Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned-round 11 v West Coast Eagles 2019

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFill View Post
    1. The gap between what Bevo thinks Gowers is and what he actually is, is enormous
    2. We have to many 6’2 medium sized, medium skilled, medium paced HBFers, and not enough guys with a particular niche talent
    3. The coaching staff are so unwilling to utilise good sense over perceived innovativeness, they probably think their stubbornness is actually resilience.
    To even have Gowers in the team let alone in the middle shows where we are at. That experiment has failed Bevo and you were wrong. All is forgiven Simon Dalrymple.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our good players are down and our young players just aren't in the stage of their development to fill the breach

2. Lachie Young will be a player, I hope we're not destroying him

3. We desperately need genuine forwards, not resting mids, ahead of the ball. Absolutely has to be our focus in the upcoming trade period and draft.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    1. Our good players are down and our young players just aren't in the stage of their development to fill the breach

3. We desperately need genuine forwards, not resting mids, ahead of the ball. Absolutely has to be our focus in the upcoming trade period and draft.
    What do you think of Sam Day?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

We seem to ignore the fact that forwards need forward craft. The ability to work the angles and sneak away from their defender and kick straight to make the most of their opportunities work and kick the ball straight. Playing as a forward is a skill in itself, not a handy place to rest mids for most of the game.

Just a thought. Bevo was very vocal about the fact the AFL limited the use of runners this year. Could his reluctance to change player positions despite them being beaten be a season long temper tantrum bought about by the fact that the use of runners have been limited?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just learned looking at the ladder that GCS & Carlton have only won 4 games between them in half a season of footy. Then that 2 of the 4 wins (50%) were against us on our home deck. On the flip side, we are responsible for half of the wins of Carlton & GCS this year. So we've given fans a lot of joy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFill View Post
    1. The gap between what Bevo thinks Gowers is and what he actually is, is enormous
    2. We have to many 6’2 medium sized, medium skilled, medium paced HBFers, and not enough guys with a particular niche talent
    3. The coaching staff are so unwilling to utilise good sense over perceived innovativeness, they probably think their stubbornness is actually resilience.
    Couldn’t agree more on point 3

Post Thanks / Like

1. Gowers just ain’t good enough
    2. Quit the innovative smartest coach in the room Bevo
    3. The kicking for goal is a complete embarrassment as was the second half

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    1. Gowers just ain’t good enough
    2. Quit the innovative smartest coach in the room Bevo
    3. The kicking for goal is a complete embarrassment as was the second half
    What's that mean Rem? Do you mean quit being the smartest coach in the room?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's that mean Rem? Do you mean quit being the smartest coach in the room?
    I guess stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just play to our strengths. Maybe he's gotten a bit in front of himself and his coaching abilities.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    To even have Gowers in the team let alone in the middle shows where we are at. That experiment has failed Bevo and you were wrong. All is forgiven Simon Dalrymple.
    Against the Eagles, Gowers had more possessions and kicked more goals than Naughton.

Take away Naughton’s 5 goal game and the fact that Gowers had to sacrifice his game to make opportunities for Naughton and there’s not much between their contributions.

Yet one can do no wrong and the other is the worst player in the competition! Give me a break. What does he have to do to be accepted?

we had the same nonsense with Roberts. Lucky he was dropped, otherwise we might have been thrashed in the last two weeks.

Oh, we were. (and at one stage against the Eagles we were 12 goals behind).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Against the Eagles, Gowers had more possessions and kicked more goals than Naughton.

Take away Naughton’s 5 goal game and the fact that Gowers had to sacrifice his game to make opportunities for Naughton and there’s not much between their contributions.

Yet one can do no wrong and the other is the worst player in the competition! Give me a break. What does he have to do to be accepted?

we had the same nonsense with Roberts. Lucky he was dropped, otherwise we might have been thrashed in the last two weeks.

Oh, we were. (and at one stage against the Eagles we were 12 goals behind).
    I’m not one of those that endlessly bags Gowers, I can see the reasons he is selected, even though I share the frustration at his erratic form...but honestly, using stats to differentiate between him and Naughton tells us nothing. We can all see from the evidence of WATCHING the game that Naughton has unique talents. We have all seen enough journeymen, and the rarer superstar in the making, to form those opinions by what we see, not mere stats. Ok, Naughton is not yet consistent but he won’t turn 20 until the end of this year and gets some horrible delivery. We sometimes have to trust the evident of our own eyes surely Danjul.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I’m not one of those that endlessly bags Gowers, I can see the reasons he is selected, even though I share the frustration at his erratic form...but honestly, using stats to differentiate between him and Naughton tells us nothing. We can all see from the evidence of WATCHING the game that Naughton has unique talents. We have all seen enough journeymen, and the rarer superstar in the making, to form those opinions by what we see, not mere stats. Ok, Naughton is not yet consistent but he won’t turn 20 until the end of this year and gets some horrible delivery. We sometimes have to trust the evident of our own eyes surely Danjul.
    Naughton will be a superstar over the next 10 years (hopefully). ... the future!

One thing that will help that come to pass is playing in a successful team instead of being expected to carry an unsuccessful one. ...the present!

At the moment the present performance is not getting enough constructive attention. Favourite players are developing. Favourite coaches are innovating.

What my eyes want to see is a balanced team, with the best available players in their natural positions long enough to work well with those around them. Add in a better kick to handball ratio and improving foot skills and I will be happier than I have been in the last 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Naughton will be a superstar over the next 10 years (hopefully). ... the future!

One thing that will help that come to pass is playing in a successful team instead of being expected to carry an unsuccessful one. ...the present!

At the moment the present performance is not getting enough constructive attention. Favourite players are developing. Favourite coaches are innovating.

What my eyes want to see is a balanced team, with the best available players in their natural positions long enough to work well with those around them. Add in a better kick to handball ratio and improving foot skills and I will be happier than I have been in the last 2 years.
    Given that you’re keen on using possession comparisons do you realise that Aaron is second to no one in the league for contested marks this season with 26. This number even where the oppositions best defenders are going to him. Gowers as a reference has 9 contested marks and nowhere near the attention that Aaron is having to deal with in his 2nd season.

16. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, hujsh, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Given that you’re keen on using possession comparisons do you realise that Aaron is second to no one in the league for contested marks this season with 26. This number even where the oppositions best defenders are going to him. Gowers as a reference has 9 contested marks and nowhere near the attention that Aaron is having to deal with in his 2nd season.
    I am not criticising Naughton, just using him as an example of how the endless criticism of some other players is totally out of control.

last year Gowers was our top goal scorer. He cannot be the worst player in the history of the game.

What people should be focusing on is suggestions that will make results better, not endlessly looking for scapegoats.
    especially when easily obtained figures clearly show they’re not as bad as some are claiming.

18. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify... The statements I was referring to was

Just to have Gowers in the team shows where we are at.

or we could use...

the gap between......

or......

Gowers is just not good enough.

and that is without going back beyond this page.

In my opinion Gowers carries less than 1% of the responsibility for where the team is.