Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  55
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's been a tough season so far in 2019 but........

People can talk about versatility, playing out of position, talent etc, but what I gather out of MJP's post, is EFFORT, or lack of by some players.

Players have to stop sooking and play where they are asked to play.

The only real effort on the weekend was the first quarter, which in my opinion we won, even though the scores were tied, and the first 10 minutes of the last.

We lost on Saturday, because our mids didn't give us enough inside 50's to kick a winning score.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

We lost on Saturday, because our mids didn't give us enough inside 50's to kick a winning score.
    See - I reckon we lost because we allowed too much possession/too many inside 50's to North. I understand what you are saying and people will say that it is semantics - "What does it matter how many they get as long as we get more...", but to me that is a BS attitude.

It only takes one person to score a goal. It only takes one to create an inside 50m. Naughton takes a ridiculous mark, JJ runs and has 4x bounces...done. A high i50 count can be the result of a number of positive one-player/two-player efforts.

It takes an entire TEAM to stop a goal. It takes an entire TEAM to stop an opposition i50. In transition, if just ONE PLAYER makes a mistake, is a bit slow, is a bit 'soft' (broken tackle)...GOAL. Everyone needs to consistently and continuously play their part in order to stop the opposition.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    See - I reckon we lost because we allowed too much possession/too many inside 50's to North. I understand what you are saying and people will say that it is semantics - "What does it matter how many they get as long as we get more...", but to me that is a BS attitude.

It only takes one person to score a goal. It only takes one to create an inside 50m. Naughton takes a ridiculous mark, JJ runs and has 4x bounces...done. A high i50 count can be the result of a number of positive one-player/two-player efforts.

It takes an entire TEAM to stop a goal. It takes an entire TEAM to stop an opposition i50. In transition, if just ONE PLAYER makes a mistake, is a bit slow, is a bit 'soft' (broken tackle)...GOAL. Everyone needs to consistently and continuously play their part in order to stop the opposition.
    I can't argue against that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Quoted because it's the truth.

Our 2-way running is dreadful.. to a man our players go half rat power when transitioning from offence into defence. And when you have a backline that isn't all that good at one-on-one defending you're in big trouble.

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly hasn't been our ability to score that's let us down these last two weeks. If our defense is up to scratch we win with 90 points or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t want to see more grunt or toughness.
    I want to see more skill. I want to see the player with the ball take responsibility for doing something with it.

Too much of the possessions count does nothing to help win the game.

who gets the ball, sprints 10 metres and kicks a low 45 metre pass. Nobody except Bont (and Smith)

At present everyone simply looks for a handpass. Most weeks we have 20, 30 or 40 more than the opposition and lose because of resulting turnovers.

Combine quality kicking with a sensible goal to goal line and we would enjoy significantly more wins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It certainly hasn't been our ability to score that's let us down these last two weeks. If our defense is up to scratch we win with 90 points or so.
    Similar number of scoring shots but the opposition usually get a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the last two weeks, no.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Is it our defence that is the issue or our lack of accountability further up the ground? Sure our defence would be part of the problem but turnovers, skill errors and hardness at the ball are all significant contributors.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue is at a coaching level if you ask me. You can't play players out of position long term or even quarter to quarter. Macrae / Libba forward has never worked. You can't bring in new players who have been playing completely different roles in the VFL and expect them to perform other roles in the senior team they're not accustomed to. There are just too many weird decisions being made at the MC / Snr coach level for loses to be remotely palatable. We need an assistant coach clean out and Bevo needs a bad cop. I'd go hard at luring Buddha over from the Pies. Their stoppage work is exemplary and I'd also assign a specific ball movement portfolio to an assistant coach as well. The way we transition is just terrible 80% of the time.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Is it our defence that is the issue or our lack of accountability further up the ground? Sure our defence would be part of the problem but turnovers, skill errors and hardness at the ball are all significant contributors.
    Team defense. Not putting the Men's Club on blast. I was responding pretty close to the point MJP made about it being a team effort to stop a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    The defence certainly would be under the spotlight the last 2 weeks considering 21 and 18 goals over 100 points. We have slightly improved the goalkicking with 13.11 and 13.12 but still not good enough to get the win the last 2 weeks anyway. Those other things mentioned are all factors to our current situation.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    The defence certainly would be under the spotlight the last 2 weeks considering 21 and 18 goals over 100 points. We have slightly improved the goalkicking with 13.11 and 13.12 but still not good enough to get the win the last 2 weeks anyway. Those other things mentioned are all factors to our current situation.
    Defense is under pressure because we are not defending the ball well up the ground. The ball comes out of our forward line far too easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Defense is under pressure because we are not defending the ball well up the ground. The ball comes out of our forward line far too easily.
    Yeah teams seem to get easy goals from us and we have to work for ours every time.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Team defense. Not putting the Men's Club on blast. I was responding pretty close to the point MJP made about it being a team effort to stop a goal.
    Thought that was what you meant just wanted to clarify as I totally agree. We let the opposition run rampant up the ground and through the middle.

18. Likes hujsh liked this post