumbering forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Somehow I think the days of Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton and two meter Peter are over.

The huge monster forward just doesn't seem to work in todays footy. Aside from Tom Hawkins. Maybe he just gets better delivery (and home town umpiring)

Their bodies can't seem to hold up. They're too easy to counter attack against..........and let's face it. None of these guys are Plugger. I would still take Plugger in a heartbeat.

I certainly wouldn't be dumping the war chest on either Patton (carrying a truckload of injuries, and yet to really have a solid stretch of dominating performances) or Peter Wright (still unproven).

Maybe there's a a kind of mythical fascination with the huge superhuman forward. It stems perhaps from plays and movies like 'And the big men fly'
    and 'The Club'. This idea that there's some undiscovered kid out there on a farm somewhere that you can get for a couple of new shirts, that is a god. Almost like the Loch Ness monster or the Yeti. I think it's a myth that we have all held on to deep in our psyches. It's hard to let go of. It really is.

Jeremy Cameron, Jack Riewoldt, Joe Daniher............ these guys aren't hulking brutish monsters. They are lean and agile with spring and pace.

If we can get someone like those guys...........for sure... But I wouldn't be throwing the war chest at a huge lumbering forward
    Totally agree. We should target a Fyfe/Dangerfield type.

Remember the last time we spent a huge amount of cash one a guy from the GWS it won us a flag

I happy yo to do get again
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Papleys out of contract this year, I'd have a crack. Good skills, kicks goals. Sydney in a rebuild looking to offload he'd be gettable.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd throw everything at Jordan De Goey if he doesn't resign soon
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

5. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think Papleys out of contract this year, I'd have a crack. Good skills, kicks goals. Sydney in a rebuild looking to offload he'd be gettable.
    Yep, he suits our needs to the ground. He's actually a lot younger than I thought.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Papley is interesting. He starts in #41 and wears it for 3 years. Then Jeremy Laidlaw retires and Papley claims the #11 that his granddad Max (Interestingly both his grandfathers were teammates at South between 1964 and 1966) wore but goes back to #41 this year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

So, when we say 'Fyfe/Dangerfield type', what exactly do we mean? 'cos those two are like 2 of the best 3 players in the comp and I don't think they are gettable. De Goey isn't gettable - the time and effort spent to get him another $100K per year from Collingwood would be better spent looking at players who we COULD actually get.

Brisbane (somehow) identified that SA native Lachie Neale was open to moving from WA to Queensland. How did they do that? No idea...but that is the kind of player we need to target - an excellent footballer who is living life in the shadow of a superstar (in this case Fyfe) and therefore is not maybe receiving the appreciation he deserves.

Who fits into that category?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Can you think of anyone? I guess we need to work out what type of player do we want? Mid, KPP, etc.

I would love to chase Essendon's Tippa. He is not a superstar, but is a good pressure forward who also kicks goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I like Papley - was promoted into their leadership group this year so not sure if that's a good sign they'd be keen to release.

Sydney can turn things around pretty quickly too I reckon.

We'd be mad not to ask the question though.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

So, when we say 'Fyfe/Dangerfield type', what exactly do we mean? 'cos those two are like 2 of the best 3 players in the comp and I don't think they are gettable. De Goey isn't gettable - the time and effort spent to get him another $100K per year from Collingwood would be better spent looking at players who we COULD actually get.

Brisbane (somehow) identified that SA native Lachie Neale was open to moving from WA to Queensland. How did they do that? No idea...but that is the kind of player we need to target - an excellent footballer who is living life in the shadow of a superstar (in this case Fyfe) and therefore is not maybe receiving the appreciation he deserves.

Or like say Tom Mitchell back at Sydney?

How about Mitch Duncan? Geelong want to keep the Kelly, Danger, Selwood Ablett train going. Is there a chance Mitch could be gettable?

Was mentioned in the Caleb article for his superior use of the ball which is something we need more of.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheaper option also from Sydney might be Ben Ronke?

Would anyone be keen on Jack Higgins? Believe we would've picked him if Ed Richards had been taken.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Alex Keath for me.

Mature body but significant upside given his late start to football, in Talia's shadow (and Doedee's after his excellent year) and Adelaide have a knack for finding tall backman from nowhere after losing quite a few in recent years (Lever, and losing a manbun to GWS).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Cheaper option also from Sydney might be Ben Ronke?

Would anyone be keen on Jack Higgins? Believe we would've picked him if Ed Richards had been taken.
    Higgins is contracted and has cult hero written all over him, I doubt Richmond let him go. I liked Shai Bolten as a potentially gettable option but he signed too.

Ballenden from Brissie is another I think we could work on, could develop as a genuine no 2 KPF who chops out in the ruck. Raw but moves well for his size and has genuine aggression.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

GWS has an assortment of second fiddle mids to the alpha dogs in Coniglio & Kelly.

Not sure of their contract status but Hopper, Taranto, Whitfield would all be worthy additions to our midfield.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking along those lines, there are a couple of options I see and like, some I have mentioned before:

Nick Vlastuin
    Jarrod Berry
    Harris Andrews
    Connor Blakely
    Darcy Gardiner
    James Harmes
    Blake Acres

Varying degrees of skill levels and overall worth but I feel like most would be interested if we came knocking with a good offer (Andrews likely the hardest to move).

Mostly versatile types which fits exactly with what Bevo seems to like.

I'd also like us to get into the ear of Mason Wood from Norf with a fair offer as I think he is one that could definitely benefit from a change of scenery.