Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  45
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Senior Assist Coach Options

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Monty left suddenly and didn't even wait for the finals. I can only surmise there were issues between him and the other coaches.
    Didn't he leave because he wanted to pursue senior coaching options and it was thought it would be a distraction for him to stay? Or is that just the official version?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Goetz
    That was 2016.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Didn't he leave because he wanted to pursue senior coaching options and it was thought it would be a distraction for him to stay? Or is that just the official version?
    That may be true, but don't you think he would stay for the finals then leave?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Monty left suddenly and didn't even wait for the finals. I can only surmise there were issues between him and the other coaches.
    It's an interesting observation if correct. In the year we won the flag there was apparently some friction among the coaches as you suggest but the following two years we lacked a bit of discipline withing the playing group.
    Perhaps sometimes challenging the status quo can be a positive.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That was 2016.
    Thanks, got it wrong. From memory it was Monty that called him out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Not sure about that.

Agree in the stoppages and center bounces he’d have been a better physical match up but I thought English did well over the course of the day in the hit outs - plus added more around the ground. Trengove I don’t think would have produced anything outside of those ball ups as a ruck and their backs were just too mobile for him.
    Forget hit outs and work around the ground I'm talking about repeat stoppages. English was ineffective in a contested sutuation at the stoppage and that's where we were killed. JT is miles better at throwing his weight around and protecting his mids / making opposition clearances a more difficult prospect.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we needed harder bodies at the contest and unfortunately we didn't play JT because we underestimated GWS pressure. Obviously Dicko, Wally and Libby are all injured.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually would have liked to have played English forward and JT in the ruck as soon as we realised we were getting smashed there (midway thought the first?) Unfortunately we just didn't have that option.

As soon as English went forward we started to turn the tide. We just needed JT in there rather than relying on our mids in the ruck.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few posters think we are lacking that harder edge within our assistant coaching ranks. I also agree with this assessment.

A Yang to Bevo's Yin if you like. This role has been missing since Montgomery departed.

Now the option I am about to suggest will be a very very very unpopular suggestion but I figure i'll suggest it anyway.

Brendan Goddard has been out of the game for one year. I listen to him on RSN radio a couple of times a week and on ABC radio. For the first few weeks I didn't like him mainly because of his on field antics.
    However once I put my biases aside I am very impressed with his analysis and understanding of today's game, he also is a student of the game.

Clearly he is a driven individual and demands 100% of his teammates / players -However he probably needs to work on how he delivers his messages.

Now I have no idea if he wants to head down the assistant coaching path but for mine he'd be well worth a conversation with.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the suggestion Aza but even if Goddard is on a coaching path I think it's more about having a strong 2IC alongside of Bevo

I was told a few weeks back to expect 2 changes to our coaching team but nothing has eventuated so far.

I think Goddard has some very good credentials to be an assistant coach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A few posters think we are lacking that harder edge within our assistant coaching ranks. I also agree with this assessment.

A Yang to Bevo's Yin if you like. This role has been missing since Montgomery departed.

Now the option I am about to suggest will be a very very very unpopular suggestion but I figure i'll suggest it anyway.

Brendan Goddard has been out of the game for one year. I listen to him on RSN radio a couple of times a week and on ABC radio. For the first few weeks I didn't like him mainly because of his on field antics.
    However once I put my biases aside I am very impressed with his analysis and understanding of today's game, he also is a student of the game.

Clearly he is a driven individual and demands 100% of his teammates / players -However he probably needs to work on how he delivers his messages.

Now I have no idea if he wants to head down the assistant coaching path but for mine he'd be well worth a conversation with.
    Goddard is very good on ABC Grandstand I too was surprised how good has been considering he wasn't a favorite on the field.

Would make an excellent assistant as make a lot of sense.

14. Likes azabob, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge – senior coach
    Steven King – senior assistant coach (opposition, training and strategy)
    Rohan Smith – assistant coach (defensive systems and backs)
    Jordan Russell – assistant coach (midfield)
    Joel Corey – assistant coach (stoppages and set plays)
    Ash Hansen – assistant coach (offensive systems and forwards)
    Daniel Giansiracusa – VFL head coach
    Jamie Maddocks – development manager
    Dale Morris – development coach

Post Thanks / Like

Being reported Steven King has taken the Gold Coast senior assistant coaching job.

Post Thanks / Like

Being reported Steven King has taken the Gold Coast senior coaching job.
    Replacing Dew?

Post Thanks / Like

Being reported Steven King has taken the Gold Coast senior coaching job.
    Best we find a new good senior assistant. On the face of it, I like Sanderson.

Hopefully he leaves as a two time assistant with us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Replacing Dew?
    Sorry mate. No. Edited

20. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post