Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 15, Vs Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Wood had 13 possessions on a superstar and did a lot of aerial spoilers.

Cordy had 10 possessions and his sloppy work cost goals. He is having a terrible season. Many of his opponents are getting career high bags of goals.

I think Cordy could be a great player, but not the way he is being used.
    In what way & what role can you see Zaine developing into a great player?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In what way & what role can you see Zaine developing into a great player?
    Cordy came to the club as a tall flanker. He was good when the ball was loose and had to be fought for at ground level. That led to his contributions in the 2016 finals.

His weakness has been fighting for a contested overhead mark against a big forward . unfortunately that’s the only job he has been given lately, and his body language suggests that he is struggling.

Put Young at centre half back and Cordy on a flank or up forward as a target. His chase down and goal from the boundary was a highlight of the grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it might be better to try those roles at VFL level and see if hes any good at them. Cordy is a liability atm.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy came to the club as a tall flanker. He was good when the ball was loose and had to be fought for at ground level. That led to his contributions in the 2016 finals.

His weakness has been fighting for a contested overhead mark against a big forward . unfortunately that’s the only job he has been given lately, and his body language suggests that he is struggling.

Put Young at centre half back and Cordy on a flank or up forward as a target. His chase down and goal from the boundary was a highlight of the grand final.
    I'm sorry, but you aren't improving the situation at all as in my opinion playing Young in Cordy's position. Cordy is far more effective (although shorter) than Young as a KP player - just watch Young's VFL form - he is not a body on body player at all and certainly doesn't have the aggressive qualities that Cordy has. At least Cordy, on his day, represents a challenge for the opposing forward.

The real issue for the club not having a KPB on our list at present, so need to persist with 'next best' i.e. Cordy.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you aren't improving the situation at all as in my opinion playing Young in Cordy's position. Cordy is far more effective (although shorter) than Young as a KP player - just watch Young's VFL form - he is not a body on body player at all and certainly doesn't have the aggressive qualities that Cordy has. At least Cordy, on his day, represents a challenge for the opposing forward.

The real issue for the club not having a KPB on our list at present, so need to persist with 'next best' i.e. Cordy.
    I appreciate that Cordy is a favourite but his continuous selection as CHF is not working this year.

In the 4 games prior to the Collingwood match he gave up 19 goals. On Sunday I counted 3 more.

He is terribly out of form at the moment. At least four times this year his opponent has kicked a career high number of goals.

I do agree with your statement: The real issue for the club not having a KPB on our list at present , and that shows poor planning.

Saving goals and improving Cordy’s contribution means making some change.

7. Likes Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood had 13 possessions on a superstar and did a lot of aerial spoilers.

Cordy had 10 possessions and his sloppy work cost goals. He is having a terrible season. Many of his opponents are getting career high bags of goals.

I think Cordy could be a great player, but not the way he is being used.
    He wasn't on De Goey that much at all, we were trying to free him up. I think Crozier spent as much time if not more on De Goey
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Who can actually tackle de Goey? He's marginally behind Stringer as a forward who can break tackles.
    On our list I'd back in a fit Dale Morris and perhaps Libba.
    I think this is a fair question. And I think doing uncommon things such as effectively tackle De Goey is EXACTLY why Wood is:
    A. In the team.
    B. Skipper.

If he can’t do that stuff, why is he in the side? He doesn’t play on talls, doesn’t play on true smalls , doesn’t really intercept mark, does win the footy, doesn’t offer much run and drive...

He is in the team cos he is heart and soul and he has to stick that tackle. And his line coach would have told them that before the game - shown them vision of the situation and told them for us to win they had to hang on...and he is tha captain and he HAD to do it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes hujsh, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    R Smith was ok. He stays.

Agree we need L Young in. I’d drop Williams (who I really like) and get Young in.
    I thought Williams played a better game than he had all year, he too has barely had his hands on the ball down back, but seems to play with a bit of confidence when up forward.
    I've been disappointed with Cordy all year, he has lost all confidence as a defender, you compare him to even last year and he's not the same. I think he's just had to play on the number 1 big guy too often and he's just not up to it.
    Without Moz or an Adams, we just have no stability down back. Easton is playing as a 1 on 1 when he needs to be the spare man cutting in front and using his leap to spoil.

I can't see any solution with the squad we have to be honest unless they want to try putting Naughton back, but then we are also extremely poor up forward at contested marking.

We are just going to have to get a couple of young key post players that actually may fill out to something larger than a stick.
    We need to find something in the state leagues that may help, as well as trade for a ready made or two.

Then all we need to sort out is our set shot kicking!

Smith was quiet but does he need a rest after just having a week off?

I think Cavarra might need to come in as well as Rylee West. Cavarra looks to have a bit of flash up forward and he just might provide a spark. West should be given a go as he has been ok. Kicked a nice goal from outside 50 against Northern Blues.
    That would leave us very small though, so that probably won't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see what Cavarra has although I think at this stage he would run out of puff by 3 quarter time.
    But he is an experience player who knows where the goals are and you would hope that he would position himself on the long ball to be in the right position when it hits the turf.
    Can we afford to carry a forward pocket in the hope he may get 3 or 4 goals but not much else. Big step up to the big league but it would be nice to see how he handles it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Can we afford to carry a forward pocket in the hope he may get 3 or 4 goals but not much else. Big step up to the big league but it would be nice to see how he handles it.
    If there is any chance of that whatsoever put me in the 'HELL YES' category.

(I don't think there is any chance of that btw. 2 would seem on the high side of where our expectations should be).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    At this stage anyone with the ability to kick multiple and very little else should be a walk up start.

Post Thanks / Like

Dependant on Port side, only change I'd make would be a tall defender if Westhoff is back, otherwise no change.

Post Thanks / Like

In: Lew Young

Out: Cordy

Zaine needs a spell. He’s badly shook against talls and doesn’t really offer much except really earnest skills and toughness. Young has all the tools, has developed physically even since earlier this year and is a better athlete than most in the side. Time to see where his head is at.

I was tempted to rest B Smith but I think it’s less about wear and tear and more that he just had a bad game, as young players do. I’d also drop R Smith for McLean but that’s not happening so why even mention it as a possibility.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Also if Lycett gets on top of Tim then Young in the side gives some flexibility to make a move. He’s really increased his strength and I think it’s feasible he could hang with Dixon one on one.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Hinkley saying that Ryder, Westhoff and SPP are likely to play SANFL this weekend.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 25-06-2019 at 05:25 PM.