Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Libba bags Campbell Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
    As much as Libba is in the wrong on this one does anyone else think Smorgon went a little too hard in returning fire? Don't get me wrong it's a good thing he came out and supported Rose and the club but he didn't need to add the extra personal bits.

Smorgon has been a good president for our club so far but I think his outburst (regarding Libba and money) has given the media more ammunition to hurt our club with. Although it is understandable Smorgon is under pressure during his work and personal life, we need a professional stance not an emotional or personal attack from our President in the media.
    I think Smorgon had to come out this hard.

Make sure there is absolutely no way you can be mis-interpreted.

This is wrong and not acceptable!

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Darcy will be on SEN in the next half hour or so and they are going to ask him for an opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    You're right but he's a passionate bloke and it's that passion that has served our club so well. If he had his time again, I supect he may have chosen to leave some of the the personal stuff out but hey...shit happens when he get worked up over something he had every right to be.

I can forgive a bloke for making mistakes when they are fighting for the reputation of the club and those within it. Will find it harder to forgive someone who's intent is simply to undermine our club.
    Agree AR, I think the buildup of innuendo and baseless rumour mongering that has been heaped on us this pre-season, has finally taken it's toll. Libba's unnecessary comments I think are the straw that has broken the camel's back. And unlike the other rumours which have materialised without a definite culprit to blame, Smorgo had a bonafide target for this one to take aim at.
    I think it also hurt more given that Libba is a former decorated player, and anything less than a strong statedment against what Libba said would almost tacitly give the rumour extra breath and life.

I'm sure if it was only Libba's comments that had been directed at our club in recent times, the response may've been more measured and less emotive from Smorgo.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for Libba. He is obviously troubled soul at the moment. Recent break up of his marriage. Doesn't know friend from foe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
    As much as Libba is in the wrong on this one does anyone else think Smorgon went a little too hard in returning fire? Don't get me wrong it's a good thing he came out and supported Rose and the club but he didn't need to add the extra personal bits.

Smorgon has been a good president for our club so far but I think his outburst (regarding Libba and money) has given the media more ammunition to hurt our club with. Although it is understandable Smorgon is under pressure during his work and personal life, we need a professional stance not an emotional or personal attack from our President in the media.
    I don't think he was out of line at all. if anything it shows the passion he has for the club which is more than you can say for Libba who has decided to rubbish to progress we've made with "heresay" statements from "undisclosed" critics of Rose, Eade and Smorgan. Its funny how a guy who hasn't been in the place for 7 years has "well placed sources".

As for a professional/non-emotive stance, I think Smorgan has been more than tolerant of the sniping which the club has endured during the off season. Rumours of a player rift, assistants not happy, the club in complete disarray, the funding for the development to be pulled etc and through it all you have Smorgan who denies it. Libba was the straw that broke the camel's back an I have no doubt that he feels hurt by Libba's comments, because whilst directed at Rose and Eade, Smorgan as president carries the can for both of their appointments.

Here is a guy who is effectively given his heart and soul to the club, in a capacity which is just as important as the on field role/service provide by Libba. If anything in the last 7 years Smorgan's role has been more significant than that of Libba's and this latest incident tops it off. The argument that players make great adminstrators because they played the game is a load of bollocks. Most players are as dumb as dog sh*t and think that because they've played the game they have a mortgage over its future.

What makes Libba think he was good enough for an assistant role or the footy manager's role anyway? he didn't even manage to keep his job at Carlton arguably the sh*ttest team over the last 3-4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I'm sorry for Libba. He is obviously troubled soul at the moment. Recent break up of his marriage. Doesn't know friend from foe.
    Now that does help explain his actions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Whilst I sympathise with Libba, surely this must be a time where he should be repairing bridges and not burning them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Whilst I sympathise with Libba, surely this must be a time where he should be repairing bridges and not burning them.
    It can be hard to distinguish between the two.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It can be hard to distinguish between the two.
    Fair enough then. I suppose having not gone through the experience doesn't really put me in much of a place to comment.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Libba was out of line but Smorgon showed a distinct lack of class with his very personal attack (Smorgon also publicly embarrassed Eade last year after the review and should have kept some of what he had to say to himself).

Smorgon and Rose have done great things for the club and should be applauded, but it doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. The club has managed itself very poorly in the media since the end part of last season and its no wonder we are down in terms of members.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsimmo View Post
    I think Libba was out of line but Smorgon showed a distinct lack of class with his very personal attack (Smorgon also publicly embarrassed Eade last year after the review and should have kept some of what he had to say to himself).

Smorgon and Rose have done great things for the club and should be applauded, but it doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. The club has managed itself very poorly in the media since the end part of last season and its no wonder we are down in terms of members.
    How was Liba's attack any less personal? Libba's attack was ignorant, personal and self fettering and born of not a genuine love of the club, but a desire to further undermine the club for his own advantage. It was a pretty despicable act by the Gnome and disappointing because of the Champion player that he was. personally I don't have an issue with Smorgon coming out to defend the club in this manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    How was Liba's attack any less personal? Libba's attack was ignorant, personal and self fettering and born of not a genuine love of the club, but a desire to further undermine the club for his own advantage. It was a pretty despicable act by the Gnome and disappointing because of the Champion player that he was. personally I don't have an issue with Smorgon coming out to defend the club in this manner.
    Not saying Libba wasn't out of line, just don't think that Smorgon did himself or the club any favours in the way he reacted. Libba says something about Rose and within an hour Smorgon responds in a very personal and public manner, there has been rumours about Eade for the last 4 months and Smorgon has been much less strident in his support (in fact I think his silence on Eade has contributed to the undermining of the club). Smorgon should be less precious about Rose and more precious about our football department.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsimmo View Post
    Not saying Libba wasn't out of line, just don't think that Smorgon did himself or the club any favours in the way he reacted. Libba says something about Rose and within an hour Smorgon responds in a very personal and public manner, there has been rumours about Eade for the last 4 months and Smorgon has been much less strident in his support (in fact I think his silence on Eade has contributed to the undermining of the club). Smorgon should be less precious about Rose and more precious about our football department.
    What you're saying though is that Smorgan can't win. If he remains silent he is destabilising the club by allowing unsubstatiated rumours to fester and continue. If he speaks out he is damned for reacting. I undestand what your saying about maybe he should have been a little less personal, but at the end of the day responding to blatent ill-informed lies requires a strong response. Should he stop defending Rose and start defending the football department? Well last I looked the office of the CEO had delivered on its promises, but the football department hasn't. Whether Rose's approach has meant that the football department has suffered is debateable and something only time will tell, but to date Rose has ticked the boxes!

Post Thanks / Like

Smorgon should defend all departments of the football club (just not by descending to cheap personal attacks). Saying that the football department doesn't deserve support because they had a poor year doesn't add up as all it does is destabilise the club and the football department continues to perform poorly.