Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    I am all for throwing him in, but I am staggered we showed our hand so early.

    Teams analyse opposition players to the nth degree but West Coast would not have been expecting Gardner nor would have they given their forwards/defenders any vision of him. Now we have given them a few days to find vision and get them up to speed. It feels like an amateurish and dum call to me.

    Why not tell him privately and bury the footage till later? Spring him as a late in from the emergencies and give WC no time to adjust. In a environment where teams are looking for every tiny competitive advantage this is an instance where we could have pulled a really big rabbit out of the hat and maybe through mismatches gained a little bit of an edge.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    In the space of a few days he goes from having 3 touches in a VFL game, to being drafted, to being told he's making his debut... Footy is a funny game.

    Wish him well.

    Bevo = no GrubGrubGrubGrubs are given!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Teams analyse opposition players to the nth degree but West Coast would not have been expecting Gardner nor would have they given their forwards/defenders any vision of him. Now we have given them a few days to find vision and get them up to speed. It feels like an amateurish and dum call to me.
    Well, they do...but honestly all of the VFL vision is online, all of the champion data files are online...pulling up his last 6 weeks of footy will take about 30 minutes (and I doubt they will pull up much more than his past two).

    They will spend time on Bont, Naughton etc as a team but this is a bit of a non-issue.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    With Bruce & Keath, is there a need to keep him around? I personally don't see him getting a game next year or beyond.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    With Bruce & Keath, is there a need to keep him around? I personally don't see him getting a game next year or beyond.
    He was really really really bad when he played this year. Respect to him for making it happen but there's no need to keep him on either list.
    https://www.instagram.com/shanebiggs/

    Lachie Hunter - Good AFL Player

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawforn
    Posts
    9,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He was really really really bad when he played this year. Respect to him for making it happen but there's no need to keep him on either list.
    So was the team at that point.

    If he costs nothing then put him somewhere at virtually no cost and we don't lose. He either gets better or he doesn't and we can move on later.

    It's really tough making a jump from reserves footy to senior footy, and for some players it takes more time. I don't think enough of us respect how difficult it is irrespective of whether the jump is being made from ammos div 2 to ammos div 1, or anything like VFL to AFL.

    The fact is he played AFL footy last year, it's stupid to think it happened only because Bevo and others wanted to prove a point.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    With Bruce & Keath, is there a need to keep him around? I personally don't see him getting a game next year or beyond.
    Even without Bruce and Keith I didnt believe there was a point to keeping him around.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So was the team at that point.

    If he costs nothing then put him somewhere at virtually no cost and we don't lose. He either gets better or he doesn't and we can move on later.

    It's really tough making a jump from reserves footy to senior footy, and for some players it takes more time. I don't think enough of us respect how difficult it is irrespective of whether the jump is being made from ammos div 2 to ammos div 1, or anything like VFL to AFL.

    The fact is he played AFL footy last year, it's stupid to think it happened only because Bevo and others wanted to prove a point.
    TBH I don't see him as a forward at AFL level so he went from VFL swingman to AFL forward which is tough for the best players to do, let alone a mid season rookie.

    If he is to be given another chance it simply has to be as a KPD.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •