Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  27
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 15, Vs Port Adelaide

I don't watch much VFL - and I missed the 1st quarter Sunday - but I was surprised Lewis Young wasn't listed in our best. Thought he competed well and came away from a few contests cleanly with speed to release up the ground.

Cavarra is very neat with the ball, and I'm sucker for a good kick. Only saw his forward pressure exerted once as he came up the ground quite a bit, but he looks to have the tools ...whether he's ready yet or not (as in, games in the legs - he looks every bit a senior player physically)

In : Young, Cavarra

Out : both Smiths

Though Roarke did ok - but Cavarra would be better.

That pass from Bailey to Schache in the 3rd quarter was a gem showcasing a skillset our midfield lacks...but draws the short straw after a quiet game / needing a refresher.

Or you could drop Wood and have Cordy play 3rd tall. Or drop Cordy I guess. I'm in tank mode really - I honestly enjoyed the game on Sunday, we'd have to be one of the better 4th from bottom sides in a while, we were pretty fierce at the contest (especially early) The lack of polish is of course frustrating, but another top 5 pick could help address this sort of thing (see Smith, Bailey)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I don't watch much VFL - and I missed the 1st quarter Sunday - but I was surprised Lewis Young wasn't listed in our best. Thought he competed well and came away from a few contests cleanly with speed to release up the ground.

Cavarra is very neat with the ball, and I'm sucker for a good kick. Only saw his forward pressure exerted once as he came up the ground quite a bit, but he looks to have the tools ...whether he's ready yet or not (as in, games in the legs - he looks every bit a senior player physically)

In : Young, Cavarra

Out : both Smiths

Though Roarke did ok - but Cavarra would be better.

That pass from Bailey to Schache in the 3rd quarter was a gem showcasing a skillset our midfield lacks...but draws the short straw after a quiet game / needing a refresher.

Or you could drop Wood and have Cordy play 3rd tall. Or drop Cordy I guess. I'm in tank mode really - I honestly enjoyed the game on Sunday, we'd have to be one of the better 4th from bottom sides in a while, we were pretty fierce at the contest (especially early) The lack of polish is of course frustrating, but another top 5 pick could help address this sort of thing (see Smith, Bailey)
    i think Cavarra will be a better player at the higher level. Just seems to have the football smarts only problem is he knows where the sticks are so that might count against him.

3. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If there is any chance of that whatsoever put me in the 'HELL YES' category.

(I don't think there is any chance of that btw. 2 would seem on the high side of where our expectations should be).
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    At this stage anyone with the ability to kick multiple and very little else should be a walk up start.
    Sorry I live in a fantasy world it should be 1 or 2 goals. But I think that would be handy if the pressure acts are there.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    i think Cavarra will be a better player at the higher level. Just seems to have the football smarts only problem is he knows where the sticks are so that might count against him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewy Young deserves a recall and agree Cavarra looks ready to go. I watch fair bit of dogs vfl especially at WO.

Post Thanks / Like

The season is cooked so let's use the remaining games to get some answers to the questions being asked about certain players. Lewis Young for example. Just play him for the rest of the year. Ben Cavarra same. What has happened to Lynch? He showed a bit last year. Move some players around. Try Corfu forward again. Keep Schache in no matter what. He needs to play. As soon as Gowers is right get him back in. Time to cast a searching eye over some of the troops.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

In: Lewis Young
    Out: Ayce Cordy

In: Set shot accuracy
    Out: Honorable losses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Another in: Don't leak goals, so in comes Defense.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Lewy Young deserves a recall and agree Cavarra looks ready to go. I watch fair bit of dogs vfl especially at WO.
    Do you think he needs an extra week or two to get his match fitness right up? I suspect he'll earn his chance in coming weeks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Do you think he needs an extra week or two to get his match fitness right up? I suspect he'll earn his chance in coming weeks.
    Fair enough-he was running hard and looked sharp on weekend. I suppose with Dickson and Lloyd kicking a few each there is no urgency. I do not think Bevo will drop Roarke after 1 game either. Not sure who else would realistically be dropped-as others have mentioned Lewy for Cordy. West was not as good with disposal on weekend and missed an easy goal too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Fair enough-he was running hard and looked sharp on weekend. I suppose with Dickson and Lloyd kicking a few each there is no urgency. I do not think Bevo will drop Roarke after 1 game either. Not sure who else would realistically be dropped-as others have mentioned Lewy for Cordy. West was not as good with disposal on weekend and missed an easy goal too.
    Gut feel is no change this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    In: Lew Young

Out: Cordy

Zaine needs a spell. He’s badly shook against talls and doesn’t really offer much except really earnest skills and toughness. Young has all the tools, has developed physically even since earlier this year and is a better athlete than most in the side. Time to see where his head is at.

I was tempted to rest B Smith but I think it’s less about wear and tear and more that he just had a bad game, as young players do. I’d also drop R Smith for McLean but that’s not happening so why even mention it as a possibility.
    But B. Smith is the top dog!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Zaine. Ayce was a long time ago.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gut feel is no change this week.
    Tend to agree, we played well in so many area's last week
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Zaine. Ayce was a long time ago.
    I'll put my hand up and say I get that wrong as well. I've called him Ayce a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'll put my hand up and say I get that wrong as well. I've called him Ayce a few times.
    It's the first name that usually comes into my head when I am trying to think of Zaine too. I think it's the A/Z binary thing.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite