Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 13, Vs Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we should try and tag him. I am thinking of Mclean.
    A suggestion worth considering despite the size difference, I wonder if it could run McLean into a bit better form as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should try and tag him. I am thinking of Mclean.
    Mclean doesn't have the size or body strength to compete with Cripps, has to be Dunkley.

Post Thanks / Like

Given Carlton's height in the forward line exposed us last time surely there must be some temptation to bring in Lewis Young or Schache in (subject to fitness tests) so that we can add some extra height back there. I think Young or Gardner (perhaps both) need to go back and help Cordy.

Many of you know I was banging on about bringing Trengove to the club for years ago but one of the primary reasons was that I remember him as a junior footballer shadowing Kreuzer around in a TAC final between the Cannons and Knights and performing strongly.
    Kreuzer returned from injury in our previous encounter this season and toweled up Tim English and the following week Trengove returned to our senior line up. I'm hoping we consider using Trengove to match up on Kreuzer again this week or at the least to help out Big Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Mclean doesn't have the size or body strength to compete with Cripps, has to be Dunkley.
    That's the concern, still it's probably going to need a tandem.

Can you see us trying to curb Cripps or just backing our mids to perform?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    I am thinking more the ground work rather than in the air. We will lose something if Dunkley becomes a straight tagger.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's the concern, still it's probably going to need a tandem.

Can you see us trying to curb Cripps or just backing our mids to perform?
    I would be inclined to give Macrae the responsibility. He needs something to change his output and I would put it on him to get the better of Cripps. He is big enough and can compete in the air (despite often choosing not to) and on the ground.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I would be inclined to give Macrae the responsibility. He needs something to change his output and I would put it on him to get the better of Cripps. He is big enough and can compete in the air (despite often choosing not to) and on the ground.
    Worth considering as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Good call. Maybe whisper in his ear as he is about to run out on the ground that Cripps is the sort of player he should be modelling himself on so pay attention to the little things he does because currently that is the difference between Jack Macrae and the best players in the competition (in that the better players kick goals, try and take overhead marks and dont wander around the field with their hands on their hips.) Put it on Jack that he is a better player than his output at the moment suggests and we shouldn't really be using him to tag the opposition gun but that's where we are at the moment.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking more the ground work rather than in the air. We will lose something if Dunkley becomes a straight tagger.
    Which team will suffer more if both Cripps & Dunkley have minimal effect on the game?

11. Likes Ozza, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Which team will suffer more if both Cripps & Dunkley have minimal effect on the game?
    Yeah this is my view as well. As long as Bontempelli isn't tagging him then as long as it's somewhat effective i don't care who we put on him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Having Dunkley tag or "put some time into" (as Bevo likes to say it) Cripps is essential. Dunks is very strong and competitive and the only suitable person to do the role in my view. And Mantis is spot on - that if both Dunks and Cripps have a limited impact then we are better off. Ideal realistic scenario is that Dunks and Cripps both finish with 18-20 possessions. If that happens we will win.

I'd like to see Macrae and Hunter play as wingmen for the day. Libba to go inside with Bont and Dunks as much as possible, and for us to actually play some tall defenders.

14. Likes GVGjr, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

I'd like to see Macrae and Hunter play as wingmen for the day. Libba to go inside with Bont and Dunks as much as possible, and for us to actually play some tall defenders.
    I'd like to get McLean around the contest more too... we seriously lack creative & agile players in the middle and he fills this void.

Agree on the choice of wingmen too, I really struggle on why Macrae has become an inside mid when he's much more suited to playing around the periphery.

If Carlton go with McKay, Casboult, McGovern & Curnow up forward how would you match them up?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to get McLean around the contest more too... we seriously lack creative & agile players in the middle and he fills this void.

Agree on the choice of wingmen too, I really struggle on why Macrae has become an inside mid when he's much more suited to playing around the periphery.

If Carlton go with McKay, Casboult, McGovern & Curnow up forward how would you match them up?
    In order, Lewis Young, Trengove, Wood and Cordy would be my match-ups and Gardner would be a back-up

Post Thanks / Like

I just read that there is a doubt on Gowers fitness and that both Crozier and Wallis are likely to be available
    Would Dickson also be a strong candidate to come in for Gowers?

Post Thanks / Like

How did Dickson do last week in the V?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus