Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  77
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 14, Vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Roarke is not another HBF added to the team.

He has been playing well at Footscray and the reports indicate as a type of defensive forward. Last week I went to the Footscray game and he appeared to play wing half forward and was very creative.

He deserves hi spot.
    Ok that's fine but the other ins Dureya and Richards. We lost a key midfielder in Libba and doesn't make sense to drop a guy who could fill that role or at least bring in someone else to add some midfield depth. Lipinski did well last week so I'm guessing he'll have to shoulder some bigger rotations through there which I still don't think he's suited to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Ok that's fine but the other ins Dureya and Richards. We lost a key midfielder in Libba and doesn't make sense to drop a guy who could fill that role or at least bring in someone else to add some midfield depth. Lipinski did well last week so I'm guessing he'll have to shoulder some bigger rotations through there which I still don't think he's suited to do.
    A strange time to drop Maclean with Libba missing. I would prefer to move Daniel with his ball getting ability into the midfield and play Richards in his rightful position in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    A strange time to drop Maclean with Libba missing. I would prefer to move Daniel with his ball getting ability into the midfield and play Richards in his rightful position in defence.
    We have about 10 HBF’s in the side so Richards will play where he’s put.. in more interested in his intensity around the ball as there’s been lots of short steps and half hearted attempts this season.

McLean being dropped is a poor reflection on our MC who were developing him into a very good mid and then plonked him up forward.

4. Likes azabob, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    McLean being dropped is a poor reflection on our MC who were developing him into a very good mid and then plonked him up forward.
    He has played most of his football with us in the forward line and went into the midfield last year out of necessity due to injuries. With Libba coming back this season, and Lipinski now proving he can play inside, Toby had to go back to the forward line as indicated in this article: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-...to-attack-2019

Unfortunately he has been poor all season, and even when he has had stints in the middle, he has fumbled and not shown much.

It is up to him now to make his way back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We have about 10 HBF’s in the side so Richards will play where he’s put.. in more interested in his intensity around the ball as there’s been lots of short steps and half hearted attempts this season.

Richards was a fine player in defence last year and should have been left there. You are right, we have simply recruited too many back line players of similar type which is hard to fathom.

Post Thanks / Like

Just have a feeling Le Young will be a late in, perfect week to play him with Reid in.

The Bench is humorous indeed.

Hayden Crozier, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith.

Back flanker anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Just have a feeling Le Young will be a late in, perfect week to play him with Reid in.

Back flanker anyone?

Back flankers all round!!!!!

You get a half back flanker, you get a half back flanker, everyone gets a half back flanker...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post

Back flanker anyone?
    They can all play in multi positions. Who cares.

Richards and Roarke haven't played back the whole year and Suckling has been playing forward. Worked well last week, especially in the 3rd quarter when he stopped Carlton's momentum.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope Duryea has been brought in to stifle one of the Collingwood movers. If that's the case then I'm not too worried about having too many half backs flanker types.

As for Crozier he's a crucial part of our aerial defence and is used to spring our attack forward. And if the other two are being used or developed to be players other than half back flankers and have performed well in alternative roles at the lower level so I don't really see what the heartburn is all about.

We actually need to collectively acknowledge that we're developing and take a bit of a breath. I genuinely believe we're a good chance of winning tomorrow, and if we do we'll be six and seven - so with that in mind I wonder if we'll give the coaching staff/MC any credit for it and reflect on whether many of us actually believed we'd be at that position 13 games in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by kruder View Post

Lewis Young should have been in weeks ago and should be today. Rather sick of our Lilliputian backline being torched by team selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They can all play in multi positions. Who cares.

Richards and Roarke haven't played back the whole year and Suckling has been playing forward. Worked well last week, especially in the 3rd quarter when he stopped Carlton's momentum.
    And there lies the issue with the Western Bulldogs, they all can play multiple positions who cares. How well can they play multiple positions? I thought you said playing mids as forwards was an issue?

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    That's a pretty unfair post.
    On the basis that you don't like the team lineup you infer that we, a professional sports club, selected someone because he's Bevo's skateboard buddy and has some plan that ends up with all his buddies in the team.
    And then asserted that Mclean will leave us, because he's a victim of being played in the wrong position.

C'mon...you're better than that.
    Yes, Mclean had a good year in the midfield last year. But with Libba coming back in, and Bailey Smith demanding selection our midfield unit has to become more flexible. And to be honest, its not as if this is a role foreign to Mclean; he's done it all bar last year.
    To me it's clear he's broken some in-house, non-negotiables last week that has resulted in his demotion.
    As for Dicko, he still kicked 2 goals last week and worked hard (if not noticeably).
    Roarke has according to reports done well and deserves a chance.

I was hoping we'd bring Lewis Young in this week, but he's clearly in selectors thoughts (as is Mclean).
    Macrae & Libba's egos have survived the ignomy of being dropped. I suspect Mclean will do similar and earn his spot back soon.
    And I am more than happy to stand by my post. This game was lost at selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    How?

We won every stat with the exception of clearances.
    We HAD more scoring shots. We lost by a kick...

I just don't understand how you can say the selection of Dickson/Smith and the non-selection of Toby cost us the game. Dickson was fine - 20 touches and a couple of goals...what did he do wrong today?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I said it on Thursday and I'll say it again but I think the MC got the selections right. R.Smith might not have performed liked we hoped but we had to play him between now and the end of the season and I'd be confident that he will play against Port next week. We absolutely need to play some of the fringe guys before the end of the season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Right, so you're happy to double down on asserting Bevo is more interested in picking a skateboard buddy, with a master plan of getting all his mates in the team?

If Mclean served up what he had done thus far this year he would not have made a jot of difference.

Richards & Schache were dropped, and they came back into the side and looked noticeably better than they were prior to being demoted.
    Hopefully Tobe's does similar and comes back and makes an even better impression.