Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  104
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500 Alex.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think we can allow TD some artistic license when it comes to KT!
    Twodogs has overstated KT just a bit

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When KT kicked 15.9 v Saints, most of those were marks - well 16 marks to be exact

BAD, have a look at the marks that were paid in the last quarter. At least 6 of them were the umpires willing him on more so than genuine marks. If they were granted to an opposition player then the umpire isn't making it out of the Western Oval
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not just the crowd. One of the first on the scene is Don McKenzie the Footscray coach. He was there to tell KT that if he kicks the goal we break the record. No pressure son!

The police horse was easy enough to avoid. Only an idiot is going to run in front of a horse or a tank. But it happened at the end of every game I sent to until the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe not before the siren but as soon as the siren blew. If we were going to win it was nothing for the crowd to be waiting just the other side of the boundary line from time on in the last quarter.

It was a big thing to be first to put your foot in the middle of the ground.
    I was there, but didn't run onto the ground

Amazing day at the footy - KT was sensational. Looked up his record, took 19 marks in one game and had 32 disposals playing CHF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost missed the game - played in a local FDL reserves game earlier in the day and got to the ground at half time to catch up with the old man. Reckon I would have been spewing if I hadn't made the effort...and for what it's worth, I had Templeton's number on the back of my duffle coat.

I also got his autograph one day when he was working at Alexanders in Footscray - I really didn't need anything but knew he worked there so called in. From memory he was still a teenager, but he was my absolute fave player already.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    A mate of mine growing up used to take his footy boots to Waverly which was a five minute walk away and don them to make sure he had enough traction to try and win the race to the centre of the ground.
    Have you dipped into the TD anecdote book?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Just catching up here. So the consensus is Ryan Gardiner is going to be the next Kelvin Templeton? Big call WOOF.

7. Thanks Topdog, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500 Alex.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

In fairness to this thread though most discussions that start out talking about our key position stocks invariably end up finishing about how good Kelvin Templeton was.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I've been playing with the Sharks IHC for the past 7 seasons, mostly in the thirds. Social leagues mid week is good too, find your yourself trying to keep up with blokes who have played in the AIHL or for the national squad at some point. The worst is the young fellas who are guns coming through though! Too quick for me.
    Fancy that. Good chance we've been teammates at some point! Wild.

Back on thread through, Plums needs to grow up quick this week, we'll need the game of his life against the King, Membrey, Marshall & Ryder combo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Fancy that. Good chance we've been teammates at some point! Wild.

Back on thread through, Plums needs to grow up quick this week, we'll need the game of his life against the King, Membrey, Marshall & Ryder combo.
    I'm a tad concerned plums will be exposed myself. But need to keep the faith he's been pretty solid of late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm a tad concerned plums will be exposed myself. But need to keep the faith he's been pretty solid of late.
    Have faith.

He has found his rhythm. Will do the job.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Have faith.

He has found his rhythm. Will do the job.
    I reckon he's a decent match up for Max King. For all the hype, King drops marks as soon as there is any pressure on him. As you said, Gardner has found some rhythm and has the ability to just do his job and halve contests.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I reckon he's a decent match up for Max King. For all the hype, King drops marks as soon as there is any pressure on him. As you said, Gardner has found some rhythm and has the ability to just do his job and halve contests.
    I'm happy that he's settled, but he's become whatever being the opposite of the victim of expectations is. He still goes to ground way too easily, still panics under high balls and is still shaky by foot. I know he's going to play and know he's going to play on King, but I'm worried he could end up on highlight reels for the next twenty years like those Crows defenders that tried to play on Buddy in 2007.

If he just sticks to basics as he has been we should be fine. Big if.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm happy that he's settled, but he's become whatever being the opposite of the victim of expectations is. He still goes to ground way too easily, still panics under high balls and is still shaky by foot. I know he's going to play and know he's going to play on King, but I'm worried he could end up on highlight reels for the next twenty years like those Crows defenders that tried to play on Buddy in 2007.

If he just sticks to basics as he has been we should be fine. Big if.
    Or Morris/Lake that played on Buddy in the 08 QF. His 8 goals that night popped up as an AFL 'Big Bags' video on twitter today - I wasn't sure which of Buddy's big bags was going to be featured though, on or off field.

Post Thanks / Like

If King does a Buddy and kicks 8 tomorrow, I will boil one of my old Dogs hats and stream myself eating it live.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Or Morris/Lake that played on Buddy in the 08 QF. His 8 goals that night popped up as an AFL 'Big Bags' video on twitter today - I wasn't sure which of Buddy's big bags was going to be featured though, on or off field.
    As much as I love Morris, he was too short to play on Buddy and Rocket should never have played him there. He made a change after half time but the horse had bolted. I hated that game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As much as I love Morris, he was too short to play on Buddy and Rocket should never have played him there. He made a change after half time but the horse had bolted. I hated that game.
    One of the most demoralising nights at the footy that I can remember. Plenty of competition for bad losses, but the magnitude of that in a major final was significant.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post