Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V West Coast R11 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How long have you been following footy? You know that talls take longer to mature - Young is 20 years old and Schache 21 and both have not played 50 games yet. (11 and 44)

Roughead was never a good Fullback with us.
    Young got 20 possessions and 9 marks in his first game. Obvious talent and should have had a lot more games in the last 2 years. He is being remoulded, not developed.

Schache kicked goals regularly at the end of last season and was a match winner against Hawthorn. what is he learning in the vfl? Nothing.

Interesting that we have seen both used in the ruck, no wonder they cannot perfect their craft.

back in the previous era a lot of people thought Roughead was going to be a good full back. Nobody ever thought he was a ruckman.

At Collingwood he has gone back to what he does best. And he is doing it better than anybody we can put on the field.

We don’t need a team of champions, a champion team would be a massive improvement.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now.

Points for we are 9th with 888
    Points against we are 17th with 1001

Been awful defensively in particular these last few weeks.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Right now.

Points for we are 9th with 888
    Points against we are 17th with 1001

Been awful defensively in particular these last few weeks.
    how many of the 380 points kicked against us in the last 3 weeks were generated on our backline? Not that many.

Yesterday the eagles got about 70 from stoppages.

yes, the backline can improve but that is only part of the solution. The team selection ( playing positions), the game strategy and the forward craft all must be improved too.

Against Carlton last time all were disastrous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    how many of the 380 points kicked against us in the last 3 weeks were generated on our backline? Not that many.

Yesterday the eagles got about 70 from stoppages.

yes, the backline can improve but that is only part of the solution.
    Where did eastdog say it was about the backline? He said we were terrible DEFENSIVELY. Defending starts at full-forward.

As soon as I watched our forwards leave Hurn and McGovern in the first quarter to LEAD for the ball, I knew we were doomed. You have to play against those blokes with an elbow in there BACK. AT ALL TIMES. For some reason, things like this - like going into the game with a defensive mindset (but a positive attitude) is completely lost on us. Yes - they scored from stoppages. Of course they did. Because our mids make zero effort to account for a player - we have an arm on them, the ball goes in the air, our blokes forget their opponent and get magnetised by the ball and some 'plan' they have to win it...WRONG ATTITUDE.

Forward craft? Give me a spell. We didn't need forward craft. We needed a bit of focus on the defensive side of the game. Allowing West Coast to kick 14 goals in a half is an absolute joke...

I tell you one thing - if we have kept them to 10x scoring shots in the second half we would have had a chance to win no matter how bad our forward craft was. Letting them kick 14? The '89 Cat's couldn't have run them down.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Forward craft? Give me a spell. We didn't need forward craft. We needed a bit of focus on the defensive side of the game. Allowing West Coast to kick 14 goals in a half is an absolute joke.
    in the second half West Coast, who is a much stronger and better team, had 18 shots at goal for 14 goals.

in the first half we had 14 shots at goal for 4 goals.

with that sort of forward work we will never win, because our game plan for their kick out allows the opposition to run the ball effortlessly into their forward line 9 or 10 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ok, let me describe them as tall players that can play.

Assuming Trengove rucks, who plays on Kennedy, Cox, Buddy, Cameron, Dixon, Hawkins, Hipwood, Lynch, Hogan, Daniher (when fit), Bruce, Brown, Wight and Mckay?
    I think the original plan was Naughton but with Boyd on a LTIL and no replacement sought for him Naughty was sent forward which worked.
    It just screams that we are lacking in KP depth. It makes you wonder why we didn't try and replace Adams?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    in the second half West Coast, who is a much stronger and better team, had 18 shots at goal for 14 goals.

in the first half we had 14 shots at goal for 4 goals.

with that sort of forward work we will never win, because our game plan for their kick out allows the opposition to run the ball effortlessly into their forward line 9 or 10 times.
    ...Which is a DEFENSIVE PROBLEM.

Points are going to be kicked. We missed some absolute sodas yesterday...that isn't forward 'craft' - it's just missing goals. It does happen. It shouldn't happen as often as it does to our team, but it has happened since the game was first played.

Our reaction to that and commitment to make sure we get the ball back is PUTRID. Other teams kick a point and think '7-point play'...why isn't that our attitude???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In hindsight which is a wonderful thing we should have drop Naughty back to defence after the first couple of minutes in the 3rd.
    Not that it would have probably made much difference.
    I found Hunter annoying again on the weekend. When he needs to move it on he holds on to it and looks to much down the line instead of a short option in the middle. If moved quickly players are free and made the move early to get separation.
    But I saying that he would most likely lollipop it to them and take away any advantage.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I found Hunter annoying again on the weekend. When he needs to move it on he holds on to it and looks to much down the line instead of a short option in the middle. If moved quickly players are free and made the move early to get separation.
    But I saying that he would most likely lollipop it to them and take away any advantage.
    He's the master of the U-Turn.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Only watched the 1st half whcih I though was really good aside from the latter part of the 2nd. That said we had to work hard for our goals and a number of the behinds in the first half were rushed. I can't help but wonder though that if we are 10 goals 4 behinds at half time instead of 4/10 whether that would have swung the result our way.

I agree that defensively we dont and haven't been playing a team defense game and our forwards and mids are lazy when it comes to running the other way and putting pressure on the ball carrier, but kicking for goal and putting scoreboard pressure helps with this and we failed in the first half t exert this.

Didn't watch the 2nd half of the game so can't comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Only watched the 1st half whcih I though was really good aside from the latter part of the 2nd. That said we had to work hard for our goals and a number of the behinds in the first half were rushed. I can't help but wonder though that if we are 10 goals 4 behinds at half time instead of 4/10 whether that would have swung the result our way.

I agree that defensively we dont and haven't been playing a team defense game and our forwards and mids are lazy when it comes to running the other way and putting pressure on the ball carrier, but kicking for goal and putting scoreboard pressure helps with this and we failed in the first half t exert this.

Didn't watch the 2nd half of the game so can't comment.
    Lazy or poor coaching / lack of motivation? I find it hard to believe that Bont, Jack, and other midfielders who played out of their skins in 2016 are lazy. They are highly trained sportsmen and they know what to do, or should. Methinks there might be a chance they are sulking about something.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Lazy or poor coaching / lack of motivation? I find it hard to believe that Bont, Jack, and other midfielders who played out of their skins in 2016 are lazy. They are highly trained sportsmen and they know what to do, or should. Methinks there might be a chance they are sulking about something.
    Sulking? If so or anyone else for that matter is, maybe they should think about all the hard earnt dollars every member has wasted on this club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Sulking? If so or anyone else for that matter is, maybe they should think about all the hard earnt dollars every member has wasted on this club.
    Do you really feel that way? That's never been even a second thought for me and we've been through vastly harder tests than this
    I think most of the players have a respect for the fans who turn up at games and support the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do you really feel that way? That's never been even a second thought for me and we've been through vastly harder tests than this
    I think most of the players have a respect for the fans who turn up at games and support the club.
    Sulking is a poor word on my part. Just not feeling it as a group. Very young people, and so much is expected of them.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus