Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 13, Vs Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is the key to beating Carlton, he killed us last time. They don't have anyone else in the midfield.

Could Mclean play as a tagger?
    I think we need a defensive forward if Simpson is healthy to play again.
    We've tried McLean and Suckling there. Perhaps Rhylee or Porter get their shot? Porter laid 8 tackles last week and Rhylee just looks like he will be a player.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think we need a defensive forward if Simpson is healthy to play again.
    We've tried McLean and Suckling there. Perhaps Rhylee or Porter get their shot? Porter laid 8 tackles last week and Rhylee just looks like he will be a player.
    It was very hard to pick out who played well yesterday at VFL ad the conditions were atrocious. Rhylee was the stand out along with Porter and Lew Young.

I will wait till this weeks VFL game before deciding on who is in and out.

At this stage, I am thinking Mclean needs a spell, I am still not impressed with Dale - he had chances to kick a few and just fluffs it.

Williams was very disappointing and the break for Smith can't come quick enough.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton most likely to sack their coach - hope it happens this week and not the week after

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What did we learn from the West Coast game that can be applied to give a better result in the next one?

1. look at the last minute of play. McLean marks on the lead 45 metres from goal (on an angle). Walks back to 60 metres. Kicks inboard to a teammate 60 metres from goal. They walk back to 70 metres. They pass to someone 40 metres from goal but it is turned over.

Two inside 50s and no shot at goal. Why? Because the first entry was dumb and should not have happened.

The team needs to develop forward craft. Who can kick what and from where.

2. Look at the match stats in the Age. One of West Coast’s top 10 possession getters had more handballs than kicks. Guess what it was for the Dogs. That’s the reason our backline gets overwhelmed, the kicking teams have better score lines.

we had 50 more handballs than Geelong but they kicked 21-6 and we had 45 more than West Coast and they kicked 21-7.

obviously some handball is great, but a lot of ours simply puts forwards and backs in poor situations.

Post Thanks / Like

MJP has been telling us that we have a problem defending, and that was highly evident yesterday, yet we have been banging on about inaccuracy in front of goal. Guess what, that is our problem - defence all over the ground.
    we had 40 more disposals than Geelong and 20 more than West Coast. But got smashed both times.

What we do with the ball is our biggest problem.

fix that and the defenders will have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton most likely to sack their coach - hope it happens this week and not the week after
    Your wish granted.
    Bolton gone.

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Your wish granted.
    Bolton gone.
    Better than just before our game.

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Macrae mentally checked out? He's a shadow of his former self.

At halftime I had JJ as an out to make a statement, however he clearly responded to a bake at halftime.

I'd put Gardner back, English forward, and put Trengove in the ruck. If Carlton get easy supply to Cripps they win, inside mid opponents can kill us (Cripps, Cunnington have done it and evn Gaff destroyed us for clearances yesterday).
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see Macrae following Dah's example from last year and request a trade to "freshen up". He looks frustrated by the chaotic nature of the team and random roles players play from week to week, and looks like he's just going through the motions until the season finishes. He's a player who's very strong on his views of where and how he plays his best footy, and likes stability, neither of which he's getting anymore. I can see him fielding offers where he can play as a permanent midfielder with a defined role in a team with some stability. I hope I'm wrong because he's close to my favourite player but he's playing like someone looking for the door.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Macrae mentally checked out? He's a shadow of his former self.

At halftime I had JJ as an out to make a statement, however he clearly responded to a bake at halftime.

I'd put Gardner back, English forward, and put Trengove in the ruck. If Carlton get easy supply to Cripps they win, inside mid opponents can kill us (Cripps, Cunnington have done it and evn Gaff destroyed us for clearances yesterday).
    You had JJ out at half time as a statement?
    He made one awful mistake (although I could see what he was trying to do, the WCE player tread water rather than being drawn to JJ) - but otherwise, at half time I think JJ had 18 possessions and was going at 90% efficiency and cover more metres gained that anyone on the ground. He was breaking the lines and hitting targets and was our best on ground.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing is for sure - we won't tag Cripps. He'll just get 35+ because we are much too clever to tag.

Gaff must have slept in the change rooms the night before the game he'd have been that excited. His last 5 games v us, 5 wins, and 175 disposals (35 per game). Him and Darling just dine out on us every single time.

So we will allow Cripps to do the same.

Will also look forward to watching Lachie Young and Easton Wood play on Carlton forwards that are 10-12 cms taller than them. Cordy too I'd guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    we had 40 more disposals than Geelong and 20 more than West Coast. But got smashed both times.

What we do with the ball is our biggest problem.

fix that and the defenders will have a chance.
    I don't want to go back and check the numbers for Geelong, but vs West Coast we had more possessions...but LESS KICKS.

Without wanting to dig out my posts of two weeks ago where I detailed all of this let me cut to the chase:

1/. Our ball movement is a MASSIVE problem - we over handball and generally f about with it. And we play-on too much particularly when we have no 'forwards' (aka team-mates) in position ahead of us to receive the ball.

2/. Whilst our ball movement cannot be isolated from our defensive mechanisms (obviously), for you to continue to insist that if we just use the ball a bit better everything will be OK is simply crazy. We are not set behind the ball EVER.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I would have dropped Macrae after the last game against Carlton and said so on here (not that I got a lot of support for it at the time). Terrible body language and it has not gotten any better...yesterday it may have been the worst I have ever seen it.

Maybe he is injured - if so, I wish the club would just tell us.

As an aside, has Bontempelli played a worse game than he did yesterday? What is actually WRONG with these guys? Why does it seem as if they simply don't care? (I know that they do - and are suffering a lot more than we are - but it just LOOKS TERRIBLE). Gowers does stupid things and is frustrating, but at least (in his own misdirected ways) he seems as if he gives a @#$%.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I would have dropped Macrae after the last game against Carlton and said so on here (not that I got a lot of support for it at the time). Terrible body language and it has not gotten any better...yesterday it may have been the worst I have ever seen it.

Maybe he is injured - if so, I wish the club would just tell us.

As an aside, has Bontempelli played a worse game than he did yesterday? What is actually WRONG with these guys? Why does it seem as if they simply don't care? (I know that they do - and are suffering a lot more than we are - but it just LOOKS TERRIBLE). Gowers does stupid things and is frustrating, but at least (in his own misdirected ways) he seems as if he gives a @#$%.
    Is it a loss of confidence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yes. And I really think we need to do something drastic, not just continue as if everything is fine.

After Macrae's last efforts he needs to be read the riot act. It's all well and good to demote a Schache or Richards as second year players with us, but right now we need to reward effort over reputation/ability.
    Bailey Dale with zero tackles in two games goes as well for mine until he can demonstrate intensity.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a loss of confidence?
    Defensive running isn't about confidence as much as it's about care and effort.
    Macrae just isn't getting to enough contests in any phase of the game in comparison to what he's capable of.