Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Senior Assist Coach Options

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Both Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross are outstanding individuals who are highly regarded at both Collingwood and Melbourne respectively. They wouldn’t tolerate the mediocrity that we have served up over the past three years. I take your point of looking outside the Club but the WB has its own unique qualities and the two mentioned are first class people who would do wonders for our Club
    Crossy is under the pump at Melbourne. Wouldn't be surprised if he became available at seasons end.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a few attributes from an incoming senior assistant
    1) IP from a successful club would be ideal
    2) A contrast to way players are treated by Bevo, a firmer approach
    3) Someone who will challenge Bevo and the other coaches in a productive manner
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agree , especially point #3
    Someone needs to challenge our deficiencies and sort it out.
    Our kicking is hopelesss and mental focus to stay switched on for 100% game time , yes that includes at the start .

Also need a coach to tell the sports scientist to f@$&& off with their hocus pocus.
    Put some mongrel and hungry back into our team and to bleed rwb

5. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd absolutely look at Brad Scott and hope that we're one of the clubs in his ear.

He hasn't had premiership success but he would bring a hard edge to the coaching lineup, would challenge Bevo and has a huge amount of experience as a head coach.

I get why supporters don't like him, but if we don't think someone with his resume and experience can help our coaching group, then we're really overrating our current crop

7. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are some of the qualities we are looking for in a senior assistant coach that's going to make a difference?
    We really need somebody prepared to stand up to Bevo and challenge his 'good ideas'. From what I can see we have never replaced Montgomery in that position.
    I don't necessarily think that all left field ideas are bad-we just need to tease them out a bit is all.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    We desperately need some mental toughness IMO.
    I would be looking to bring both Boyd and Cross at the expense of Gia and Rohan Smith. Three years in the wilderness is long enough.
    The losses to Carlton Gold Coast Suns and now North Melbourne is inexcusable. I would also look to replace Steven King and bring in an experienced ruck Coach who is able to teach both English and Lew Young the art of ruck work. We were thrashed in the ruck today with a BOG performance by Goldstein. There is also a need for a running Coach. Our team is too slow leading to handball invariably as the first option rather than kicking the ball. I also think Chris Grant’s role as Director of Coaching should be under review.
    Do we actually know how Cross and Boyd are rated as coaches? What do we actually know about Gia and Smith as coaches?

Are we judging coaching careers on how players played? I loved Gia as a player, sure he had some defensive deficiencies but he was unbelievable in traffic, was super smart with and without the football and seemed to be a well respected communicator within the group. For some reason he seems to have been singled out as a coach we need to move on over time, but in honesty I don't know why.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes GVGjr, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I'd absolutely look at Brad Scott and hope that we're one of the clubs in his ear.

He hasn't had premiership success but he would bring a hard edge to the coaching lineup, would challenge Bevo and has a huge amount of experience as a head coach.

I get why supporters don't like him, but if we don't think someone with his resume and experience can help our coaching group, then we're really overrating our current crop
    I have never liked the Scott brothers, but, I've always thought Brad was the better coach given the shocking and vanilla playing lists he's had to work with over the journey and the middling success he's had.

If he was available for a senior assistant or directorial role in the background I'd seriously consider him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Do we actually know how Cross and Boyd are rated as coaches? What do we actually know about Gia and Smith as coaches?

Are we judging coaching careers on how players played? I loved Gia as a player, sure he had some defensive deficiencies but he was unbelievable in traffic, was super smart with and without the football and seemed to be a well respected communicator within the group. For some reason he seems to have been singled out as a coach we need to move on over time, but in honesty I don't know why.
    Going pretty well as a coach of the VFL team
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

I would guess he would be looking for another senior role

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would guess he would be looking for another senior role
    Agree I think we would have more of a chance of getting Bolton or Richardson if either or both loses their job.

Post Thanks / Like

Going pretty well as a coach of the VFL team
    Seems to be doing OK, will be interesting to see how the VFL team performs if injury thins out the playing stocks.

What does Cross actually do at Melbourne? Last year he was the runner and development and rehabilitation coach, a role pretty difficult to gauge effectiveness within from my perspective. Melbourne seem to be less effective than they were last year, not sure how their younger players are going and whether they have much coming through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Seems to be doing OK, will be interesting to see how the VFL team performs if injury thins out the playing stocks.

What does Cross actually do at Melbourne? Last year he was the runner and development and rehabilitation coach, a role pretty difficult to gauge effectiveness within from my perspective. Melbourne seem to be less effective than they were last year, not sure how their younger players are going and whether they have much coming through.
    Looking on the Melbourne site under coaches, Crossy is not even listed, so maybe he is still a runner?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking on the Melbourne site under coaches, Crossy is not even listed, so maybe he is still a runner?
    Isn't he a part time development and rehabilitation coach? I'm sure I've seen him at games this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't he a part time development and rehabilitation coach? I'm sure I've seen him at games this year
    Maybe they don't list the development guys on their site.

Post Thanks / Like

A list of some of the coaches from The Age as possibles for North job, but we could also target as Senior Assistant:

EX SENIORS
    Mark Harvey

A long time since he coached Fremantle and it is unlikely he would be realistically considered.

Justin Leppitsch (Richmond)
    Not a good period at the Brisbane Lions but if he learnt his lessons he might be better second time around. Is a good assistant coach.

Matthew Knights (Geelong)
    Stepped away from the limelight after he had little chance to prove his wares at Essendon. He is a good assistant coach and would be better the second time around.

Brendan McCartney (Melbourne)
    Unlikely to be a candidate having coached at the Western Bulldogs but he is a good asset at the Demons.

Brett Ratten (St Kilda)
    Five years at Carlton before stints in a premiership winning era at Hawthorn and now the Saints has him primed. He remains keen and can do the job.

Brenton Sanderson (Collingwood)
    Led Adelaide to a preliminary final in three seasons at the Crows and has been an assistant coach in successful periods at Geelong and Collingwood. Can coach but whether he would want the scrutiny of a senior gig remains unclear.

Michael Voss (Port Adelaide)
    Made biggest mistake recruiting ready made players at the end of his first season as senior coach at Lions which cruelled his stint. A big name in the game

Assistant coach

Scott Burns (Hawthorn)

Was in the mix at Carlton and has always seemed destined to be a senior coach after stints with West Coast, Collingwood and Hawthorn. He does not suffer fools and is well regarded.

Blake Caracella (Richmond)
    Tactical genius who would be an asset at any club but might be too early to step into a senior coaching position.

Ash Hansen (Western Bulldogs)
    Under-rated performer who has coached at VFL level and could be ready to make the next step.

Justin Longmuir (Collingwood)
    Credited with shaping the Pies gameplan and the players like him. He is a sensible, measured voice.

Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
    Inexperienced but a certain senior coach in the future. North Melbourne could try to entice him their way.

Matthew Nicks (GWS)
    Moved to the Giants after a stint at Port Adelaide where he was respected to improve his senior coaching credentials. He would be a left-field coach.

Jade Rawlings (Melbourne)
    Has experience as a caretaker coach, played at the Kangaroos and coaches his own team. He is ready and has seen the Demons move from disaster to a preliminary

Rhyce Shaw (North Melbourne)
    Possible caretaker coach has coached NEAFL and won consecutive assistant coach of the year awards. Knows what is needed at North Melbourne.

Dean Solomon (Gold Coast)
    Big wraps on the Suns assistant but away from the spotlight so not high in people's consciousness.

Level 4 coaching course participants
    Craig Jennings (Melbourne), Daniel Giansiracusa (Western Bulldogs), David Teague (Carlton), Hansen (Western Bulldogs), Henry Playfair (St Kilda), Ashley Prescott (Gold Coast)