Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

It was 30 years ago today!!!!!

We (my son and I) have just watched 1989 the documentary about Arsenal's last gasp title win in 1989 at Anfield. It occurred to us that with the time difference between England and Australia that it's exactly 30 years ago today (tonight) that the match took place.

IT WAS 30 YEARS AGO TODAY THAT WE WON THE GREATEST CHAMPIONSHIP EVER!
    WOOF NUMBER 6

2. Likes bornadog, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It was 30 years ago today!!!!!

Probably the most thrilling I’d seen
    First time a live English 1st div game was shown in Oz
    Probably more against the odds than City’s win against United a few years ago .

Post Thanks / Like

Live game that is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Probably the most thrilling Id seen
    First time a live English 1st div game was shown in Oz
    Probably more against the odds than Citys win against United a few years ago .
    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Live game that is
    Because there was a two week postponement of matches after Hillsborough. And the contract with the Australian broadcaster (I think it was the ABC, it was on channel 2 and not SBS from memory) stated that any League matches played after the FA cup final could be broadcast live.

I watched it with my Liverpool supporting housemate. I got so engrossed in the match that when Micky Thomas scored I started jumping up and down and screaming only to find that he had passed out on the couch about half an hour before even though I had been talking to him all along "Oh, did you see that mate?" "Geez Rush should have slotted that one" "Oh no f)*#ing Barnes just has to take it to the corner flag and wait and that's going to be f#@$ing that" "Hang on it's Micky Thoommmmaasss!!!!!!!"

The Micky Thomas goal celebration woke him (and most of the rest my neighbourhood) up though.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Not 30 years ago but RIP Jose Antonio Reyes, one of the invincibles - dead at age 35.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not 30 years ago but RIP Jose Antonio Reyes, one of the invincibles - dead at age 35.
    He was just about the greatest of the Invincibles before he did his knee. Remember when the players all bent down before him?
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Reyes was driving at 193 km/h at the moment of the crash. He also killed his cousin and a 3rd passenger is severely injured. Former Valencia goalie Canizares got heavily criticised for saying he believed it wasn't fitting to celebrate Reyes as a hero, which is true.

Thankfully he didnt manage to kill anyone else.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Reyes was driving at 193 km/h at the moment of the crash. He also killed his cousin and a 3rd passenger is severely injured. Former Valencia goalie Canizares got heavily criticised for saying he believed it wasn't fitting to celebrate Reyes as a hero, which is true.

Thankfully he didnt manage to kill anyone else.
    70 Ks over the speed limit. Just insane.

You're right, it's lucky it was a single car accident.
    WOOF NUMBER 6