Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  45
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Senior Assist Coach Options

Trengove could have been used for enforcer duties at centre bouncers and throw ups (to help protect the mids and bash and crash theirs). That is where he could have been used best and what we lacked.

2. Likes DOG GOD, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probably highly unlikely but is there anyway we could bring Monty back as an assistant coach? He seems to have missed his opportunity as a senior coach and might be looking for a return back to Melbourne
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's probably highly unlikely but is there anyway we could bring Monty back as an assistant coach? He seems to have missed his opportunity as a senior coach and might be looking for a return back to Melbourne
    How well do he and Bevo get on?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    How well do he and Bevo get on?
    I'm not sure if there was a problem between the two of them or not. I just think Monty's direct style with players would balance nicely with Bevo

Post Thanks / Like

Is Beveridge not a direct person?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is Beveridge not a direct person?
    I think he's more of a people person than jumping on things before the become bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's more of a people person than jumping on things before the become bigger.
    Fair enough. I wouldn't know, but from what I see in the media work he's done he it's pretty clear when he wants to get a point across.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. I wouldn't know, but from what I see in the media work he's done he it's pretty clear when he wants to get a point across.
    I think you do the right thing by him and he is loyal, but go against him and you are in trouble. Just ask Williams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you think the discipline of the team fell away after the flag for a couple of years? I get that when Bevo has had enough the player needs an almost miracle to get back in his good books but I think we were slow to address some of the distracted players in 2017/18 but we eventually got there.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you think the discipline of the team fell away after the flag for a couple of years? I get that when Bevo has had enough the player needs an almost miracle to get back in his good books but I think we were slow to address some of the distracted players in 2017/18 but we eventually got there.
    Yes I think it most likely it slightly did but I think a lot of that discipline needs to be player driven. The coach is the coach and has to direct, but within the good teams it's the players who hold themselves to the standards set for them.

Over that time we saw Libba dropped and Stringer exited from the club. We also had players like Biggs and Redpath leave the game and Dahlhaus go to the Cats because he was being managed really closely and most likely not enjoying it.

The biggest issue over the last two years has been getting a consistent team on the park and the overall experience of the teams we did field. It's been staring us in the face for a long time, and that we managed to play so well in the second half of this year is a testament to he discipline and efforts of everyone at the club.

I'm not saying we don't need a refresh, I think we most certainly do. Discipline isn't the worry for me, it's how we evolve our game to capitalise on our strengths but be different so we can be more difficult to play against.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying we don't need a refresh, I think we most certainly do. Discipline isn't the worry for me, it's how we evolve our game to capitalise on our strengths but be different so we can be more difficult to play against.
    I think every team needs a refresh with new assistants coming in every few years. Hopefully if the rumours are true, we bring in a couple of outsiders.

There is a good reason why Stringer, Redpath, Dahl, Biggs are no longer at the club. Libba was almost one of them.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think it most likely it slightly did but I think a lot of that discipline needs to be player driven. The coach is the coach and has to direct, but within the good teams it's the players who hold themselves to the standards set for them.

Over that time we saw Libba dropped and Stringer exited from the club. We also had players like Biggs and Redpath leave the game and Dahlhaus go to the Cats because he was being managed really closely and most likely not enjoying it.

The biggest issue over the last two years has been getting a consistent team on the park and the overall experience of the teams we did field. It's been staring us in the face for a long time, and that we managed to play so well in the second half of this year is a testament to he discipline and efforts of everyone at the club.

When things were going pear shaped in 2017 and a few of the boys were clearly distracted the one player we took on and made an example of was a rookie. Perhaps we decided to wait until the end of the season to deal with it rather than to create a story in the media and have to deal with it but I think some players found it a fairly distracting.
    At the end of the season Bevo called out one of the main problems in Stringer but that wasn't enough.
    A year later I think we made the right calls. I don't think discipline is an issue now and yes just bring in some IP from another club would assist but I do like the idea of someone like Monty that has a different approach to the other coaches.
    At the end of the day it's probably a long shot suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

When things were going pear shaped in 2017 and a few of the boys were clearly distracted the one player we took on and made an example of was a rookie. Perhaps we decided to wait until the end of the season to deal with it rather than to create a story in the media and have to deal with it but I think some players found it a fairly distracting.
    At the end of the season Bevo called out one of the main problems in Stringer but that wasn't enough.
    A year later I think we made the right calls. I don't think discipline is an issue now and yes just bring in some IP from another club would assist but I do like the idea of someone like Monty that has a different approach to the other coaches.
    At the end of the day it's probably a long shot suggestion
    Monty left suddenly and didn't even wait for the finals. I can only surmise there were issues between him and the other coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Which rookie did we discipline in 2017?

Post Thanks / Like

Which rookie did we discipline in 2017?
    Goetz