Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  31
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned-round 10 v North Melbourne 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It takes a touch more than 17 senior games to develop a ruck craft, and I agree he's acquitted himself well in games this year irrespective of being towelled up by a couple of elite opponents.

That he kicked a couple of goals yesterday was really promising, a ruck who can go forward and be effective is a huge asset to the team.
    English showed enough yesterday to suggest he may well end up as a key forward and used as a second string ruck man to a Lew Young. If Schache was to come good it would then allow Naughton to become the key defender where he probably is best suited. This would then lead to the two key forwards and backs that we have been searching for all year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Reckon it's time for an extended run at CHF? I do.

As evidenced yesterday Zaine is a legitimately better ruckman at the moment. It often gets overlooked but ruckwork is HARD and not something you are automatically going to be good at just because of height alone.
    Yes, by all means lets not have any patience with a young player in their current role - and rush them into an unfamiliar role immediately. It has worked so well in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are people turning on English?

People complain we don’t play guys in their position, and that Schache should be given the chance to develop on the seniors... but how we should move English?

Crazy days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    English showed enough yesterday to suggest he may well end up as a key forward and used as a second string ruck man to a Lew Young. If Schache was to come good it would then allow Naughton to become the key defender where he probably is best suited. This would then lead to the two key forwards and backs that we have been searching for all year
    It shouldn't but this genuinely made me laugh out loud. I am just looking forward a few weeks to the reaction on here where the boys run out, Cordy is in the ruck, English at CHF, and Schache at CHB...

English did show a bit - just like he did in Ballarat vs GC last year, but there is a bit of a difference between a bit of pinch hitting up forward and playing consistent minutes up there. Port have been really battling to get the balance right with Ryder and Lycett, both of whom have had far better outings as permanent forwards than Tim did in 'spot time' yesterday.

Could he go forward and sneak one or two every few weeks? Sure. Will we get reliable service from him as a forward? Well, history says we wont - big ruckman up forward often LOOK dangerous but rarely ARE dangerous...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yes, by all means lets not have any patience with a young player in their current role - and rush them into an unfamiliar role immediately. It has worked so well in the past.
    You mean like with Aaron Naughton?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Could he go forward and sneak one or two every few weeks? Sure. Will we get reliable service from him as a forward? Well, history says we wont - big ruckman up forward often LOOK dangerous but rarely ARE dangerous...
    ... and no team ever won the flag from 7th

I'm not sure anyone advocating English play mostly forward for the next week or month is advocating a permanent move, but we desperately need a second tall forward now and someone who can play second ruck.

English spending time forward will at least occupy McGovern who will destroy any forwardline with only a single KPF, have English develop an important part of his game as most no 1 rucks still pinch hit forward at times, and allow him ruck minutes each quarter against AFL standard ruck opponents so his ruck development isn't neglected.
    I can see the logic of it in the short term.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers