Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  77
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 14, Vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So....what did you come back with?

1. I don’t actually have an issue with whatever we decide...unless what we decide is just to roll with it and let the match-ups be as they may. At the end of the game if we have conceded 25+ touches to Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips and treloar - and let Sidebottom win the ‘metres gained’ tally...well, we are gonna lose again.

2. We need to have a shutdown player on our list...why not try Hayes? Why not try Dale? Hayes actually has a lot of attributes for the job and Dale could do with learning how hard he needs to run to get a kick...
    Oh, I can see the arguable merit of both ideas from a coaching perspective, I just don't think either's likely to work, but I suppose if we're going to salvage anything from this year it might be some measure of 'development' so sure, why not? That's about where we're at, throwing some proverbial at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Sidebottom's their version of Macrae when Jacko's on song; in everything, everywhere, tireless running forward and back, linking, distributing, a thousand cuts type stuff.

I'd be inclined to give Smith the job with licence to go where opportunity presents, he'll certainly be around it enough if Sidebottom's his quarry all game.

It's games like these where you wish we'd groomed an understudy to Picken.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Maynot have to worry about Stephenson. He is under investigation for betting on a Collingwood game.Potential to be out for the year, if true.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

An interesting concept, but will it catch on?

No evidence yet.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, it isn't as if Picken had been doing much tagging during 2015/16...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maynot have to worry about Stephenson. He is under investigation for betting on a Collingwood game.Potential to be out for the year, if true.
    Wow what a surprise that Stephenson would do something stupid.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, it isn't as if Picken had been doing much tagging during 2015/16...
    You're bang on but suspect you take my point.

It's as much about Picken's dogged hunger to dedicate himself to a task for the greater good, even if it was before he morphed into a sub-six-foot CHF.

You scan our list now for the most logical replacement and, well ... Bailey Dale come on down apparently.

Bigger picture I suppose, Bevo's not proven the most enthusiastic deployer of hard tags, so none of this should shock.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

If we remember the last time we played them, for me, the number one priority is to curb Grundy's influence. Do that and we are on the way to limiting the effect of Treloar and Pendlebury
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    If we remember the last time we played them, for me, the number one priority is to curb Grundy's influence. Do that and we are on the way to limiting the effect of Treloar and Pendlebury
    I think someone should continually pinch Grundy's arm, like Stratton v Fantasia. That should do it.
    I haven't noticed that ruckmen block each other like a block in volleyball but maybe that is a good tactic for English against Grundy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I think someone should continually pinch Grundy's arm, like Stratton v Fantasia. That should do it.
    I haven't noticed that ruckmen block each other like a block in volleyball but maybe that is a good tactic for English against Grundy.
    volleyball blocks....i like that. but i wanna see english just keep going. his skills are excellent. just needs time. playing on the best is what makes you a better player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    volleyball blocks....i like that. but i wanna see english just keep going. his skills are excellent. just needs time. playing on the best is what makes you a better player.
    Grundy is carrying injuries so I expect English to do better. But the selectors need to include a plan B, the absence of one cost us a win last time.

Not blaming English, blaming the selectors.

Post Thanks / Like

You scan our list now for the most logical replacement and, well ... Bailey Dale come on down apparently.
    Ummm - I guess...but not really.

Our players are assets. Or should be. But no matter what we say about versatility, the ability to play half-forward, wing or half-back is not being versatile...it is just playing footy. The ability to play as a running half-back or shut-down defender depending on circumstances (the way a player like Maynard from this weeks' opposition does) is being TRULY versatile. This point seems lost on us sometimes.

I wasn't thinking in a 'Bailey Dale come on down' - I was thinking in a 'how are we going to get something out of this asset'...he seems completely lost at the moment AND seems to be pigeon holed as a flanker 'type' who can do 'clever' things. We need to give him the opportunity to 'break out' of that mould and do 'something different' otherwise he will be off the list and elsewhere before we realise what has happened.

Basically, something isn't working. We have a need. Can we find a way to join the dots?

Now - to those who say "It wont work", well, that's great. You don't actually know that. You don't know what's inside him and what he might be prepared to do if challenged. For all we know, he is limiting himself to fit into the 'pigeon hole' assigned by the coaches and simply needs permission to break out of it...

14. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to give him the opportunity to 'break out' of that mould and do 'something different' otherwise he will be off the list and elsewhere before we realise what has happened.
    Agree, however, this should be done in the VFL, so he can practise.

I like the way Lippa was thrust into the role as an inside mid at VFL level, and stayed in that role for at least 6 weeks, (despite supporters yelling at the MC to promote him earlier) and LIppa proved he can play that role and was given a promotion.

Lewis Young is also working on his craft as is Schache, so maybe as you say, we need to look at what Dale can do in in a different role - at VFL level.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree, however, this should be done in the VFL, so he can practise.
    No disrespect, but who is playing VFL footy at the moment who would prepare him to play a role against Treloar or Sidebottom. In the VFL, Bailey Dale IS the equivalent of the players who he needs to compete against at AFL level.

This role doesn't require practise. It requires CONCENTRATION and a willingness to compete...if he wants to do it, he can do it. He doesn't need to prepare for this in the VFL (though I take your point that it is a good strategy in most instances),

Post Thanks / Like

So....what did you come back with?

1. I don’t actually have an issue with whatever we decide...unless what we decide is just to roll with it and let the match-ups be as they may. At the end of the game if we have conceded 25+ touches to Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips and treloar - and let Sidebottom win the ‘metres gained’ tally...well, we are gonna lose again.

2. We need to have a shutdown player on our list...why not try Hayes? Why not try Dale? Hayes actually has a lot of attributes for the job and Dale could do with learning how hard he needs to run to get a kick...
    Hayes has the tank by all accounts. The other option is McLean who at least is good enough overhead to play a smaller 'get out' role down the line if he's matched on on Sidebottom.

We have a very left-field option who has played defence and defensive forward - Roarke. He may have a future pinch hitting as a defensive forward against teams that have a genuine A grade rebounder.

Trengove's fitness is a big issue, hobbled off last week and we just need to find someone to make Cox accountable. If Brick is unavailable do we roll the dice with Cordy? Giving Cox an unimpeded run at the ball will kill us and Garnder was brushed aside by Casbault very easily, Le Young doesn't seem to have the body on body nous to stop him either. We may have to throw the job to Cordy and hope it take Cox three quarters to work out he can just reach over the top of him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect, but who is playing VFL footy at the moment who would prepare him to play a role against Treloar or Sidebottom. In the VFL, Bailey Dale IS the equivalent of the players who he needs to compete against at AFL level.

This role doesn't require practise. It requires CONCENTRATION and a willingness to compete...if he wants to do it, he can do it. He doesn't need to prepare for this in the VFL (though I take your point that it is a good strategy in most instances),
    Sorry MJP, I must have not followed the thread properly, I was talking in general terms and not specifically Dale as a shut down role.