Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  45
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Senior Assist Coach Options

I love that that list air brushes out of history that Jade Rawlings ever played for us. Makes me so happy to want to believe that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Do we actually know how Cross and Boyd are rated as coaches? What do we actually know about Gia and Smith as coaches?
    Agree with this - it seems like being labelled as highly rated, without more and by literally anyone, is enough to be highly rated. What has Voss actually done at Port to be highly rated? They're still a thoroughly average side that missed the finals last year and have badly stagnated after a good start; why is Hinkley in strife but Voss remains highly rated?. Is Ratten less highly rated now that he's at a bad side instead of a good one? I've heard for pretty much over a decade how highly rated McCartney is/was as an assistant but he can't even sit in a coaches' box without causing disruption. It kinda seems self-fulfilling to me.

Also you didn't mention how handsome Gia is. That's a top 5 leadership trait and very highly rated in my book.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes jeemak, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Isn't he a part time development and rehabilitation coach? I'm sure I've seen him at games this year
    Crossy has been pretty visual at our games too. Talking to supporters and the like, I don't think he would be doing that if he had a heavy involvement at another club.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Agree with this - it seems like being labelled as highly rated, without more and by literally anyone, is enough to be highly rated. What has Voss actually done at Port to be highly rated? They're still a thoroughly average side that missed the finals last year and have badly stagnated after a good start; why is Hinkley in strife but Voss remains highly rated?. Is Ratten less highly rated now that he's at a bad side instead of a good one? I've heard for pretty much over a decade how highly rated McCartney is/was as an assistant but he can't even sit in a coaches' box without causing disruption. It kinda seems self-fulfilling to me.

Also you didn't mention how handsome Gia is. That's a top 5 leadership trait and very highly rated in my book.
    Being good looking didn't do my coaching career any good.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Bulldog4life, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gia is highly rated in AFL circles, his name even came up as dark horse selections for the North role next year.

I love the idea of either John Barker (who has been close to senior selection) or Matty Boyd (hard arse) joining our coaching list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Agree , especially point #3
    Someone needs to challenge our deficiencies and sort it out.
    Our kicking is hopelesss and mental focus to stay switched on for 100% game time , yes that includes at the start .

Also need a coach to tell the sports scientist to f@$&& off with their hocus pocus.
    Put some mongrel and hungry back into our team and to bleed rwb
    Love this
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Gia has coaching ambitions it’s why he has taken on our vfl team which seems to be going okay.
    What’s the thoughts on Chris Maple, he seems to bring gold wherever he goes.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Could we offer Sumich some sort of role if he's happy to leave Perth? Seems well regarded.

How much do Melbourne love a sacked coach? McCartney, Neil Craig, now Bolton.

PETER Sumich could return to AFL coaching circles next season.

Sumich was this week named the under-18 national champions All-Australian coach after guiding Western Australia to the titles.

Sumich fell out with Ross Lyon before departing Fremantle in 2016, but could be tempted to re-enter club land for the right role.

Former Carlton coach Brendon Bolton was this week linked to a move to Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems odd how the media seem to weekly select a coach on whom to turn up the heat.

Often it doesn't seem to bear any relevance to the games won and lost, but mainly centres around the team performance, based on some prejudged concept of potential.

Clarko, for example, is never under any scrutiny, due to his past efforts with team which were packed with talent. However Hawthorn have won less games than we have, with his present line up. And it is undeniable Clarko has overseen the demise of his once great team. Kenny Hinkley and John Worsfold are continually touted as coaches whose jobs are under siege, and yet they have achieved more success this year than the Hawks.

I understand that both Port and Essendon are perceived to have talent to burn, and neither have set the world on fire this year. However the "talent" available to any given coach is a largely subjective measurement. Mainly associated with the value of the story to the publication the journo writes for.

Are we escaping media scrutiny because our irrelevance makes it less of a valuable media story ? Or is it just there is no story to be had from us ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Supposedly August 1st was D-day for assistant coaches - as in are they continuing at their current club or not.

Anyone hear any news on our assistants?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Supposedly August 1st was D-day for assistant coaches - as in are they continuing at their current club or not.

Anyone hear any news on our assistants?
    I spent some time googling today, checking AFEL.con and out website. Complete silence thus far...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I spent some time googling today, checking AFEL.con and out website. Complete silence thus far...
    Yay! All re-signed, move on, nothing to see here...

Surely, surely there has to be some changes!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was the month of August for a decision to be made. Could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I thought it was the month of August for a decision to be made. Could be wrong.
    You may well be correct.

Post Thanks / Like

It is August 1 but I'm not sure that clubs all come out and announce who is staying and who is going at the time.