Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  55
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's been a tough season so far in 2019 but........

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I honestly can't see why we wouldn't offer Bevo an extended deal until the end of 2022. We need to however, change the football department team around him and probably modify his focus. He doesn't strike me as a career coach so I think he will want to get us back on track before he even thinks of departing.

I get all the concerns about the buck stopping with the coach and I certainly understand that we are performing below expectation but I do think he is trying his hardest and I suggest we should be a bit more patient

Having said that he does look a bit bereft of solutions and in need of a break

It's so important that we continue to develop the playing list and focus on building a better base for next season.
    Despite the losses there are still a lot of positives. Sacking a coach is the last resort in my opinion and we are a long way off that.
    He's under contract until the end of next year. Why extend him anytime soon? Did we not feel the financial sting enough after we signed BMac early?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He's under contract until the end of next year. Why extend him anytime soon? Did we not feel the financial sting enough after we signed BMac early?
    They need to extend his contract this year even if it's just another 12 months. We can't open the door for others.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They need to extend his contract this year even if it's just another 12 months. We can't open the door for others.
    100%.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't see why we wouldn't offer Bevo an extended deal until the end of 2022. We need to however, change the football department team around him and probably modify his focus. He doesn't strike me as a career coach so I think he will want to get us back on track before he even thinks of departing.

I get all the concerns about the buck stopping with the coach and I certainly understand that we are performing below expectation but I do think he is trying his hardest and I suggest we should be a bit more patient

It's so important that we continue to develop the playing list and focus on building a better base for next season.
    Despite the losses there are still a lot of positives. Sacking a coach is the last resort in my opinion and we are a long way off that.
    Agree entirely. Sacking him would be bloody ridiculous. Bevo won a premiership less than 3 full seasons ago. He stays. Lets look at the football department in general including assistants. But Bevo stays.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree completely we would look like fools who cant handle success so don't deserve any. We do need some new assistants who could look at things in a fresh way. They don't have to be ex-bulldog players either, in fact I'd prefer some experience and new ideas from outside the club. Lets rip off another club's IP for once.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    If he deep down knows he's a one hit wonder (and there's pretty strong evidence he might be) then he'd be crazy not to take the money and run. If next year continues his year-on-year-on-year-on-year decline his position has to be untenable (assuming we turnover all/most assistants this year to see if that can turn things around) so Carlton would give him at least 3-4 years to turn his form around before exiting the industry. He'd also be going there with a reasonably strong reputation, that would take a hit if it was the club driving his exit rather than him.
    If we had the money to bring in 3 new assistants (one senior and two players who have retired in the last couple of years) who would you go for? While we are at it you can throw in two players (any players) from another club(s), would you go for potential, established stars or a combination of both?

I'd throw a shedload at Brett Ratten, and ask about the availability of Luke Hodge and maybe Harry Taylor as coaches. Dunno so much about the players but I'd love to see Adam Trealor in our colours-he would solve a couple of the problems we have with pace and ball use and experience. I'd also like a ruckman while English develops or finds another position and a small forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If we had the money to bring in 3 new assistants (one senior and two players who have retired in the last couple of years) who would you go for? While we are at it you can throw in two players (any players) from another club(s), would you go for potential, established stars or a combination of both?
    How much money have we saved up in the Salary Cap from 'Hurley money' to 'Wingard money'? None of that got spent so surely we have a few bob around to pay for an assistant or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    How much money have we saved up in the Salary Cap from 'Hurley money' to 'Wingard money'? None of that got spent so surely we have a few bob around to pay for an assistant or two.
    We do but in this fantasy scenario I'm talking monopoly money. Just for this particular exercise we have no financial problems because Peter Gordon hosted Roman Abramovich at a game and he fell in love with the code and the Bulldogs so much that he took all his money out of Chelsea and decided to fund the Bulldogs instead. We have billions, more than all the other clubs and the AFL put together.

Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of assistants I hope we're having a purposeful chat with Jared Roughead, assuming he's going to pull the pin at season's end.

He's clearly a natural teacher of the game and might help remedy our inability to successfully develop talls and/or 'forward craft'. He's also the very embodiment of Bevo's versatility' mantra.

Can't imagine it'd hurt the development of English, Schache or Lewis Young one bit.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    On the topic of assistants I hope we're having a purposeful chat with Jared Roughead, assuming he's going to pull the pin at season's end.

He's clearly a natural teacher of the game and might help remedy our inability to successfully develop talls and/or 'forward craft'. He's also the very embodiment of Bevo's versatility' mantra.

Can't imagine it'd hurt the development of English, Schache or Lewis Young one bit.
    Roughy is exactly the sort of assistant I would be interested in. He knows the game and he speaks his mind when he feels the need. He's also been a successful forward and he had prime seats for the Buddy show for a decade, you couldn't help but learn watching Franklyn play the game from 10 metres away.

12. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roughy is exactly the sort of assistant I would be interested in. He knows the game and he speaks his mind when he feels the need. He's also been a successful forward and he had prime seats for the Buddy show for a decade, you couldn't help but learn watching Franklyn play the game from 10 metres away.
    Not bad down back either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Not bad down back either.
    Exactly, plus stints in the ruck. He's the ultimate swingman.

Get on the dog and bone Bevo and cash in a bit more of your Hawthorn goodwill.

If we're planning on building a team around the big blokes mentioned the least we can do is get them some first class tutelage.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Some of us have been dreaming of coaching changes since the end of 2017. I honestly don’t think any changes will be made to the actual coaches. Only change that will occur is swap of defence, midfield, forward and VFL coaches, as we have done every year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Some of us have been dreaming of coaching changes since the end of 2017. I honestly don’t think any changes will be made to the actual coaches. Only change that will occur is swap of defence, midfield, forward and VFL coaches, as we have done every year.
    To be fair, there have been a few changes, maybe not as many as we speculate should.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd throw a shedload at Brett Ratten, and ask about the availability of Luke Hodge and maybe Harry Taylor as coaches. Dunno so much about the players but I'd love to see Adam Trealor in our colours-he would solve a couple of the problems we have with pace and ball use and experience. I'd also like a ruckman while English develops or finds another position and a small forward.
    I would like Ratten, Hodge and Bartel
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

18. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post