Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  55
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's been a tough season so far in 2019 but........

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Fair enough. I was just laughing at the use of SuperCoach and AFL fantasy numbers...they just don’t reflect the game. I was also frustrated with the list of Geelong player who were ‘strong marks’ that featured a bloke who has played one game, mids like Duncan and Selwood who no-one would say are particularly strong overhead and ignored the fact that several of their defenders (Stewart, Oconnor,Kolo) have high mark numbers as they chip the ball around d50 - Geelong use the corridor LESS than any other side - because it didn’t seem to support your point.
    I didn't mention the fantasy numbers, they were just in the screenshots between the team names and kicks, handballs and marks. The player list included good marks and elite mids, I was trying to say they play slow (1) because they don't need a fast break to take a mark and (2) so their best mids can get from contest to contest

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    As for retaining the footy not working for us...well - how exactly is the current strategy that sees us conceding loads of goals working? The game is changing - if we don’t have a revolutionary plan, well, we better get with the evolution ‘cos at the moment we are behind the times and leaking goals. North scoring 100 points against us should be a massive red flag for everyone.
    2 & 3 years ago, us and Richmond won the flag with small forward lines and teams full of pressure mids. Teams with slower game plans leading the way half way through this year doesn't mean teams without the cattle to take contested marks, or without big gaps between their best and worst mids, would be better off playing the same way
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I didn't mention the fantasy numbers, they were just in the screenshots between the team names and kicks, handballs and marks. The player list included good marks and elite mids, I was trying to say they play slow (1) because they don't need a fast break to take a mark and (2) so their best mids can get from contest to contest

2 & 3 years ago, us and Richmond won the flag with small forward lines and teams full of pressure mids. Teams with slower game plans leading the way half way through this year doesn't mean teams without the cattle to take contested marks, or without big gaps between their best and worst mids, would be better off playing the same way
    They play slow cos they have DECIDED to play slow. Their new players - Rohan, Dahl, Miers - aren’t great marks. They aren’t. They have identified that goals are coming primarily from turnover...and turnovers come from rushed footy. They have changed with the times - we haven’t (we are in the top half dozen sides for play ons along with Melbourne and Carlton!) and it is killing us.

Geelong aren’t taking contested marks - they are taking marks by spreading the ground/making it big and creating 1-v-none chances.

Richmond are a different case - I have said this. They defend with structure and if you watch their setup behind the ball, they create a bit of a wall traditionally keyed on Rance and now on Grimes. West coast use a similar system keyed on McGovern - likewise Collingwood keyed on Howe. I thought this was they way we were going late last year basing our back 6 on Naughton and his ability to read and intercept with Crozier as the secondary support, Morris the lockdown and JJ the runner. But that went out the window with the move of Naughton and now we are stuck in the middle of two systems...it looked like Wood was supposed to play the Naughton role early in the year, then he was back to the Morris role and Crozier in the Naughton spot...now, well, it is hard to figure out.

Going fast and opening ourselves up for turnover is KILLING us because we are leaking scores against...we cannot keep playing this way.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a tough season so far in 2019 but........

Next year will be worse. I picked us to be bottom 4 this year based on the clear lack of direction and any signs of improvement during preseason. This has, and will continue, to play out.

I think depending on the improvement of Carlton and Gold Coast we'll be strongly in the hunt for the wooden spoon next year. I'm confident there'll be again no obvious sign of improvement or team cohesion, weak areas (skills and goal kicking will be worse again), and players who 3 years ago looked like potential stars will continue to stagnate or regress with clear signs of confusion as to their role. 2020, not this year, will be rock bottom before we finally wake up and complete a brutal review of the entire football department. Signing anyone beyond next year is going to be a costly mistake, one we look like we're about to make.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

Next year will be worse. I picked us to be bottom 4 this year based on the clear lack of direction and any signs of improvement during preseason. This has, and will continue, to play out.

I think depending on the improvement of Carlton and Gold Coast we'll be strongly in the hunt for the wooden spoon next year. I'm confident there'll be again no obvious sign of improvement or team cohesion, weak areas (skills and goal kicking will be worse again), and players who 3 years ago looked like potential stars will continue to stagnate or regress with clear signs of confusion as to their role. 2020, not this year, will be rock bottom before we finally wake up and complete a brutal review of the entire football department. Signing anyone beyond next year is going to be a costly mistake, one we look like we're about to make.
    And we keep avoiding the public blow torch. Brad Scott going, now Brendan Bolton going and Melbourne & Sydney falling off the footy cliff has really avoided us getting the scrutiny we need.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Premiers to wooden spoon in 4 seasons, that would have to be a record wouldnt it?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Premiers to wooden spoon in 4 seasons, that would have to be a record wouldnt it?
    West Coast did it- 2006 premiers, 2010 wooden spoon. They had a few things going on off the field however.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

West Coast did it- 2006 premiers, 2010 wooden spoon. They had a few things going on off the field however.
    We've had a few of those as well i guess. Quite the fall from grace.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s been a tough season so far in 2019 but...

... I’ll be in Europe within a few weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Lucky you.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. I was there last year, wish I was going back.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We also did it in 5 years from 1954 to 1959 - we then made the GF again 2 years later and 5 years after that we won another wooden spoon.

Bevo looks completely bereft of inspiration and ideas at the moment. I wonder if his management are quietly sussing out the Carlton gig and a huge payday for him.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We also did it in 5 years from 1954 to 1959 - we then made the GF again 2 years later and 5 years after that we won another wooden spoon.

Bevo looks completely bereft of inspiration and ideas at the moment. I wonder if his management are quietly sussing out the Carlton gig and a huge payday for him.
    If he deep down knows he's a one hit wonder (and there's pretty strong evidence he might be) then he'd be crazy not to take the money and run. If next year continues his year-on-year-on-year-on-year decline his position has to be untenable (assuming we turnover all/most assistants this year to see if that can turn things around) so Carlton would give him at least 3-4 years to turn his form around before exiting the industry. He'd also be going there with a reasonably strong reputation, that would take a hit if it was the club driving his exit rather than him.

Post Thanks / Like

If he deep down knows he's a one hit wonder (and there's pretty strong evidence he might be) then he'd be crazy not to take the money and run. If next year continues his year-on-year-on-year-on-year decline his position has to be untenable (assuming we turnover all/most assistants this year to see if that can turn things around) so Carlton would give him at least 3-4 years to turn his form around before exiting the industry. He'd also be going there with a reasonably strong reputation, that would take a hit if it was the club driving his exit rather than him.
    One idea, we need to bring in a 'Ghost writer' for him. A highly experienced coach to tweak things, steady the ship. If Bevo would be humble enough to accept this advice.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't see why we wouldn't offer Bevo an extended deal until the end of 2022. We need to however, change the football department team around him and probably modify his focus. He doesn't strike me as a career coach so I think he will want to get us back on track before he even thinks of departing.

I get all the concerns about the buck stopping with the coach and I certainly understand that we are performing below expectation but I do think he is trying his hardest and I suggest we should be a bit more patient

Having said that he does look a bit bereft of solutions and in need of a break

It's so important that we continue to develop the playing list and focus on building a better base for next season.
    Despite the losses there are still a lot of positives. Sacking a coach is the last resort in my opinion and we are a long way off that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog liked this post