Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  104
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If King does a Buddy and kicks 8 tomorrow, I will boil one of my old Dogs hats and stream myself eating it live.
    Damo is on to it:

IF ...

he hasn't yet kicked a bag in his very impressive 16 AFL matches ...
    THEN ...

what better time to do it than an elimination final? Max King,
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As much as I love Morris, he was too short to play on Buddy and Rocket should never have played him there. He made a change after half time but the horse had bolted. I hated that game.
    I think Moz might have got one back on him...

"I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I think Moz might have got one back on him...

Moz is one of my all time favourite defenders, but like Kretiuk, he was often asked to defend way out of his weight class - unfair, but we had little choice at times.

That is surely the tackle of the century.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love Morris, he was too short to play on Buddy and Rocket should never have played him there. He made a change after half time but the horse had bolted. I hated that game.
    What's to hate about a qualifying final where we decided not to show up? It's not like it started a trend or anything over that three year period...…..
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What's to hate about a qualifying final where we decided not to show up? It's not like it started a trend or anything over that three year period...…..
    ...and it’s not like our soon to be Brownlow medallist snapped his knee cap in half that night and was never really the same again (and post career would become a supporter of the Essington Spongefloors instead of us).

Yikes. ‘08 should really get closer to ‘97 and ‘09 levels of animosity.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kelvin Templeton could have played on Buddy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming Gardner plays on King, I hope he plays him better than he did in R2. Allowed him easy access to jump at the ball and King has proven he's dangerous when he's allowed to run and jump.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Assuming Gardner plays on King, I hope he plays him better than he did in R2. Allowed him easy access to jump at the ball and King has proven he's dangerous when he's allowed to run and jump.
    I still think Gardner is the biggest risk, and could be the weak link. Hope I am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think Gardner is the biggest risk, and could be the weak link. Hope I am wrong.
    We said the same things about Hamling and Fletcher coming into the 2016 finals series.

If we defend the whole ground well we should be able to help his cause. We can't let him be isolated 1 0n 1 too often having a third man up as much as possible. Easier said than done though. I'd say Kennedy and Darling are a scarier proposition than King and Membery and Gardner didn't get monstered too much that night. This is where we need English at his intercepting best. But in saying all that I know exactly what you mean.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

15. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing him in 2019 and thinking he’d never make the grade. Certainly never be our Joel Hamling, ie the delisted Geelong KPD turned impactful defender. But he may well be. His development is paying way overs for a MSD Pick. He was without his senior KPD leader in Keath, so just he and Cordy to get the job done.

He was out Contested marking Dixon (who Jeemak can back me up, he’s a huge unit), his well timed spoiling, repelled I50 entries, got a vital touch on the goal line, competed the full game. Even the HTB against him looked like a trip on the replay. That extra bit of height, and athleticism (100% game time) with good defensive craft and development gives him something above the average league defender. Not going to be a high Disposal getter, but that’s not what he is. He’s a good old fashioned defender that does enough things well to help his team push for victory.

Good on you kid. You’re every chance to play in your first Grand Final.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes jeemak, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I remember seeing him in 2019 and thinking he’d never make the grade. Certainly never be our Joel Hamling, ie the delisted Geelong KPD turned impactful defender. But he may well be. His development is paying way overs for a MSD Pick. He was without his senior KPD leader in Keath, so just he and Cordy to get the job done.

He was out Contested marking Dixon (who Jeemak can back me up, he’s a huge unit), his well timed spoiling, repelled I50 entries, got a vital touch on the goal line, competed the full game. Even the HTB against him looked like a trip on the replay. That extra bit of height, and athleticism (100% game time) with good defensive craft and development gives him something above the average league defender. Not going to be a high Disposal getter, but that’s not what he is. He’s a good old fashioned defender that does enough things well to help his team push for victory.

Good on you kid. You’re every chance to play in your first Grand Final.
    there are some traits which he is elite in even though they are not fashionable or look flash

1. His strong and has massive endurance to be able to play the whole game out.
    2. He has speed, as he always seems to be near his opponent
    3. Good reader of the ball. His touch on the line shows his disciplined and good instinct to comeback to defend, but also he was quick enough to get back.

There is more upside to Gardner I sense. His got enormous self belief to get into the team from where his come from. A very good story.

19. Likes bulldogtragic, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's also seriously long, and times his spoils pretty well. He's still bang average one on one but there's a lot of forwards that he matches up well against, not least of which is that clownshoes in the #50 for the Dees.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Officially elevated to the main list

22. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deserved, and hopefully he can take another step forward and develop some more strength.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Officially elevated to the main list
    I'm a little dumb (on most things) but was he not on the main list and if so can someone explain why / what's the breakdown eg was he a rookie.